Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 AM

233 posts, read 269,876 times

Advertisements

Hey Y'all,

I'm planning my not to distant move to Florida. I have been looking at the Venice area. From this end of the computer it looks great and I have visited and enjoyed Sarasota. Some family members suggest I include Fort Meyers in my search. I have been looking up homes there and the prices seem extremely low. Can you tell me a little bit about Fort Meyers and compare it to Venice?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:47 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
There are many differences between the City of Venice and the City of Ft Myers. Venice is located in Sarasota County and is within easy driving distance to the City of Sarasota. It is a much smaller city than Ft Myers. Ft. Myers is located in Lee County. Both offer beaches, wildlife, golfing, boating, fishing, restaurants and downtown shops as well as many outdoor and cultural activities with wonderful weather. Venice has a lot of snow birds and retirees where the City of Ft Myers has a mixture of old and young with the median age being 35. It really depends on the lifestyle that you are looking for. North Port is also located in southern Sarasota County right next to Venice. It has affordable homes as well.

Here are some links that give detailed information.

City of Venice Link: http://venicegov.com/

City of Ft Myers Link: http://www.cityftmyers.com/

City of North Port Link: www.cityofnorthport.com

Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
They are hard to compare. they are very different. I prefer sarasota and venice over ft myers in just about every way except price. I do prefer sanibel over sarasota and venice. I was looking at sarasota originally but I ended up buying in Cape coral for two big reasons. One was the price. I thought it was an incredible value. The 2nd was I am into boating and fishing and the ability to do these things for the money are just about the best I've ever seen. but if I was looking for something like a condo on a beach I would def go either sarasota or sanibel. So a lot depends on you and what you like and what you can afford. Ft myers has some nice areas but also some super shady areas I'd be cautious.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
VeniceBound,I would think twice about Ft Myers.If you don't buy in Venice you should take a look at Cape Coral.Ive owned in both cities and couldn't wait to get out of FM.Even though we were in a decent neighborhood,there are just too many people roaming around on foot and in cars that are looking for opportunities for mischief.Most neighborhoods in SE and SW Cape Coral have a nice mix of working families,profesionals and retirees and strangers are noticed immediately.
Great boating,restaurants and shopping.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
Choose Venice..... Fort Myers basically SUCKS.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I would choose Cape Coral over Fort Myers, or perhaps Estero.

But the truth is we don't know enough about you to recommend anywhere, including Venice, Sarasota, Naples or Utah, for that matter. What are you looking for? Retiring? Need a job? Kids? What?

Strictly answering your question, though, Fort Myers has a high crime rate whereas Venice has a very low one. Fort Myers has a much younger demographic. I believe Venice has the highest median age in the country.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
They are hard to compare.
Ditto
Quote:
they are very different.
Ditto
Quote:
I prefer sarasota and venice over ft myers in just about every way except price.
Ditto
Quote:
I do prefer sanibel over sarasota and venice.
Ditto
Quote:
Ft myers has some nice areas but also some super shady areas I'd be cautious.
I agree. Sarasota also has a few not-so-nice areas. Sections of South Venice look very run down to me, but people still pay the higher prices to be closer to the beach and in Sarasota County.

As mentioned above, without knowing why someone is moving here, price range, education requirements, employment, etc., it's difficult to make helpful suggestions.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:30 PM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
As mentioned above, without knowing why someone is moving here, price range, education requirements, employment, etc., it's difficult to make helpful suggestions.
Retirement

$250k +/- cash buyer.

Want local schools to be average or better for resale. No kids.

Only will want part time work for something to do.

Likes big box, mom & pop, touristy stuff, dining out, fresh produce, healthy choice options available.

Enjoys heat and likes being outside.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM

225 posts, read 493,906 times
For you my 1st choice would be South Venice. 2nd would be Estero and 3rd, the SW area of Cape Coral

Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
Nobody mentions Englewood.....wonder why? Used to visit my mom when she lived there.Nice town and beaches but it reminded me of a Steven King movie where someone made off with all the young people.Went into a sports bar and an 80 year old chic in a tank top waited on us....same on the beach, hardly any younger people......and I'm no spring chicken. Just think it might be hard for younger families to adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area