Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
What type of slithering creepy crawly critters should one be on the lookout for in the Fort Myers/Punta Gorda area?

Are the big snakes a problem up that far north? The big lizards? How about alligators in salt water canals?

Will be spending the winter just south of Punta Gorda (Pirate Harbor) and will have two smallish dogs with me. Just want to be prepared and on the lookout for anything that could eat them.... or me!

I'm not hysterical about it, but better forewarned!
thanks
Dual
Keep an eye out for Pygmy Rattlers. I have seen a handful of them in the last few years, they are very aggressive and won't always take off when they see you. They are rattlers, but they are pretty small so you can't always hear the rattle and before you know it you right on top of them. I saw 2 of them a month or so ago at Lakes Park just chillin on the path in the sun, they looked at me and just sat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,789 times
two years ago we were in Ambersand beach which is on the barrier island of Vero... right next to the inlet. We had a bobcat in our yard. Beautiful animal! But, we chased it, loudly so it wouldn't come back. Our dogs are Border Terriers, small, but tough. They wouldn't have second thoughts about taking on a bob cat... afraid they would lose that battle.

Dual

Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
two years ago we were in Ambersand beach which is on the barrier island of Vero... right next to the inlet. We had a bobcat in our yard. Beautiful animal! But, we chased it, loudly so it wouldn't come back. Our dogs are Border Terriers, small, but tough. They wouldn't have second thoughts about taking on a bob cat... afraid they would lose that battle.

Dual
We get them on our property sometimes. We are very quiet when we see them because we don't want to disturb them, because we WANT them to come back.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,734 times
The cutest critters are the burrowing owls, unless you are trying to build where they live.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
I miss the iguana's...we used to have some 4 footers on our seawall which were great for scaring the grandkids.......cold snap killed them off last year...has anyone seen them coming back?????
Saw a small one the other day.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I miss the iguana's...we used to have some 4 footers on our seawall which were great for scaring the grandkids.......cold snap killed them off last year...has anyone seen them coming back?????
Saw a small one the other day.
You crack me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area