Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 PM

19 posts, read 61,753 times

Advertisements

Some have said SW Cape Coral is best. Does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
I have never seen a monitor lizard and thankful for that. Cape is safe and hardly ever go to Ft Myers as every thing is in the Cape now.

Many area's in Ft Myers are nice so it really depends on what you want.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We've been visiting CC for the last three months, and like it enough that we would consider moving here. We've repeatedly had to go to FM for two reasons: Costco and Total Wine. Otherwise, we could easily stay in CC.

We do have a few things that dissappoint us. The limited number of ethic restaurants (except for Cuban and Italian, which are well represented.). The beaches are very nice, but the traffic is a nightmare, the bridge tolls are annoying (and expensive at $6 to go to Sanibel), and parking gets pricey, too. We are also concerned that grocery prices (particularly produce and meat) are more expensive than what we are used to in Phoenix.

No trader joes, either.

But the idea of living on the canal, boat parked in the backyard, living with such friendly people is VERY addicting.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debijr View Post
Some have said SW Cape Coral is best. Does it matter?

SW is not the best, SE is not the best, NW is not the best ..... they are all very different and what is important is what is best for you. I am from New England and I have lived in pretty rural areas for the last 15 yrs. The NW because it is not very built up gives a more rural feel. I was able to buy other property surrounding my house to really give a good buffer. I am used to being 30 minutes from home depot's and Walmarts and 15 minutes to a grocery store. So the NW is only 5 miles to the grocery store and maybe 10 minutes to home depot 15 minutes to target. Parts of the NW (west of burnt store rd) has gulf access. This access is completely different from the SW and SE. It goes out through Matlacha Pass and up to Charlotte Harbour. The SE and SW are more geared to boating and the NW is geared more towards fishing. If you were in the SE all these things would be within a mile.

the SE is a lot more built up, houses tend to be smaller and older, is the best commuter location has the best gulf access, is closest to the beaches, and is usually where all of the cities activities are.

The SW is a mix between the two, personally I think the SW has the better schools, has the highest median home price, has some good gulf access but also some very far access and also has to deal with lots of bridges and a loch.

Your lifestyle and needs will dictate what area is best for you.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM

19 posts, read 61,753 times
Thanks nhkev. Good information. I am from Montana so perhaps the NW would more be for me. At least I am learning what to look for where when I get down there.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
SW is not the best, SE is not the best, NW is not the best ..... they are all very different and what is important is what is best for you. I am from New England and I have lived in pretty rural areas for the last 15 yrs. The NW because it is not very built up gives a more rural feel. I was able to buy other property surrounding my house to really give a good buffer. I am used to being 30 minutes from home depot's and Walmarts and 15 minutes to a grocery store. So the NW is only 5 miles to the grocery store and maybe 10 minutes to home depot 15 minutes to target. Parts of the NW (west of burnt store rd) has gulf access. This access is completely different from the SW and SE. It goes out through Matlacha Pass and up to Charlotte Harbour. The SE and SW are more geared to boating and the NW is geared more towards fishing. If you were in the SE all these things would be within a mile.

the SE is a lot more built up, houses tend to be smaller and older, is the best commuter location has the best gulf access, is closest to the beaches, and is usually where all of the cities activities are.

The SW is a mix between the two, personally I think the SW has the better schools, has the highest median home price, has some good gulf access but also some very far access and also has to deal with lots of bridges and a loch.

Your lifestyle and needs will dictate what area is best for you.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've been visiting CC for the last three months, and like it enough that we would consider moving here. We've repeatedly had to go to FM for two reasons: Costco and Total Wine. Otherwise, we could easily stay in CC.

We do have a few things that dissappoint us. The limited number of ethic restaurants (except for Cuban and Italian, which are well represented.). The beaches are very nice, but the traffic is a nightmare, the bridge tolls are annoying (and expensive at $6 to go to Sanibel), and parking gets pricey, too. We are also concerned that grocery prices (particularly produce and meat) are more expensive than what we are used to in Phoenix.

No trader joes, either.

But the idea of living on the canal, boat parked in the backyard, living with such friendly people is VERY addicting.
I am to lazy to go to Ft. Myers for Costco so I joined BJ's.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debijr View Post
We are looking to move to Florida. Fort Myers and Cape Coral looked like a nice area to us but now the comments are making us wonder. We have jobs so that is not a problem.

Are the lizards in the canal really a big problem? Can we kayak in the canals? Chinese drywall? Crime? Should we just skip Cape Coral and look in Fort Myers?

My head is spinning now wondering what to do! Or should we just look elsewhere in Florida?

P.S. My BF works overseas and I am home alone for 2 months at a time so I would like a safe area!
You can check here for all kinds of info on non-native kritters.
Nonnative Reptiles

Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,641,583 times
Good stuff nhkev! The NW is more spread out, until of course they start building again.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 AM

196 posts, read 504,308 times
Bravo!! Bravo all Positive Posters!! Bravo!! So Good to Hear Good Things! Pray for me too,,that I soon will become one of your neighbors,,,Homes going up hopefully for the last time,, I need some FL Sun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area