Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 AM

159 posts, read 549,375 times

Advertisements

BTW if I did sell it would be to move up and not out of Cape Coral, I happen to like where I am.

Yes I am retired Steamfitter from local 638 in NY. Going back a number of years I think Florida has the right to work law which discriminates against organized labor, so maybe that's why there is no loyalty in the construction trades here.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Okay, NYBill, you get positive points for being very honest. Thank you!

That's what I like about New Yorkers. They are honest.

Okay. Let's say that you were not retired. You were no longer injured. Wouldn't that be nice, right?

But let's also say that you have NEVER owned your own home.

Would you stay in Cape Coral to earn a living? To buy a house?

See what I am getting at?

Since you are so very honest, I believe you when it comes to those workers. I saw a lot of shiftless workers in Lee County, too. There are also a lot of druggies.

I think that is another huge problem with the area. The hard workers leave. They can get the respect and pay elsewhere. And they can afford to buy a house!

I saw this all the time. Retirees move into the area, a LOT of them had union jobs. Lee County is full of mid-westerners that retired from the auto plants. They get down there and are appalled at the service. They have no idea what those people make. No idea.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 AM

If you really look close at what is going on in the trades down here there are more good skilled tradesman moving to the area. Look at my electrician freind from Conn. He worked his butt off to get where he is today, it didn't happen by accident which is my point.

I was raised the same way, I also owned my own tree removal & pruning bussines when I was about 25 and was told I would never make it. Within a year I had 3 trucks on the road, 5 full time employees, all sorts of eguipment to own operate and maintain and Lived on Long Island which is one of the most expensive places to live in NY to boot.

Plus I had a county job as a Paramedic with Nassau County Police Dept.during that time. (1970's) MY starting slary then was $9000 a year so you don't have to tell me about sacrifice working 2 full time jobs plus raising a family on top.

Bottom line if you like a place and want to live there you do what ever it takes to become successful.

In todays society we take it for granted that we are owed something, like a 40 hour work week at top pay, everyone wants 75K a year or better without even proving there worth. I look back at my grandparents who survived the depression as well as my Dad and people then did what they have to do just to survive and make ends meet. Tough lesson learning that way but in reality it made them stronger people who appreciate hard work and dedication which IMHO is lacking today.

The Cape might be a little tough for first time buyers now but we all started somewhere and with the school system we have in place here in which they start directing children towards there goals and there educational path I couldn't think of a better place to start, compared to some other places in Fl. Good education builds a stronger foundation to build on and create a brighter future for all.

I even told my friends back in NY how the schools system is designed here and they where amazed.

Oh well, thats about it for me my fingers are tired

Time to do that retirment thing a go fish... LOL

Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBill View Post
If you really look close at what is going on in the trades down here there are more good skilled tradesman moving to the area. Look at my electrician freind from Conn. He worked his butt off to get where he is today, it didn't happen by accident which is my point.

I was raised the same way, I also owned my own tree removal & pruning bussines when I was about 25 and was told I would never make it. Within a year I had 3 trucks on the road, 5 full time employees, all sorts of eguipment to own operate and maintain and Lived on Long Island which is one of the most expensive places to live in NY to boot.

Plus I had a county job as a Paramedic with Nassau County Police Dept.during that time. (1970's) MY starting slary then was $9000 a year so you don't have to tell me about sacrifice working 2 full time jobs plus raising a family on top.

Bottom line if you like a place and want to live there you do what ever it takes to become successful.

In todays society we take it for granted that we are owed something, like a 40 hour work week at top pay, everyone wants 75K a year or better without even proving there worth. I look back at my grandparents who survived the depression as well as my Dad and people then did what they have to do just to survive and make ends meet. Tough lesson learning that way but in reality it made them stronger people who appreciate hard work and dedication which IMHO is lacking today.

The Cape might be a little tough for first time buyers now but we all started somewhere and with the school system we have in place here in which they start directing children towards there goals and there educational path I couldn't think of a better place to start, compared to some other places in Fl. Good education builds a stronger foundation to build on and create a brighter future for all.

I even told my friends back in NY how the schools system is designed here and they where amazed.

Oh well, thats about it for me my fingers are tired

Time to do that retirment thing a go fish... LOL
Bill you have some good points, but skilled tradesman are running out of work now that the market is rapidly declining in construction . Good education builds a stronger foundation but you have to have jobs. Long Island has the city for Jobs. Cape Coral has ? Mercantile has to have paychecks for people to buy.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM
V20

67 posts, read 271,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Look Sunny, if you contact NYBill, he will PERSONALLY show you his place. Has still not told us where he plans to move to.

V20, well, he has had MANY properties in the area. He told me that he has bought and sold many and made a great profit. I think this is wonderful. Capitalism at its best! My hats off to V20!

But what properties you two are left with, well, that is capitalism at its best, too.

Live with it.
Hiknapster, again you become suspicious and negative. Why are you suspicous about me? I share only my optimism and my knowledge. Have I tried to sell something?

No, in fact I have bought properties. This is not the market in which to sell, but instead the market in which to buy. "Buy low, Sell high"

I bought a Yacht Club house in Cape Coral in the fall. I bought another gulf access lot in Cape Coral one month ago. I am under contract to buy another Marco Island house and I want to buy an additional gulf access lot in Cape Coral.

I put my money where my mouth (or keyboard) is. Hiknapster, you try to paint me as a charlatan (spelling?) trying to trick others so I can sell my properties. But it is just the opposite. I am surprised that you cannot feel the energy and conviction in what I write. As much as we differ on opinions, I sense that Firemed knows that I speak from the heart.

I believe what I say. I believe in the product.

My optimism may prove to be my undoing. Or it may put me ahead of the curve.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 04-23-2007 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
V20

67 posts, read 271,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post

sunny
But what if one is not interested in selling these days. What if one wanted to buy. Would it be a good time?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times
as long as they are buying their second or third house-sure.

If they still need to work a regular job/have a family----NO.

S.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
as long as they are buying their second or third house-sure.

If they still need to work a regular job/have a family----NO.

S.
I really have to wonder how long your a moderator. I have refused to respond to your thoughts prior to this but if this is the kind on person who is going to moderator forum be fair. You can voice your opinon but I haved based my opinion in what I have seen in the last 2 years living here. God only knows what I paid for when I was an absentee owner that I never recieved services for.

I always made a habit of coming down with out any notice, to my landscaper, property manager, pool service, bug controll,etc. Just POP in and let the chips fall where they may. I had a few problems ecpecially with the pool service who happpens to drive yellow trucks all over Cape Coral. Needless to say he was fired within 10 minutes of walking though the door and even threatened him to Have CH 7 news over. Boy you can't spell refund fast enough.

Seems like evrey decent site, any site.. once they appoint moderators they think there opinion is gospel and it seems if you disagree they get there own little following to TATOO someone. This is a discussion board and all views are evealuated by other stalkers. Please keep things in a proper percpective and don't let the title go to your head.

Keep the post clean and not abusive, and have an open mind. The amount of post you have does not impress me one bit but the quailty of your post has my attention.

If you have something to contribute that is worthy of reading I am all ears and if you can take and give critisisum as well as anyone else. If that's the case then don't bother posting just watch the site and keep it clean.

Last edited by NYBill; 04-23-2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: little claification

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
Good job Mr Trump !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area