Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,234 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Lehigh Acres for 4 years. It has totally ruined me financially and there are no jobs here. Wal Mart on a weekend???? I'd rather get a root canal. My house was worth $360k 2 years ago. It just went to foreclosure after being on the market for $180k for 9 months, and I am a real estate broker. Lehigh is a haven for marijauna grow houses, there is nothing for kids to do, vacant houses, really bad schools (all of Lee County) extremely high taxes. and Rednecks galore. But if you're into Bible belting Beer swilling dixie flag waving southern style stuff this place would be perfect for you.

Last edited by gr8fulboy; 06-27-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Lehigh=craphole.... Not a good area.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
Last week when we were at Sanibel I was watching the local news and they reported two home invasions, one being in Lehigh Acres. Are home invasions common down there?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I know you didn't ask me, but I will opine anyway. I think that Lehigh acres and some of Cape Coral may be prone to crime because of inadequate home security caused by a lack of financial resources currently in the area. Let me explain. I think that because of the bad job market, there may be lots of ppl who are desperate for money. For the same reason homeowners are unable to properly secure their houses because it's too expensive. While my trip was brief, I did notice a few things in the Cape Coral area that may make break-ins more likely:
1. No home alarms -- Even in nice neighborhoods ppl have alarm systems.

2. Very low or no fencing -- In some places there were "gated" communities (we saw them closer to the airport) where the developer provided the fencing for the residents. Most CC houses had NO fencing or 4-foot fences. In an area with so many sexual predators (based on the other posts, not any of my own research) I assume that anyone with sense would get a decent privacy fence and security system. I think that the reason residents did not take more security precautions is because they can't afford it. Even ppl in wealthy neighborhoods need to take security precautions! The lack of security may be one of the reasons for home "invasions."

3. Relatively Low Population - As some other ppl on the forum have said the houses in CC are fairly close together. There are tons of houses and the lots are only about 1/4 of an acre. Nevertheless, there don't seem to be very many ppl living there. That may contribute to home invasions. I suspect that some of the invaders were targeting empty homes and may have happened to bump into an unlucky homeowner.

Anyway, I know I didn't answer your question. Hopefully someone will log on and give a resident's viewpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Last week when we were at Sanibel I was watching the local news and they reported two home invasions, one being in Lehigh Acres. Are home invasions common down there?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 21,241 times
we moved from ct to lehigh because we built a house to flip but are very upside down on it that we moved here..started our own business are actually LOVE it here...is it where we would choose NO, but we learned a great life lesson and that is that this town is full of people who love their community, are supportive of it, look out for each other and it has changed SO MUCH in the last two years..people out walking their dogs, homes being purchased and taken care of...it is no different differcity than that of NYC where we used to travel for a day of shopping, sightseeing, restaurants,etc...honestly, this is NOT what it used to be...Lehigh WAS an up and coming place to be and we TRUELY believe that it soon will be back on the map...watch the local or even international news and you will see that Lehigh Acres, FL is the economic trend setter for the U.S...we came here out of economic obligations but have grown to LOVE this town and the people's spirit of this town..we are here and committed to helping our community grow! I think a young family or even retired people such as us will grow to love this town!! Do not be discouraged by the negative reviews of Lehigh...never in a million years would we have dreamed we would grow to love our home and community as we have!!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM

[quote=jacnit;6738369]we moved from ct to lehigh because we built a house to flip but are very upside down on it so much sothat we moved here..started our own business and actually LOVE it here...is it where we would choose NO, but we learned a great life lesson and that is that this town is full of people who love their community, are supportive of it, look out for each other and it has changed SO MUCH in the last two years..people out walking their dogs, homes being purchased and taken care of...it is no different differcity than that of NYC where we used to travel for a day of shopping, sightseeing, restaurants,etc...honestly, this is NOT what it used to be...Lehigh WAS an up and coming place to be and we TRUELY believe that it soon will be back on the map...watch the local or even international news and you will see that Lehigh Acres, FL is the economic trend setter for the U.S...we came here out of economic obligations but have grown to LOVE this town and the people's spirit of this town..we are here and committed to helping our community grow! I think a young family or even retired people such as us will grow to love this town!! Do not be discouraged by the negative reviews of Lehigh...never in a million years would we have dreamed we would grow to love our home and community as we have!! jackie & ron

Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Default and by the way!

jackie & ron here again..pertaining to the post of Naples and Cape Coral...we have gone to both of these towns for our business needs,,,PLEASE! Cape Coral or the "Cape" as it is called...i almost laughed myself to death...the only "cape" i know is the REAL cape in the northeast where I have spent time at and BELIEVE me Cape Coral is NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE to the real cape!!!! I drive thru the "cape" here in Florida and laugh as it is NOT any better than LeHigh Acres...Naples??...oh yeah, but you better have ALOT more cash in the bank to afford this town..it is BEAUTIFUL and full of BEAUTIFUL people and there is absolutely nothing wrong w/that IF that is what your bank account allows..if not, PLEASE give Lehigh a chance..we did unwillingly,....but find that we were placed here for a reason and have been humbled by it's people...great spirits that love their community and are fighting to bring it back to the great place it used to be...we are inspired to stay here and see it come back!!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,368 times
What would be price for 1/4 acre parcel of residential land located on 2131 69street W in Lehigh acres? I just bid on that in an auction.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:52 PM

17 posts, read 63,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdiamonds View Post
What would be price for 1/4 acre parcel of residential land located on 2131 69street W in Lehigh acres? I just bid on that in an auction.
you can buy 1/4 from 3500 , but i wouldn't buy off 69 st street when there's lots of lots available closer to town . I hope your not buying from the broker with the 360,000 home in lehigh, thats a broker!!!! .a few threads back...

Last edited by upb4u; 03-26-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Lehigh Acres??? I wouldn't want my dog to live there. As stated above, crime ridden with a police force the mayor has publicly stated as being undermanned.

There are serious issues that plague Lehigh ranging from excessive housing inventory, crime, infrastructure...you name the problem, it can be found in Lehigh.

There are other areas that are better if they are intent on SW FL such as Bonita Springs, Estero, & Punta Gorda; --all places that are very geared towards the retiree lifestyle. Lehigh is just a ghetto.

holy moly, it sounds like lehigh has changed alot since I last lived there. 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area