U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM

395 posts, read 698,923 times

Advertisements

I an looking for your thoughts on the best rear exposure of a home with a pool and lanai.

My thinking is, that this is a big deal. Let me know what you think. THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,379,266 times
West facing will give nice sunsets but the setting sun every day is blinding and hot. East facing sunrises can wake you in the morning if you bedroom is in the rear of your home. South gives you sun all day. That is nice in the winter but torture in the summer. That leaves North. I think most people would think North is the worst until you really think about it.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM

31 posts, read 69,441 times
My thought is that exposure is a big deal as well. I have noticed that not many homes in the areas I am looking seem to come on the market with southern exposures......seems like people hold onto them. My realtor has said that southern exposure is "premium". I cannot say for sure until I finally get there myself! I would also say that depending on the size of the lanai area.....the other exposures may be fine. In the homes I have viewed, the larger lanai areas seem to get nice exposures no matter what.
Good Luck!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

45 posts, read 101,507 times
Gee! I thought that this was an adult topic.

I'd vote for Southern exposure when possible. You can add a Sun shade in the summer but you can't add Sun in the winter.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 AM

395 posts, read 698,923 times
I do know this..........we were in SW FL last winter (2009-2010) it was very cold and I wanted to sit out back and have my coffee. I had to wait until the sun hit the patio to warm things up. I think her house had a rear northern exposure. My biggest concern is not being able to sit out on the lanai during the summer afternoons.

One thing that totally turns me off, is, solar panels on the front of the house. I don't even consider these homes.

I hope we will be there soon.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM

3,636 posts, read 8,809,197 times
Make sure your neighbors don't get mad if you expose your rear...

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,017,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
I do know this..........we were in SW FL last winter (2009-2010) it was very cold and I wanted to sit out back and have my coffee. I had to wait until the sun hit the patio to warm things up. I think her house had a rear northern exposure. My biggest concern is not being able to sit out on the lanai during the summer afternoons.

One thing that totally turns me off, is, solar panels on the front of the house. I don't even consider these homes.

I hope we will be there soon.
Our's is facing west the lanai that is. To me it works the best You get lots of morning sun in the winter, we only have one window that faces south so it keeps the home cooler in the summer, and the windows get only sun in the late afternoon on the west side. If it's too much sun then you always have the option of putting in some blinds for the late afternoon lanai use. The way the homes are built here the majority of the windows are on the front and rear of the house.
As far as the pool goes if you choose solar option for heating the pool in the winter it doesn't really matter where the pool is located as long as the solar panels are in the right place.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM

646 posts, read 1,480,725 times
I have eastern expose and love it! It's sunny all day, shade around 4.
I would say buyers like anything but Northern rear.
West and South being most desirable, for me it's too hot.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM

225 posts, read 433,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
I an looking for your thoughts on the best rear exposure of a home with a pool and lanai.

My thinking is, that this is a big deal. Let me know what you think. THANK YOU
Eastern exposure is working just fine for me. Sunrise in the morning, shady in the late afternoon. If I want to see the sunset, I'll go out on my front porch.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM

964 posts, read 1,845,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyCF View Post
Eastern exposure is working just fine for me. Sunrise in the morning, shady in the late afternoon. If I want to see the sunset, I'll go out on my front porch.
Ditto. I carefully considered this before we purchased. IMO, eastern or southern exposure.

Here's what I've encountered:

With eastern exposure, only the side of the house gets northern exposure. so less worry on mildew / landscape issues. The northern facing driveway does get scummy, though, and needs to be powerwashed more often. The back lanai is sunny all day until about 3 PM - perfect for plants. Cooler for evening entertainment!

With southern exp, though, the lanai would be sunnier (and hotter) longer. Your home's front would face north and it would be more of a challenge with landscaping and the inevitable moss/mold mentioned above. BUT, the side of the house would block the worse of the summer western sun.

I'd stay away from western exposure - waaaay too hot. And northern? Nope. Heckuva lot of powerwashing there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area