Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNYmommy View Post
Thanks for that post, stahltkd. I checked out theSchool Assigment page...
Out of the 3 subzones for the West Zone, which is the best/worst, in your opinion? And these subzones are determined by your location?

I have to admit, coming from NY, I do think my kids are getting a great education and I hate to disrupt that, and yet, I look forward to the move. It is the only thing that truly worries me. Private school is not going to be an option. I am on top of them so I know they will not slack off but it won't matter if we are not in a good school...

Thank you for your help
The District has created three sub-zones within each zone.

"Families living in sub-zone 1 will select schools physically located within sub zone 1 and sub zone 2, and Zone Magnet schools if any
Families living within sub-zone 2 will be able to select among all schools within the entire zone.
Families living in sub-zone 3 will select among schools physically located in sub-zone 3 and sub-zone 2, and Zone Magnet schools if any.
Parents and students are expected to list all the schools in their sub-zone, in rank order. Every attempt will be made to assign students to the highest preference school possible."

I would probably concentrate more on finding a place that you'd like - as you could be sending a child to a different zone.

Cape Coral in general - SW/SE is older (our house was built in 78, but the whole town was first developed in 1940's - not like its a 1920s or earlier like in the NE) and that's where most of the population resides.

NW is pretty much barren - but new construction homes. It's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 houses on a block.

NE Cape (in my opinion) is where it's probably going to be "where it's at" / "the upcoming place to be". The NE is where they are building the new Veterans Hospital and that area (Del Prado and NE Pine Island Roads) has the more common chains and more trendy restaurants.

Back to education - I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the Cape Schools. I think the lowest was a "C" rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM

22 posts, read 43,752 times
I just moved back to Cape Coral a few years ago. I absolutely adore it! Yes you can get waterfront property for around 300,000. I am actually taking people out tomorrow in the same price range. =)

The school system here is a little different. You can choose which school you want to go to, but must apply ahead of time. I do not have kids so be sure to research. Plus we have the charter Schools which recently received high markings.

The Charter school is in SW Cape Coral, which is where you may find the home you are looking for.

A few things to consider when pricing homes here

1. How much work does it need? ( Short Sales and Especially Foreclosures may need additional remodeling and appliances.

2. City water assessments attached to the taxes. Be sure the Realtor looks up and explains that to you.

3. How long is the boat ride from your home?

4. Chinese Drywall?

5. 2002 or newer will have newer building codes and will save you in insurance.

Hope thats a good start! Message me if you have questions. =)

A.J.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
The District has created three sub-zones within each zone.

"Families living in sub-zone 1 will select schools physically located within sub zone 1 and sub zone 2, and Zone Magnet schools if any
Families living within sub-zone 2 will be able to select among all schools within the entire zone.
Families living in sub-zone 3 will select among schools physically located in sub-zone 3 and sub-zone 2, and Zone Magnet schools if any.
Parents and students are expected to list all the schools in their sub-zone, in rank order. Every attempt will be made to assign students to the highest preference school possible."

I would probably concentrate more on finding a place that you'd like - as you could be sending a child to a different zone.

Cape Coral in general - SW/SE is older (our house was built in 78, but the whole town was first developed in 1940's - not like its a 1920s or earlier like in the NE) and that's where most of the population resides.

NW is pretty much barren - but new construction homes. It's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 houses on a block.

NE Cape (in my opinion) is where it's probably going to be "where it's at" / "the upcoming place to be". The NE is where they are building the new Veterans Hospital and that area (Del Prado and NE Pine Island Roads) has the more common chains and more trendy restaurants.

Back to education - I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the Cape Schools. I think the lowest was a "C" rated.
I think your right about the NE.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackermanswfl View Post

The school system here is a little different. You can choose which school you want to go to, but must apply ahead of time. I do not have kids so be sure to research.

That's not quite right. You pick three choices and may end up not getting any of the three. Or your dead last choice. You can get on a waiting list but if it is a popular school then your child may never get in.

We lived in FM when our daughter entered kindergarten and didn't have a prayer in hell so we moved away. That was six years ago. I'm a product of the northeast school system and have adult children that are, too. I was a local newspaper reporter up there and heavily involved with the schools. What I saw in Florida was very scary.

Florida tends to heavily teach to the test. I know of two Florida teachers that escaped to where I live now for that reason. But that may be coming to an end soon.

But if you live in CC you will have a better chance of getting in there and the schools are some of the best in Lee County. It still may be a small or big step down from what your child is use to. Only way you can know for sure is to call someone and check to see what the curriculum is compared to where you are now.

Quote:
Hope thats a good start! Message me if you have questions. =)
Probably a better idea to suggest that they share with the rest of the class. It's a forum and others can benefit.

It also looks darn close to a solicitation.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 PM

53 posts, read 96,220 times
When you say northeast, do you mean NE FL or up here where I am?

I am extremely concerned about schools but I am also a certified teacher so they will have me working with them, with extra assignments if necessary...

To be perfectly honest, I worry about who they will be in school with (as I would worry anywhere, BTW) as much as curriculum.

We are excited about the bright futures college program as well... Wish we had been able to save more for college, and since we haven't been able to do much of that YET, this is something that will be a Godsend. Any experience with it?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM

This is the first time I've read on this forum that NE CC was most desirable. It usually goes SW, SE, NW and then NE. Personally, I think you get the best bang for your buck in the NW but the area can be very barren. SW is most expensive. SE is well-established but older.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,090,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is the first time I've read on this forum that NE CC was most desirable. It usually goes SW, SE, NW and then NE. Personally, I think you get the best bang for your buck in the NW but the area can be very barren. SW is most expensive. SE is well-established but older.

Hope this helps.

The Northeast cape coral, has no gulf access, which is the biggest draw of Cape Coral. It also borders North FT myers and is most likely to be subject to crime spread from North ft myers and lehigh. If you look at prices in the city NE has the lowest values, this is for a reason. Yes it has a lot of commercial development going on which is good for jobs , but areas that typically have this type of development become the least desirable to live. People who want more of an semi urban feel will chose the SE, People who like the suburb feel will chose the SW, people who like the rural feel will chose the NW. People with lower incomes (in general) will gravitate toward the NE.

there are no bad areas of Cape Coral, but the best are SE and SW below Cape Coral pkwy, and NW west of burnt store rd.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
The Northeast cape coral, has no gulf access, which is the biggest draw of Cape Coral. It also borders North FT myers and is most likely to be subject to crime spread from North ft myers and lehigh. If you look at prices in the city NE has the lowest values, this is for a reason. Yes it has a lot of commercial development going on which is good for jobs , but areas that typically have this type of development become the least desirable to live. People who want more of an semi urban feel will chose the SE, People who like the suburb feel will chose the SW, people who like the rural feel will chose the NW. People with lower incomes (in general) will gravitate toward the NE.
I agree. As I've said, I have an uncle that built in that area and its nice but it would not be my first choice. And some areas aren't that great. And North Fort Myers - a large portion of it - is a nightmare and freak show.

But in all my years in Florida and on this forum that was the first time I had heard people saying it is "up and coming." A veteran's hospital is nice but I've never heard of one making a neighborhood attractive. If anything, it could have the opposite effect. Same with chain restaurants.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. As I've said, I have an uncle that built in that area and its nice but it would not be my first choice. And some areas aren't that great. And North Fort Myers - a large portion of it - is a nightmare and freak show.

But in all my years in Florida and on this forum that was the first time I had heard people saying it is "up and coming." A veteran's hospital is nice but I've never heard of one making a neighborhood attractive. If anything, it could have the opposite effect. Same with chain restaurants.
Spot on....

Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM

53 posts, read 96,220 times
LOL, I agree

Would you consider anything south of Cape Coral Parkway SE or SW?
If we want to ge to open water within a few minutes, do you recommend being south of CC pkwy? Thats what we are assuming by looking at the map.
These are the 2 areas that appeakl to us so far...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area