Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

413 posts, read 828,130 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to Port Charlotte. Was wondering what tackle I should be stocking up on to fish the area Mayaka river Bay and Gulf.
I have a 17.5' Aquasport center console. Looking forward to a change in Attitude and Latitude!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dave View Post
We are going to be moving to Port Charlotte. Was wondering what tackle I should be stocking up on to fish the area Mayaka river Bay and Gulf.
I have a 17.5' Aquasport center console. Looking forward to a change in Attitude and Latitude!

Dave
TNT works good but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
You'll want to get multiple rods of different sizes with different tackle. I use a standard 6' rod with 10lb test mono filament leader of 20lb test as my main inshore. Problem is a lot of the fish have teeth so I carry the same setup with steel leader. Then I have two 9 ft rods that I put 65lb and 85lb braided line with 100lb steel leaders. I use almost exclusively circle hooks for using live shrimp. Use snelled hooks when using white bait. For. Lures, spoons work well, doa shrimp, and jigheads. Get yourself an 8ft cast net to catch the greenbacks,pinfish, finger mullets and ballyhoo youurself they are the best bait.

Have a net to help land fish, I have lost many at boatside because I've tried lifting out of the water only to snap the line at the last second. Happy fishing

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM

196 posts, read 504,425 times
Usually the Newspapers print were they are biting and what they are nibbling on,,,I know Newspress does,,for Lee County Area,,FYI

Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I've received some great advice from the forum for Florida at TheHullTruth.com

Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,469 times
Default ? for fisherman

You might go on the Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice forum listed on the main Florida forum on City Data as we have a current Fishing Charlotte Harbor thread that gets updated all the time from locals and has pics posted as well. There are a lot of guys and gals that fish around the area of Myaka River, and are willing to share their thoughts and experience.

Last edited by Foxrivman1; 03-25-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: addition to post

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM

106 posts, read 165,750 times
Fox thank you for the info to the other thread, I woke up at 1:30am and started reading nearly the entire thread!

Fishing will be pretty hot here soon, ironically we live on the FOX River just south of Green Bay WI.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 AM

Cobalt502, so you have a Cobalt, with a 502 is that right? Loved those boats and almost bought one years ago.

I used to fish the Green Bay area in tournaments for smallies in the 90's and caught some of the biggest fish of my life there.

Thanks for the thumbs up on our post, the guys on the post on Sarasota are great, and we have collectively been able to get a lot of info out to people in the area.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM

106 posts, read 165,750 times
Yes we actually had one, sold it and purchased a Aqua Patio 24' Pontoon set up with a fishing seat in back and a live well which works perfect for both lounging and fishing! I never could get myself to fish from the Cobalt, I kept it to immaculate. I loved the Cobalt but living on a lock controlled river it didn't take to long to get to the next lock (72mph) We did take it to Door County a few times but not enough to really enjoy what the boat was made for. We use the pontoon a lot more than any other boat we have owned.

Yes this time of the year you can nearly walk across the river on boats up in De Pere there are so many people fishing for Wallies! There are some monsters up at the Dam! The Fox is also known for Muskies and world record Catfish.

Thanks again for the link!

We will be coming down as soon as we can get our real estate deal squared away, not permanent yet but hopefully in a few years?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt502 View Post
Yes we actually had one, sold it and purchased a Aqua Patio 24' Pontoon set up with a fishing seat in back and a live well which works perfect for both lounging and fishing! I never could get myself to fish from the Cobalt, I kept it to immaculate. I loved the Cobalt but living on a lock controlled river it didn't take to long to get to the next lock (72mph) We did take it to Door County a few times but not enough to really enjoy what the boat was made for. We use the pontoon a lot more than any other boat we have owned.

Yes this time of the year you can nearly walk across the river on boats up in De Pere there are so many people fishing for Wallies! There are some monsters up at the Dam! The Fox is also known for Muskies and world record Catfish.

Thanks again for the link!

We will be coming down as soon as we can get our real estate deal squared away, not permanent yet but hopefully in a few years?

We are moving down near the end of August and will be there in June as well to look for a place to live. If you have kids a pontoon is great for fishing, tubing, anything else you may want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area