Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 5,794 times

Advertisements

In most parts of the country, people STAY where they grew up. Where I am from, my friends I went to school with -one's the mayor now, another is police chief, another is fire chief...My 40th class reunion was last month-I was notified like 2 days before such as they had hard time finding me -with such little notice (and no funds to grab a flight and go back to snow belt country) no way did I go. Sometimes people move because job relocation, as aforementioned other reasonings in my last post.

Florida used to be inexpensive place to live. Prior to hurricanes my homeowner's insurance was $374/year, now $2000+ and climbing. So many companies have pulled out of Florida. With such, car insurance is also I think high.
If anyone is THINKING about moving here, let me FOREWARN you-Homeowner's insurance is called HURRICANE insurance, such is $2400 on my humble abode-if I was near a canal or river or body of water, I'd have to have FLOOD insurance.

PLUS if you find a great deal on a condo, be forewarned, condo HOA fees are astronomical down here-such offsets cheap price of condo. In less than 10 years, my friend's condo fees have gone from $100/month to 4 $400+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,839 times
All great points. If one is still working, though, moving to FL gets one a very good break on state income tax as FL does not collect this. Coming from PA, that fact was instrumental in our decision to buy. The savings alone covered my mortgage payments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftmyersrecycler View Post
In most parts of the country, people STAY where they grew up. Where I am from, my friends I went to school with -one's the mayor now, another is police chief, another is fire chief...My 40th class reunion was last month-I was notified like 2 days before such as they had hard time finding me -with such little notice (and no funds to grab a flight and go back to snow belt country) no way did I go. Sometimes people move because job relocation, as aforementioned other reasonings in my last post.

Florida used to be inexpensive place to live. Prior to hurricanes my homeowner's insurance was $374/year, now $2000+ and climbing. So many companies have pulled out of Florida. With such, car insurance is also I think high.
If anyone is THINKING about moving here, let me FOREWARN you-Homeowner's insurance is called HURRICANE insurance, such is $2400 on my humble abode-if I was near a canal or river or body of water, I'd have to have FLOOD insurance.

PLUS if you find a great deal on a condo, be forewarned, condo HOA fees are astronomical down here-such offsets cheap price of condo. In less than 10 years, my friend's condo fees have gone from $100/month to 4 $400+

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
You ARE kidding me? D First off, if I cannot find a job, where the heck would I come up with money for a move? Secondly, I moved to Florida to semi-retire. My home is here. Why the heck would I move to another state?
I was sticking up for you. The man was insinuating you hadn't done everything you could to find a job.

The truth is we left with barely any money in our pockets to make a better life for ourselves, for better schools and opportunities. My husband lived in Lee County for 25 years. I have no idea how old you are. I'm not a mind reader.

But you are correct. Next time I'll shut my virtual mouth and you can deal with posts like this on your own.

Quote:
Maybe try stepping it up and physically walking door to door in the commercial and retail areas, dress and groom like a mormon, project a cheerful disposition, volunteer where you would like to work.

Failing that, pull the ripcord, ditch the house, and move somewhere with unemployment below 5%...they are out there in the central spine of America, or immigrate to Alberta and learn to ski, skidoo and play curling.
Notice that HE mentioned moving first, even to Canada, but I took the beating.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
I have been here for 20 years. YOU suggest I pack up and move-If I am not working, where is that money supposed to come from? Every single dime I make goes to bills, expenses, nothing left over for finer things in life like moving?You ARE kidding me?I move here for many reasons.

I have a home, which in no way, shape or form could I sell and get back all I have paid since 1996 NOR what I still owe on it-surely I was not taught to walk away, which is what they are saying I should do simply to find a job?

20 years in Florida-I came here as the heat is good for my aches, pains, osteoarthritis, etc-

PS Going anywhere else, to find work, BESIDES stupid thoughtless post for me to move back to cold snowy country-no work up there as companies are pulling out, hello?
I was responding to Twobeach and not you.

Unbelievable.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
With all the foreclosures , the neighborhoods will wind up like musical chairs.. everyone moving because they are being foreclosed and new tenants coming in to those foreclosed homes. It is sad and also unknown what the city of Cape Coral will have as many leaving and many coming. I know the northerners are coming down with their dreams and hopefully great attitudes to make it paradise. That is the saving grace. The idea of paradise and living their dream and make it reality will make it a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area