Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM

114 posts, read 278,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I really don't think it has anything to do with their occupation. Joe Schmo can take money from the lobbyists just as easily as anyone else. Maybe more easily.

The percentage of politicians that go on to work for the lobbyists is huge, too.

And the average guy is given this list of platitudes that he happily spiels off, never understanding that he's hurting himself. There's a saying that the poor vote rich. Well, the middle class are doing the same, what little there is left of them. People really don't understand how the government is run or what is going on. Basic stuff most people don't know. And that's part of the plan, too. Don't get them too educated, dontcha know. Gotta keep 'em down on the farm and fighting amongst each other.
its true that anyone can take money however i still would rather seen a broad representation across all types of peoples...

i think in the south especially the democrats would have a solid majority if not for the abortion issue. many who support education and health care can't bring themselves to vote for someone who is pro-choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
its true that anyone can take money however i still would rather seen a broad representation across all types of peoples...

i think in the south especially the democrats would have a solid majority if not for the abortion issue. many who support education and health care can't bring themselves to vote for someone who is pro-choice
I looked up some of your old posts. At one point you were telling a foreigner on the Fort Myers forum that there were very reasonable self-insurance plans. Now you are complaining?

Are you a teacher?

What do you teach?

I also hate to break it to you but there are plenty of people in The South that do NOT support education or healthcare. In fact I do not know anyone on the right that does. It has nothing to do with abortion.

There's plenty in The South that get a nice government check and vote Republican. And don't really understand what all the fuss about education is about. They have laws here to make sure kids are sent to school. But they wouldn't vote Democrat if you put a gun to their head. Half of them don't even know why. The other half think the Democrats are coming for their check. We had a guy here that walked into a liberal church and started shooting. He said the Democrats took his food stamps away. He had all kinds of books written by the far right in his apartment. And a note stating his views very clearly.

Last edited by hiknapster; 04-10-2011 at 12:40 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,857,180 times
There is alot of resentment building up against people in the public sector by those of us in the private sector.Teachers,police,government workers (town,state and federal) and those who are getting entitlements of some kind.
The reason is very simple.....we have watched for years as liberal politicians have voted for bigger and bigger bennies for these groups.....more pay,bigger health benefits,sick days,vacations and retirement plans.....as we have all watched our lifestyle dwindle durring tough economic times.
Unions give millions to democratic candidates who gleefully pay them back with more and bigger perks....all paid for bu us working slobs and small business people..
I'm making what I was 10 years ago....and feel grateful for that.Every nickle that we have we worked hard for and never asked the taxpayers to give us any of the lavish perks that the puiblic sector gets.
Recently,in our small town,there was a town meeting to vote for the new budget.It was stacked with family and friends of every teacher,cop and town employee in the district.A motion to give them all a raise and added benefits was voted down by a narrow margin.As the night went on,many townspeople had to leave to get some sleep for work the next day and they brought the bill back up for reconsideration around midnight......it was passed..........This was standard operation proceedure for years but I believe,that due to public resentment,the tide is turning.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,293,408 times
Quote:
you see people on forums such as these and on tv shows all the time complaining about the 'lavish' benefits teachers get. the benefits (and the pay) for most florida teachers is anything but lavish. people with jobs that don't contribute near as much to society as teachers get better insurance for a heck of a lot cheaper for whatever reason many Americans do not value investing in education, but you would think with all the old people (who pay into the system but don't have kids attending) and all the tourism florida could easily afford an education system that would be the envy of most of america
When they say that teachers are over paid that is a generality. They are not talking about Florida's teachers. You should see what teachers get in NY and the suburbs. About ...$100,000/yr, free medical, $50,000/yr pension, state tax free. They also get a 401k with a guaranteed 8% return. Here in Florida you deserve a raise, but in many places they need a cut.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I looked up some of your old posts. At one point you were telling a foreigner on the Fort Myers forum that there were very reasonable self-insurance plans. Now you are complaining?

Are you a teacher?

What do you teach?

I also hate to break it to you but there are plenty of people in The South that do NOT support education or healthcare. In fact I do not know anyone on the right that does. It has nothing to do with abortion.

There's plenty in The South that get a nice government check and vote Republican. And don't really understand what all the fuss about education is about. They have laws here to make sure kids are sent to school. But they wouldn't vote Democrat if you put a gun to their head. Half of them don't even know why. The other half think the Democrats are coming for their check. We had a guy here that walked into a liberal church and started shooting. He said the Democrats took his food stamps away. He had all kinds of books written by the far right in his apartment. And a note stating his views very clearly.
there are some affordable self insurance plans, not everyone qualifies for them. I am a teacher, not in Lee County. I currently teach in Texas but will likely be moving to Collier county to teach for the 11-12 school year. i have a job there for next year, just working on selling the house here. My point was that Lee county has extremely high insurance rates for teachers, that is counter to much of what i have read on various media outlets and user comments in swfl. I was asking if the people of Lee county were ok with not providing good benefits to its teachers.

As far as the abortion issue, you couldn't be more wrong. That is the issue that turned the tide for the democrats, especially in the south. It may have happened a long time ago but it is still the polarizing issue for many. I have heard countless times growing up people say "i just couldn't ever vote for someone who was pro-abortion". I talk to people all the time who vote republican and consider themselves conservative yet they support education and (to a lesser extent) healthcare. Just walk into most faculties in Texas, you'll find a lot who are like that. I am not certain what the climate is like in Florida other that what I have heard and written, but I know from actually talking to many folks that many think that way.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,335,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
don't worry, you can get on the public option once it comes out... right equal?
Yeah,
But with a little luck the Supreme-court will hammer that so called healthcare law in to smithereens. Still can believe they touted that Bovine Fecal Matter as healthcare improvement.
2700 pages of mess that everyone is trying to get out off.
That is the best our government could come up with.
I don't know about some other folks but I think we got major problems in DC it was a big mistake to put the progressives in charge.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:

As far as the abortion issue, you couldn't be more wrong.
I live in The Bible Belt. Abortion may have been the catalyst that was used for school vouchers long after Roe v. Wade, but greed and a lack of education and ignorance is king now.

The conversation is useless, though.

You were doling out Florida health insurance advice like a pro, too, not that long ago, never actually living in the state. Now you are running around saying the sky is falling.

I hope Collier County's standards are high.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM

They do have high standards, they are the top paying school district in Florida (at least for my years of experience + master's degree) and you shouldn't assume that teaching is my only way of making money. I am an accomplished investor and I am moving to swfl because of family and I want to live in a beautiful area. All the data on insurance is available online to me being from Texas about to move to Florida and you being in Tennessee having lived in Florida in the past. It wouldn't have mattered if I was a fisherman from Alaska, it doesn't preclude me from having an opinion (or changing that opinion if the facts that i know change or become apparent). After all you are here commenting on Teacher insurance and you are not a teacher and your opinion is still valid. Your sarcasm is noted, I am guessing you don't handle people not agreeing with you very well?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,491,367 times
Folks, this thread is getting off topic, and in some cases, disrespectful.

Be respectful, discuss the topic, NOT other posters, stay on topic, or this thread will be closed......

Frank

Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
Quote:
Health Insurance (does not include dental etc)
If you work as a public teacher in Lee county you would pay 27,792 per year for the high family plan and 13,668 per year for the low plan. So much for teachers having lavish benefits eh? what a joke that school districts hand out chips and medicaid info to teacher hires with master's degrees! the message florida sends to teachers: Come to our cities, educate and care for our children, even though you won't be able to take care of your children. sickening and it was just made worse. Are you people aware that teachers have to pay that much for insurance? and do you have a problem with that?

LINK:
Welcome to The School District of Lee County
No, I don't. I don't care what you pay for health insurance. It makes no difference to me whatsoever. So big deal you're a teacher.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area