Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 13,267 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks new to the board.,
Glad to hear about SW Cape Coral, planning on moving there in 4-6 months from Pa..

But from what I hear I am a little concerned about the cheap prices of houses (70K, 80K ) in Cape Coral. Am I making the right decisons to move there?/ or am I not spending enough $$$.

Some say they are not such good areas for $70/$80K can I get a little help??

Thanks, looking forward to the move to Fl..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 PM

196 posts, read 504,308 times
Welcome,,if I have my way We would be there yesterday? Really Leaving Pennsylatukie? Lots of folks from here running there,[to PA],,Have you ever been to SWF,,you really need to take a trip spend some time and as most Ol' timers suggest,,rent 1st,,Were dug in and just cannot wait to get out from under the stupid cost of living on LI.
The homes in the cape are like the rest of the Country when were high they are high,,however I don't believe ever in my life will I ever see the rise in Real Estate we saw 4 yrs ago, and I dont care,,its all relative,, I wanna settle into an area with a slower pace, sunny skies, reduced cost of living, nice folks and a home I own outwright, I can go to sleep at night and sleep knowing nobody can pull the rug out from under me, as long as I cover my taxes! the Cape is nice, just plant some trees on your property, neighbors will love you,,and dont ever say " We did it this way up North" and you'll be fine,,my buddys that are always on here are laughing at me right now,,as I sound like them!lololol,,anywho,,do you have a job or income, I have heard a family[of 4] and I know I am going to get razzed about this comment, can live for $1200 a month,,w/o Health Insurance.
If you are interested in living in Ft Meyers there are good and bad areas and one in the cape from what I am told. But Ft meyers bad areas are way harsh. The news you read in the papers will last for a week as it is not ever changing Big City Breaking Headlines. Shopping is everywere, Beaches Fabulous! Lots of Carribean Flare, watch the Sunset while having dinner at the beach. But have a job and or income to survive. The Cape is split in 4 sections, SE, SW, NE, NW,,See if you can find a home in the SE SW with assesments paid,,this way you will not have a 20 or 30 thousand fee whan they come in to the area,,however if your used to Elbow room,,ck out the NW,,NE to me is like no mans land,,nice areas,,but I get really lost up there. Happy Hunting!!

*Go to the "Search"window and punch in what your looking for lots O'Answers here!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:03 AM

646 posts, read 1,641,583 times
Welcome!

70-80k is not an unrealistic budget, but it all depends what you are looking for.
a lot of these homes need tlc. Push your budget up to 99-110k, you can buy a move in ready, 3/2 home that Is newer. 125-135k you can find a clean pool home.
Find a realtor and stick with them if you like them. Most make the mistake thinking they can get a deal from the listing agent... Not the case. You want your own representation and someone on your side.
Are you going to live here for 6+mths out of the year? If so, you will get a discount on your taxes called a " homestead deduction". Go to leepa.org to learn more about filing and qualifications.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by CCRESI; 03-29-2011 at 05:53 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Thanks you guys are great!.

I came to Pa back in 1986 when it was nice and boy have things changed!. I am not happy out my way anymore in PA.. they have NY prices & cost of living is really starting to change and alot more drug trafficing going on. We all have concealed carry permits & dogs in our area but its time for me to move on.. Besides, I cant stand the snow or cold weather anymore. lol..

We are moving permanately up to Cape Coral. Our kids are all grown up and gone, and my Son is leaving for the Marines in 2 weeks. My wife is a nurse & I am in auto sales. Dont think we would have much trouble finding work, She has already been to a couple hospital and spoke to some people in FL. We are looking to pay cash for a house, We absolutely have been looking in the SE & SW areas....but I just want to make sure where all the good areas are??.

Last edited by iceman9999; 03-29-2011 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM

You guys will love the weather!

As far as "good" areas, drive around when you get down here. Everyone has a different opinion of a good area vs a bad one. South cape is more built up and divides at Santa barbara blvd.(E/W)
Look for a newer home With CBS, concrete block structure. I would stay away from wood framed homes.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
You guys will love the weather!

As far as "good" areas, drive around when you get down here. Everyone has a different opinion of a good area vs a bad one. South cape is more built up and divides at Santa barbara blvd.(E/W)
Look for a newer home With CBS, concrete block structure. I would stay away from wood framed homes.

Ok Thanks,
My wife is going back down in May to look around some more...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Good to hear!
Also it's hard to look at google maps when deciding on area, as in some areas they are outdated. They still show my home without having a fence, when it's been here for a few years.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
thanks for asking this question- I was wondering the same. We are looking to relocate to the Cape Coral area in the next year. Will be down in June to do some looking, then again in Dec.

I am also a nurse and my husband does utility locating (call before you dig). We have 3 daughters, and as far as school systems go if you all have a bus system then you are doing better then we are, thanks to budget cuts we have lost those.

I am getting really frustrated with friends/family who think this is the worst possible thing we could do. We are not deluded enough to think that FL is our promise land, but we both love FL. We come down 2 to 3 times a year. SE Ohio is just not FL. Good luck on your journey.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reservations4five View Post
thanks for asking this question- I was wondering the same. We are looking to relocate to the Cape Coral area in the next year. Will be down in June to do some looking, then again in Dec.

I am also a nurse and my husband does utility locating (call before you dig). We have 3 daughters, and as far as school systems go if you all have a bus system then you are doing better then we are, thanks to budget cuts we have lost those.

I am getting really frustrated with friends/family who think this is the worst possible thing we could do. We are not deluded enough to think that FL is our promise land, but we both love FL. We come down 2 to 3 times a year. SE Ohio is just not FL. Good luck on your journey.

My wife is getting excited and is dying to move out of Pa.. The hospitals here are getting to her.. lol.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 AM

We found a nice community maybe you guys can help its called coral lakes .. looks nice and not expensive..

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area