Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times

Advertisements

I hate state crime lists. Because of some cities with huge crime it drags the entire state down with it.

For instance, Cape Coral has the second lowest crime in Florida. But because of cities like Orlando, Florida is considered a big crime state and scares the bejesus our of people. Tennessee is the same way. Huge crime in Memphis.

And really when you lop all the stats together for a state it can set all kind of things off kilter. Knox County has great schools, as does Oak Ridge, Maryville, etc. But if you add in Memphis and tiny towns with underfunded school departments, well, TN comes out as being low on the list for education. The same thing happens in Florida. Massachusetts is usually pretty high on the educational lists but I know several towns where the schools are terrible.

It all comes down to what is going on locally, just like real estate values ad sales.

I avoid lists. People love reading them, though. Ranking things make people feel like they have an understanding of the statistics. The problem is they are very misleading.

I remember when I was moving out of Lee County it had just made a list of "Top Areas for Job Growth" or something like that. The truth was the majority of jobs were in the service, hospitality or construction sectors. The first two paid very badly and we all know that the latter was doomed and ground to a stop a couple years later. It was from that "Best Places" website, a direct competitor of City-Data and usually very outdated and irrelevant. Forbes is another one with bogus lists. Some of their lists are so absurd that there has been speculation that someone is getting paid off.

They are all just bunk. Sorry.

But if you want to talk yourself into or out of a move you can dig deep enough until you find the answers you want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,057 times
Default Statistics

Hik, you are right about if you want to talk yourself out of a move, you can dig deep enough until you find the answers you want to hear. I tend to take all this in and know that statistics are very often skewed by factors especially in Florida like tourism, because along with its allure, comes the opportunity for criminal acts. More seniors, also creates the same opportunities for criminals that don't exist in other states. For me, Florida is the place to live, retire, flourish, and I'm not worried about these kind of statistics in general, it just gives us something to talk about.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Hik, you are right about if you want to talk yourself out of a move, you can dig deep enough until you find the answers you want to hear. I tend to take all this in and know that statistics are very often skewed by factors especially in Florida like tourism, because along with its allure, comes the opportunity for criminal acts. More seniors, also creates the same opportunities for criminals that don't exist in other states. For me, Florida is the place to live, retire, flourish, and I'm not worried about these kind of statistics in general, it just gives us something to talk about.
That's a biggie. It's one of those things that you can't quite put your finger on. I mean, there isn't a list of "Where do all of the con-artists hangout?" And like any other list, you can manipulate it to make it what you want. But I have never seen so many scammers in my life when I lived down there. And consequently, there is often not much trust. To write a check, sometimes, they wanted a blood sample from your first-born, it seems. When I left I was glad to get back to a more trusting environment.

Don't get me wrong. Among all of these charming Southern accents in TN can be some champion liars, too. But nothing the likes of what I saw in Florida, especially in the southwest area where there are so many seniors. I'm hoping the flim-flammers left along with the greedy money-grubbers of the last decade. It's entirely possible.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's a biggie. It's one of those things that you can't quite put your finger on. I mean, there isn't a list of "Where do all of the con-artists hangout?" And like any other list, you can manipulate it to make it what you want. But I have never seen so many scammers in my life when I lived down there. And consequently, there is often not much trust. To write a check, sometimes, they wanted a blood sample from your first-born, it seems. When I left I was glad to get back to a more trusting environment.

Don't get me wrong. Among all of these charming Southern accents in TN can be some champion liars, too. But nothing the likes of what I saw in Florida, especially in the southwest area where there are so many seniors. I'm hoping the flim-flammers left along with the greedy money-grubbers of the last decade. It's entirely possible.
Hik, the statement above that I bolded from you hit home for me as I live in the Grand Rapids,MI area of the northern bible belt and where you would think people would be more trusting. That being said, you would think that when you cash a check from your employer at his own bank, that you all you would need is your ID? Wrong, you get fingerprinted, then ID, then maybe they will cash the check. Ridiculous, since when do you need this level of security to cash a payroll check at the bank of your employer? And since when did this practice of fingerprinting become exceptable business practice?

Sorry, got off on a tangent, this just struck a nerve with me!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,080,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Hik, the statement above that I bolded from you hit home for me as I live in the Grand Rapids,MI area of the northern bible belt and where you would think people would be more trusting. That being said, you would think that when you cash a check from your employer at his own bank, that you all you would need is your ID? Wrong, you get fingerprinted, then ID, then maybe they will cash the check. Ridiculous, since when do you need this level of security to cash a payroll check at the bank of your employer? And since when did this practice of fingerprinting become exceptable business practice?

Sorry, got off on a tangent, this just struck a nerve with me!
I don't find that. I have had no problems with anyone. I use a credit /debit card for almost everything, except when I write a check to pay a bill now and then.

Don't get too hung up with all the stuff about crime. Yeah, there is some, but you live in Michigan, ever hear of Detroit?, I lived in MD for over 30 years (and still plan to have a place there). Even though I hear about crime - I've really never seen it, nor has any of my friends ever been a victim of any kind of serious crime.

Besides, I think half the people in SWFL are from Michigan, so don't insult them. Of course, I'm originally from WNY, so I'm better. LOL

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM

225 posts, read 493,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Of course, I'm originally from WNY, so I'm better. LOL
WNY Western New York?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
I don't find that. I have had no problems with anyone. I use a credit /debit card for almost everything, except when I write a check to pay a bill now and then.

Don't get too hung up with all the stuff about crime. Yeah, there is some, but you live in Michigan, ever hear of Detroit?, I lived in MD for over 30 years (and still plan to have a place there). Even though I hear about crime - I've really never seen it, nor has any of my friends ever been a victim of any kind of serious crime.

Besides, I think half the people in SWFL are from Michigan, so don't insult them. Of course, I'm originally from WNY, so I'm better. LOL

BH, I had to chime in on the comment to let you know of course I've heard and am very familiar with crime in good ol' Detroit! Aside from that, as far as half the people in SWFL could be from MI that might be true, a few years ago we stayed at Fort Desoto RV Park, most people know where that is, and long story short, got up in the morning before check out when most peoples cars were parked near there rig, took a walk to the showers, and couldn't help notice all the MI plates, I would guess that over 50-60% percent were from MI! Of course this was spring break week for our neck of the woods. Says a lot about who visits SWFL from the midwest, there were other states represented as well in numbers, just not as many and not as high of a percentage, IMO.

Last edited by Foxrivman1; 04-23-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area