Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 PM

176 posts, read 439,423 times

Advertisements

I'm not in the Cape at the moment, just catching info from the Weather Channel. What's the local buzz on Hurricane Irene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Latest track has it going up the east coast heading for the Grand Strand.

I have a keen interest because family from both sides of Florida are watching with one foot in their vehicles with plans to head to my hacienda.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 PM

964 posts, read 2,065,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Latest track has it going up the east coast heading for the Grand Strand.

I have a keen interest because family from both sides of Florida are watching with one foot in their vehicles with plans to head to my hacienda.

No cause for shutters in CC, but it does look like Charleston and points north will be in trouble. Of course, we booked Hilton Head for a vacation en route back down in October.

Oh, and those poor Haitians - can't they ever catch a break?!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
No cause for shutters in CC, but it does look like Charleston and points north will be in trouble. Of course, we booked Hilton Head for a vacation en route back down in October.

Oh, and those poor Haitians - can't they ever catch a break?!
Ain't that the truth.

Of course, you know what Pat Robertson says, what with their making deals with the devil and all.

I wouldn't sweat your vacation. You'd be surprised how fast a tourist area can get up to speed, and that's if anything happens. One thing I got very good at was tracking hurricanes when I lived in Florida. I loved it. I even learned how to read the stats that come back from flights into the eye.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:06 AM

198 posts, read 482,644 times
This site is very good for hurricane and general local weather info
2011 Hurricane Season Discussion >> Capeweather - Cape Coral Southwest Florida Weather

Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 AM

Best way to track them from when they come off the coast of Africa. Katrina looked impressive when she popped off the coast of west Africa, but she completed disappeared in the Caribbean and reappeared and was renamed. A link on that page will also get you messages from people that live throughout the area with detailed reports.

Hurricane Sector - Satellite Imagery

And this is the definitive source. They use to have a great tracking product that was incredibly accurate at prediction. Anything you ever wanted to know about hurricanes is here. Click "Satellite" and you'll get all kinds of images and loops.

National Hurricane Center

Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 PM

176 posts, read 439,423 times
If this isn't a strange change of events. I'm here in my home in NJ under a Hurricane Warning, meanwhile my home in CC is hurricane free.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cviz View Post
If this isn't a strange change of events. I'm here in my home in NJ under a Hurricane Warning, meanwhile my home in CC is hurricane free.
I was just saying that to my sister who lives in MA on the South Shore. Today the sky was very clear in Port Charlotte, although we did get a lot of rain earlier in the week, which is normal for this time of year.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,094,832 times
my town in Ma is in direct path of Irene. In June we had a tornado that was within 1/2 mile of my house that literally devasted my town and the 5 around it. It looked like an atomic bomb was dropped on the area. So we get blizzards, now tornados and hurricanes... NO FAIR

Old 08-27-2011, 04:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
my town in Ma is in direct path of Irene. In June we had a tornado that was within 1/2 mile of my house that literally devasted my town and the 5 around it. It looked like an atomic bomb was dropped on the area. So we get blizzards, now tornados and hurricanes... NO FAIR
You must live in the Greater Springfield area. I'm not too familiar with it, but I've been on the MA turnpike many times! Hope the storm weakens by the time it hits New England.

I know what you mean about blizzards, but I sure would like to feel some cool snow on my face right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area