Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times

Advertisements

San Carlos is what it is. It was never upscale although Three Oaks was very nice; very family orientated. But the older areas were always spotty. Due to the economy it has become a lot rougher.

I use to live in SCP. My MIL lived there for 26 years. I've had an aunt, uncle and a few cousins that lived there, too. My SIL still lives there with her husband and two kids.

As I've said, the minute you start to say things like "It's better than half of the places in Boston" you aren't saying much about the place. And the "crime can happen anywhere" is usually another stock answer. But I clearly stated that I hope nice people begin to move in. It will really turn the place around.

When the economy crashed I thought crime would rise in Lee County. On the whole that did not happen. However, a couple of places like Lehigh and SCP took a hit. Prices in SCP are now at 1980-1990s levels. You pretty much get what you would expect at $50,000.

I think Estero is a nice area. There are some very rough areas of Bonita and it is not a favorite of mine. I lived there for awhile and I was glad to be back at The Park. Of course, that was in 2002.

Cape Coral isn't perfect, either but I like it for it's neighborly feeling. It's simply a preference.

This is a forum. We all have opinions.

For what it is worth, Dogwood was never "known" for being a problem area. I truly wish you the best of luck. My husband grew up in SCP and I'd like to see it go back to the blue-collar family-friendly place that it was. The recent crime spike is very disconcerting.

Do you know why the OP said she found a lot of crime on that street when looking at the reports but you didn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj38 View Post
I actually put a bid on the house on Dogwood. Did some deep research. All have the neighbors own their homes and have been there at least 2 years with some being there 10 -20 years. Not much police activity on the block. There was a house on Dogwood on the other side of Sanibel Road that was a bit of a problem (a string of Nuisance calls) but it is now empty and on the market. Actually a safer area than when I lived in downtown Savannah, old town Key West or half the neighborhoods in Boston. Guess it is all relative. I don't have a wife or kids, so it is a better choice for me than clc08. I liked this better than Old Bonita.

Hiknapster - We all understand that you don't like the San Carlos Park area as a whole. But it is easy to find crime being committed anywhere over the span of several years, especially in lower and middle class areas. Your favorite area seems to be Estero but a woman was just abducted from a quiet semi gated community that my mother lives in. Then 4 kids where found in her house a week later doing coke. And this is a very active community where people watch out for each other. Point is that crime can and does happen everywhere and in the economy of the last 4 years people are forced to do things they might not otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM

13 posts, read 20,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
San Carlos is what it is. It was never upscale although Three Oaks was very nice; very family orientated. But the older areas were always spotty. Due to the economy it has become a lot rougher.

I use to live in SCP. My MIL lived there for 26 years. I've had an aunt, uncle and a few cousins that lived there, too. My SIL still lives there with her husband and two kids.

As I've said, the minute you start to say things like "It's better than half of the places in Boston" you aren't saying much about the place. And the "crime can happen anywhere" is usually another stock answer. But I clearly stated that I hope nice people begin to move in. It will really turn the place around.

When the economy crashed I thought crime would rise in Lee County. On the whole that did not happen. However, a couple of places like Lehigh and SCP took a hit. Prices in SCP are now at 1980-1990s levels. You pretty much get what you would expect at $50,000.

I think Estero is a nice area. There are some very rough areas of Bonita and it is not a favorite of mine. I lived there for awhile and I was glad to be back at The Park. Of course, that was in 2002.

Cape Coral isn't perfect, either but I like it for it's neighborly feeling. It's simply a preference.

This is a forum. We all have opinions.

For what it is worth, Dogwood was never "known" for being a problem area. I truly wish you the best of luck. My husband grew up in SCP and I'd like to see it go back to the blue-collar family-friendly place that it was. The recent crime spike is very disconcerting.

Do you know why the OP said she found a lot of crime on that street when looking at the reports but you didn't?
I think part of it is what you consider "a lot of crime". I don't think a suspicious person call is a crime, just neighbors watching out for the street. There were a fair amount of traffic stops due t being close to Sanibel blvd. Plus I have no kids to worry about which makes a huge difference. When I was looking at the property, several people checked me out to see what I was doing. There was a string of calls in the 19000 block at the end of the year. A couple of blocks down on the other side of Sanibel and San Carlos. Those people are gone and house is on the market. Hopefully a good buyer will take it

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,582,283 times
Hiknapster, you've got it backwards "Due to the economy it has become a lot rougher. " actually the economy has cleaned out a lot of the crime and scumbags of the area. Early on it was how you described it but that was a few years ago. In our community I know of three families that have let their homes go to foreclosure and moved elsewhere. They were the problem families with the kids who were on drugs and causing problems with their neighbors and the police. Our streets are a lot quieter now and less teenage speeders and trash thrown on the lawns.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
Hiknapster, you've got it backwards "Due to the economy it has become a lot rougher. " actually the economy has cleaned out a lot of the crime and scumbags of the area. Early on it was how you described it but that was a few years ago. In our community I know of three families that have let their homes go to foreclosure and moved elsewhere. They were the problem families with the kids who were on drugs and causing problems with their neighbors and the police. Our streets are a lot quieter now and less teenage speeders and trash thrown on the lawns.
Well, that has definitely been the case in most of Lee County, minus Lehigh. Crime is definitely down, which is what I said. So what is with all the crime in SCP? And the murders?

I started looking and there are far more murders in the past few years than even I realized. This is AMAZING! And this is just from a quick search. Wow.

Defense: Mental limitations taint alleged killer's confession » Naples Daily News

Lee deputies seeking 'person of interest' in San Carlos Park woman's murder » Naples Daily News

Arrest made in San Carlos Park murders - ABC-7.com WZVN News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Not guilty plea entered for San Carlos Park man accused of killing girlfriend » Naples Daily News

Two arrested for San Carlos Park murder - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Motive revealed in shooting death of San Carlos Park woman » Naples Daily News

Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 AM

46 posts, read 242,093 times
Hiknapster, I think the thing that irks me most about your posts is that you don't even live in Florida anymore if I am correct yet you continue to log on here and trash SCP.

If you look closely at the murders you listed, they are from 2007-2009. One was a robbery of a store on Alico Road, one was someone picked up in a bar, one was a domestic, one was off Daniels Road - not even in SCP - the victim just happened to live in SCP. So I don't think this fairly depicts the current climate of life in SCP.

As I said previously, SCP is a very large area and thus it encompasses a wide variety of housing styles so blanketing it with a 'bad area' statement is not being fair.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
Hiknapster, I think the thing that irks me most about your posts is that you don't even live in Florida anymore if I am correct yet you continue to log on here and trash SCP.

If you look closely at the murders you listed, they are from 2007-2009. One was a robbery of a store on Alico Road, one was someone picked up in a bar, one was a domestic, one was off Daniels Road - not even in SCP - the victim just happened to live in SCP. So I don't think this fairly depicts the current climate of life in SCP.

As I said previously, SCP is a very large area and thus it encompasses a wide variety of housing styles so blanketing it with a 'bad area' statement is not being fair.
I spend a lot of time on this forum carefully answering folks' questions. I lived in SCP for awhile, my husband grew up there, several family members lived there and my SIL still lives there. In fact, I was there last year.

The area is spotty, always has been. It looks like you've lived for two years in a much newer area. That area doesn't really have problems but I'm sorry, a lot of The Park is not like your area.

As I have said - over and over - I hope lots of nice people move in.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,308 times
I don't disagree that SCP has its bad areas, but not as bad as surrounding communities. When my family moved here, San Carlos Elementary was rated #1 in the nation. Since then the Park has grown and with growth you get some crime. the Park is way below Lehigh Acres and Cape Coral, which have had multiple murders and grow house bust in 2011-2013. Bonita Springs, which has been referred to as "Burrito Springs" by locals due to its mass Latino population, has also had multiple killings in the same time frame. I have lived here for 22 years and the area I live in is very peaceful and quiet and to me IS a part of Floridas Paradise

Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 20,763 times
rnr48

I am onboard with you. Ignoring the naysayers, who didn't even live in the area anymore, I purchased my house in SCP 2 years ago. My experience has been great. I have good neighbors and live on a good street. Mostly quiet at night. I have left things sitting in my driveway overnight by mistake to find them there when I wake up. Sure its not all manicured lawns and guards at the gates, but I prefer it that way anyway. I looked at those other areas you mentioned plus some less expensive parts of Naples and could not be more happy with my decision.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 PM

515 posts, read 1,582,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Florida Gulf Coast University is considered to be in Estero.

Gulf Coast Town Center is on the other side of I-75, just like FGCU. It is not considered part of San Carlos Park which is WEST of I-75.
Both FGCU and Gulf Coast Town Center are legally located in San Carlos Park, I don't care who considers what! one mile south of the entrance to FGCU is the "San Carlos Fire Department" not the Estero fire department. The local gazillion dollar community paid off the postmaster and got their own zip code because they were embarrassed to be called San Carlos park. Maybe they should start their own fire department also!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,308 times
Default Dogwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc08 View Post
Husband is doing the house-buying search with me left behind to pack up the house. We are looking in Bonita Springs as our 1st choice. He works in Naples.

Today he said he looked at a house in San Carlos Park, Fort Myers.

I must have an area that is safe. I will be out walking our dogs, etc. I looked at the police reports for that street, and to me, it doesn't look too good. The house is in the 18000 block of Dogwood.

Anyone familar with the area here to help? Thanks............................
I have lived here over 20 years, at the time my daughter was only 6 and went to 3 oaks elementary (at that time was rated #1 in the US). We lived on Coconut, 1 block east of Dogwood, and loved it. West of Miami St. to 3 oaks you want to stay clear of, otherwise, "the park" is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area