Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times

Advertisements

Citizen, How much do you think other workers pay for their insurance? Is there some reason teachers should get lower rates? Maybe I don't understand the question. You have choices:
1. Don't get insurance and pay for care out of pocket(you can go to the emergency room if you have to).
2. Get only catastrophic care insurance and pay for the small stuff out of pocket.
3. Shop for a better rate on your current coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM

114 posts, read 279,536 times
you see people on forums such as these and on tv shows all the time complaining about the 'lavish' benefits teachers get. the benefits (and the pay) for most florida teachers is anything but lavish. people with jobs that don't contribute near as much to society as teachers get better insurance for a heck of a lot cheaper for whatever reason many Americans do not value investing in education, but you would think with all the old people (who pay into the system but don't have kids attending) and all the tourism florida could easily afford an education system that would be the envy of most of america

Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
I'm a Delaware teacher, and I will definitely not be teaching when I move to Cape Coral in three years. I really have it good here (as far as teaching). I pay a lot less for my health insurance and I get paid a lot more. Thanks for the insight on this thread....

Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
don't worry, you can get on the public option once it comes out... right equal?
Better yet single payer .

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Citizen, How much do you think other workers pay for their insurance? Is there some reason teachers should get lower rates? Maybe I don't understand the question. You have choices:
1. Don't get insurance and pay for care out of pocket(you can go to the emergency room if you have to).
2. Get only catastrophic care insurance and pay for the small stuff out of pocket.
3. Shop for a better rate on your current coverage.
I wonder how much you paid for health insurance when you had your New York union job...

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM

34 posts, read 49,106 times
I'm not sure why anyone resents teachers having health insurance. I never hear anyone complaining about the health insurance other salaried workers get. What am I missing?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willikers View Post
I'm not sure why anyone resents teachers having health insurance. I never hear anyone complaining about the health insurance other salaried workers get. What am I missing?
good question...many many 'private' sector workers in reality work for PUBLIC companies...of which many are shareholders, including myself...i wonder how all the 'private' sector people would feel if shareholders were going to such lengths to reduce their salaries and take away health insurance...and when communities don't offer affordable health insurance to teachers it sends powerful messages..one being ********* and your family, but please educate ours like they were your own....

Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
good question...many many 'private' sector workers in reality work for PUBLIC companies...of which many are shareholders, including myself...i wonder how all the 'private' sector people would feel if shareholders were going to such lengths to reduce their salaries and take away health insurance...and when communities don't offer affordable health insurance to teachers it sends powerful messages..one being ********* and your family, but please educate ours like they were your own....
It happens every darn day.

The problem is fighting amongst ourselves over healthcare. That's exactly what big business wants. Big business tells us - through misinformation sent through several channels - that unions are breaking this country. Big business, that saw record profits while taking their business out of this country and/or reducing salaries and benefits, is reaping record-breaking profits while getting the average joes to eat their own.

I find it ironic that the people that had some of the best healthcare are the first to tell someone else to suck it up, though.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It happens every darn day.

The problem is fighting amongst ourselves over healthcare. That's exactly what big business wants. Big business tells us - through misinformation sent through several channels - that unions are breaking this country. Big business, that saw record profits while taking their business out of this country and/or reducing salaries and benefits, is reaping record-breaking profits while getting the average joes to eat their own.

I find it ironic that the people that had some of the best healthcare are the first to tell someone else to suck it up, though.
completely agree with you..the political machine is broke...corrupt even. why is it that over 70% of congressmen are lawyers by trade?? where are all the blue collar workers, the teachers, the nurses, the small business owners, the investors, really anyone but the lawyers? both the republicans and the democrats are complicit in allowing the political debate to be centered around us vs them...very frustrating!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 PM

I really don't think it has anything to do with their occupation. Joe Schmo can take money from the lobbyists just as easily as anyone else. Maybe more easily.

The percentage of politicians that go on to work for the lobbyists is huge, too.

And the average guy is given this list of platitudes that he happily spiels off, never understanding that he's hurting himself. There's a saying that the poor vote rich. Well, the middle class are doing the same, what little there is left of them. People really don't understand how the government is run or what is going on. Basic stuff most people don't know. And that's part of the plan, too. Don't get them too educated, dontcha know. Gotta keep 'em down on the farm and fighting amongst each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area