Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM

120 posts, read 170,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
No, people are not starving down here but not many college educated are flocking to Lee County, either. This is not Boston, Chicago or Atlanta when it comes to professional growth. Never has nor will it ever be.
Of course there are jobs to be found that are decent paying, but they are not in any large number.
What are the job descriptions that these companies are hiring for? All major companies need to fill low-paying slots.

It is hard to justify what is going on in Cape Coral. It is a mess & that is a shame for those who live there & may enjoy it there.
Well, I agree that this isn't Chicago, Atlanta, or Boston. I do disagree with your claim that it never will be. I think every area has potential to be a big economic player. Being from Detroit, I remember when my parents told me stories of how Detroit used to be "the place to be." Now look at what a mess it is. The economy is constantly changing. Maybe 50 years from now there will be a great industry down here (if we could get some new leaders).

Here are the positions available in the comapnies I mentioned:
Source Interlink
-National Promotions Director
-Systems Developer
-Administrative Assistant
-Staff Accountant
-Assistant Promotions Manager
-Senior Tax Accountant
-A/P Analyst Fulfillment
-Data Analyst

GE Corporate
-Tax System PM
-Senior Exams Analyst

Chico's (there were a lot of positions available so I'm not listing them all)
-POS Systems Analyst
-Outlets Planner/Allocator
-HR Manager
-Real Estate Attorney
-Store Design Manager
-Analyst-Merchandise Operations
-Store Finance Analyst
-Lead Developer-Supply Chain Systems
-Senior Accountant-Cash Control
-eCommerce Weg Designer
-Systems Analyst
....and more

Sony
-Technical Trainer
-Senior QA Analyst

TECO Energy
-Engineering Project Manager

There were a lot more companies hiring but I didn't feel like looking through them all. Medical related jobs definatley make up the majority though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,280 times
Quote:
No, people are not starving down here but most college educated are not flocking to Lee County, either. This is not Boston, Chicago or Atlanta when it comes to professional growth. Never has nor will it ever be.

Of course there are jobs to be found that are decent paying, but they are not in any large number.
What are the job descriptions that these companies are hiring for? All major companies need to fill low-paying slots.

It is hard to justify what is going on in Cape Coral & many parts of Fort Myers. It is a mess & that is a shame for those who live there & may enjoy it.

Fort Myers & Cape Coral will survive on the snow birds who love to boat & golf. There are also the tourists who want to stay on Sanibel & will pay for the hotel rooms & going out to eat. Other than that, they have to start figuring out a way to increase revuenue & encourage professional growth.

There are more "Retail Space/Commercial Space for Rent/Lease/Sale" signs every day there & no movement in to any of them.
where are all the college educated people going? because most of the college
kids here on long island are leaving also.It sucks working at the deli counter in a supermarket with a masters.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
It isn't only the flippers that are in foreclosure. My mother-in-law is, as is my aunt and uncle. They both owned their homes for about 25 years.

Lee County could survive waiting on snowbirds, back when housing was affordable, but that all changed. There were always low wage jobs that only lasted during season, typically five months, but where, exactly, do those people live now?

And the cops, firefighters and teachers; where do they live?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
where are all the college educated people going? because most of the college
kids here on long island are leaving also.It sucks working at the deli counter in a supermarket with a masters.
Good question.

Frankly, I think the entire country's economy is in the toilet.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
I think that in some of the larger metro areas that the one positive thing is the growth that has carried over into suburbs. This is not something Fort Myers would see b/c the "outgrowth"---Cape Coral & Lehigh Acres---not something I'd put money into. Estero & BOnita Springs could maybe help. Forget Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte--nothing between Fort Myers & those 2 cities nor are those two places designed for professional growth.

I think to find a good paying job in today's society one needs to really network & look outside the box. There are jobs out there in metro areas; it is just competitive & requires time & patience. Too many communication & political science majors out there needing work.

I have my Masters in Education & have never had a problem finding employment in Ohio, Texas or California [three states I have lived in the past 10 years]. I was thinking about going back to the classroom this coming year when we initally moved here, but was floored by the LACK of hiring in schools--then I found out why---

But the US economy is getting hit & having a job is something to be thankful for no matter where one lives!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM

326 posts, read 470,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Besides, how can the Federal Government bail out bad investments when it cannot even get itself out of debt!
Or worse yet, how can the Federal Government bail out bad investments or even get itself out of debt when we have two idiots, George W Bush and Dick Cheney, plus a severely corrupted Congress, sapping the life out of this country and trying to reform the federal government into a dreaded dictatorship?!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 PM

Our US government put in $17 billion today. At 2 p.m., the market was taking a dump. We were down 320 points. Let's see what happens tomorrow. I think we are in deep crap.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
See what Countrywide Mortgage had to do yesterday?

When we were considering buying in Punta Gorda, our real estate agent was begging us [not literally, but close enough] to call Countrywide b/c they were so great, stable & were giving away bond money.

Credit concerns & housing. An analyst last night said October would see the s$%t really hit the fan.

Who knows. I think some of it is over dramatic, made for television scare tactics while other parts are dead on truth.

NOW mortgage companies are tighting up on lending. Like they didn't see this coming.

And one can see SO SO SO much of the impact of this in Lee County, primarily Fort Myers. Michael Moore will need to do a documentary on Fort Myers/Cape Coral soon.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,172 times
Quote:
See what Countrywide Mortgage had to do yesterday?

When we were considering buying in Punta Gorda, our real estate agent was begging us [not literally, but close enough] to call Countrywide b/c they were so great, stable & were giving away bond money.

Credit concerns & housing. An analyst last night said October would see the s$%t really hit the fan.

Who knows. I think some of it is over dramatic, made for television scare tactics while other parts are dead on truth.

NOW mortgage companies are tighting up on lending. Like they didn't see this coming.

And one can see SO SO SO much of the impact of this in Lee County, primarily Fort Myers. Michael Moore will need to do a documentary on Fort Myers/Cape Coral soon.
Seems like much of SW Florida is ground zero for the housing/credit bubble.. The NAR came out with the latest figures and it shows Cape Coral home prices are stable. What a sham.. Tell that to anyone who bought in 2004-06 that needs to sell or refinance. Perhaps the best thing that comes out of this is the state goes back to developing a real economy again..

Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Wow! Now there's a blast from the past.

Searched for "firemed," did you? Well, sure enough, we knew what we were talking about over two years ago. Before that, too. I forgot that 12184 figured out what swFlorida was all about very quickly.

Can anyone find the condo seller that I eluded to in a recent post? She's in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area