Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times

Advertisements

I have 4 properties and as would have none have the same rear exposure. Each have advantages and disadvantages. I have always preferred Western rear exposure with the garage on the north side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM

297 posts, read 509,123 times
When we shopped, Southern rear exposure was the most sought after. The home we loved and bought, has Eastern rear exposure. Was a little worried, turned out its been a blessing. We are back and forth all year. The summers the pool has enough morning sun, but shaded in the heat of the day.
No matter what folks say, its a personal preference. If you find a home, arrange to see the pool during different times of the day and afternoon. What I may like, you may not.......after all, its your home.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM

47 posts, read 147,037 times
Default Exposures

Southern and Eastern seem to be the most sought after based on my experience (licensed Realtor and urban planner.) Personally, I have not lived in a home with a southern exposure, but love my current homes eastern exposure.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,260 times
Are you there year round? I think that does make a difference if you are year round vs just come for a few months in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltspla View Post
Southern and Eastern seem to be the most sought after based on my experience (licensed Realtor and urban planner.) Personally, I have not lived in a home with a southern exposure, but love my current homes eastern exposure.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:59 PM

180 posts, read 276,899 times
Default rear western exposure

You need to consider how your house is built, and your lifestyle, along with the exposure. I love our rear western exposure. We are late risers, so early morning sun isn’t a priority. For the days when I do want the early morning sun, I have a sitting area off to the south side of the backyard/house that gets sun from sunrise to sunset. We can have breakfast here and it is nicely landscaped – quite charming. Our house is built in an “L” shape so the sliding doors to the pool don’t face the west and dont heat the house up or bother people in the house when the sun is setting. The patio around the house/pool has a large overhang or roof that will provide shade all day long. There is a sliding divider attached to the overhang that we can adjust anytime we want shade, wind protection or if the sun sinking low in the west is bothersome. I use it when it rains without having to bring stuff inside to keep my books etc from getting wet. I love the sun and tend to be in the pool and outdoors mostly afternoon/evening so the west works well for me. If it’s too hot, I have plenty of shade. In the cooler seasons, the western sun feels so good in the afternoon/evening and I love the sunset.
So look at the house design and be creative. Choose the house/area you like and work with it. You can always add shade, overhangs, and dividers. No matter what your exposure is, you can probably find a spot in your yard for a sitting area(s) that gets sun/shade at different times. Just make sure you get the sun at the times YOU want it.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
I almost bought a home across our basin with western exposure. I knew it would be great for sunsets. But all the homeowners on that side keep their hurricane shutters down in the afternoon because the sun is so hot and blinding. My rear exposure is northern. Our pool and deck are not in the homes shadow and gets sun all day. My northern exposure flat roof on the lanai has solar panels for the pool that also gets full sun all day. The down side is we have to go to the spa or dock to see the sunsets. I would probably be watching the sunset from the spa anyway.
Still for the OP, a winter resident, I would go for south or south west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area