Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,075,155 times

Advertisements

Might have been a bit too obvious but heres where i'd start the search Google
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,759,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sjusthewayitis View Post
So basically all the jobs that are posted in the area are fake? They just put them out there because they think it's fun to have people send in applications for jobs that don't exist? Wow, maybe you can just get a job just posting these bogus job openings, sounds like a lot of fun.
Actually that might be partially true.

The optical chain I go to-in Naples-has a help wanted poster up. When I mentioned to the clerk she says they are not hiring but are not allowed to take the sign down. She said she felt bad as people come in all dressed for an interview that won't happen.

She didn't elaborate but my guess is that sign gives a (false) illusion of prosperity.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,392,783 times
Quote:
I have been in work force for years and as I said earlier I went through the whole interview process last year a few times and I have never been through or even heard of a group interview until now. Seems rather informal and a little ridiculous for a person that has spent $100,000 on an education to not get a one on one interview, but I guess you gotta take what you can get.
The group interviews that I have dealt with are usually for six figure jobs (or nearly 6 figures) for candidates with degrees and many years of professional experience.

IMO, when they are paying the big bucks, they are a lot more picky about who they hire. They interviews are not informal, and you have to be on your toes because each person has a set of questions and they are all evaluating everything you say. Often the interviews get into very detailed Q and A tests to confirm that you know your field...even though the experience is clearly defined on you resume. Sometimes the Q and A are like rapid fire, verbal college finals...and you actually cram for the interview and memorize things. And if you pass one set of interviews, you might get called back to do this again the next week for a new group of people.

Just because you might be in a group interview, it doesn't mean you won't get a one on one. You might get 3 one on ones (with 3 different people) and also get to meet with 2 or 3 different groups. All for the same job.

Don't feel above it because you paid a lot of money for your degree. You have to master the interview process to get hired. It's a whole different animal than it ever was(the interview process).

If you went through the interview process last year, and did not partake in a group interview, you likely did not make it past the first screening interview. The very first one is more likely to be one-on-one prescreening. If you pass that, you start getting the invites to the group interviews....first via phone and when they are real serious, in person.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:52 PM

13 posts, read 20,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The group interviews that I have dealt with are usually for six figure jobs (or nearly 6 figures) for candidates with degrees and many years of professional experience.

IMO, when they are paying the big bucks, they are a lot more picky about who they hire. They interviews are not informal, and you have to be on your toes because each person has a set of questions and they are all evaluating everything you say. Often the interviews get into very detailed Q and A tests to confirm that you know your field...even though the experience is clearly defined on you resume. Sometimes the Q and A are like rapid fire, verbal college finals...and you actually cram for the interview and memorize things. And if you pass one set of interviews, you might get called back to do this again the next week for a new group of people.

Just because you might be in a group interview, it doesn't mean you won't get a one on one. You might get 3 one on ones (with 3 different people) and also get to meet with 2 or 3 different groups. All for the same job.

Don't feel above it because you paid a lot of money for your degree. You have to master the interview process to get hired. It's a whole different animal than it ever was(the interview process).

If you went through the interview process last year, and did not partake in a group interview, you likely did not make it past the first screening interview. The very first one is more likely to be one-on-one prescreening. If you pass that, you start getting the invites to the group interviews....first via phone and when they are real serious, in person.

Since I was offered 100% of the jobs I interviewed for I assume I made it past the "first screening interview." One of them was for head of finance for a Fortune 500 company with salary and bonuses approaching 6 figures. So not much else to say here.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,392,783 times
Quote:
Since I was offered 100% of the jobs I interviewed for I assume I made it past the "first screening interview." One of them was for head of finance for a Fortune 500 company with salary and bonuses approaching 6 figures. So not much else to say here.
I don't believe you....
CFOs(that's what the head of finance is called, BTW) at Fortune 500 companies make more than that....and....if you were that high on the totem pole, you would have experienced a group interview and would be very well versed in them.

So not much else to say here.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I don't believe you....
CFOs(that's what the head of finance is called, BTW) at Fortune 500 companies make more than that....and....if you were that high on the totem pole, you would have experienced a group interview and would be very well versed in them.

So not much else to say here.
A CFO is a Chief Financial Officer, Department Head of Finance isn't even close to the same thing. I have also talked with other people who have interviewed lately and a human resource director who does interviews regularly and most every one of them has never run into a group interview. My friend who is the HR director told me the only time they use a group interview is when there are many people interviewing for many similar jobs and she works for a very large corporation in Upstate New York. You have no idea what you are even talking about.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,099,797 times
I'm wondering if the two of you are discussing two different things. I could be very wrong but perhaps one is talking about a group interview where several candidates show up en masse. The other is talking about one candidate meeting different department heads at one time.

N'est-ce pas?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm wondering if the two of you are discussing two different things. I could be very wrong but perhaps one is talking about a group interview where several candidates show up en masse. The other is talking about one candidate meeting different department heads at one time.

N'est-ce pas?
I was talking about a group interview with other interviewees, as in people also looking for a job. I have interviewed with more than one interviewer, but 2 or 3 people isn't exactly what I would call a group.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,099,797 times
Quote:
I was talking about a group interview with other interviewees, as in people also looking for a job. I have interviewed with more than one interviewer, but 2 or 3 people isn't exactly what I would call a group.
That's what I thought you meant and I think that's what the OP is asking about. I believe sware2cod is referring to the other scenario.

By the way I hear that the group interviews are the new "thing." I think Apple may have led the way on this. They hold group interviews even for their retail positions where the candidates have to role play and critique one another. Someone else on CD mentioned it and I Googled it.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's what I thought you meant and I think that's what the OP is asking about. I believe sware2cod is referring to the other scenario.

By the way I hear that the group interviews are the new "thing." I think Apple may have led the way on this. They hold group interviews even for their retail positions where the candidates have to role play and critique one another. Someone else on CD mentioned it and I Googled it.

That's weird, I can't even imagine having role play to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area