Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,291,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Investors and the flipping craze started this entire mess. The average joe thinking they could buy a house that they could turn around and sell added to the situation. And of course the banks taking all of those shaky loans and selling them as derivatives.
Do Fannie and Freddie take loans that are made to investors? I thought the whole point was to help first time homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 02:27 PM

70 posts, read 119,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I am not necessarily happy to hear about frenzied buying by investors. For one thing investors are most likely getting mortgages, which means they could get foreclosed on some day creating another housing crisis. Also, owners often make better neighbors than tenants.
the average of cash sales percentage of the last three years is 67 percent. I have heard of a few investors buying with leverage. From what we have seen most of the end users are buying with leverage

Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 210,719 times
Hard money loans.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

378 posts, read 826,001 times
Investors and flippers have a constructive role to play in healing a market with many foreclosures. Most regular buyers have no interest in buying a home that needs a lot of work and the financing they usually need won't allow it anyway. Flippers can straighten out that home.

FM/CC and SW FL real estate in general are seeing home prices stabilize or increase when in most of the rest of the US the prices are still going down. Rising prices = less underwater mortgages, less foreclosures.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:33 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 212,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Investors and flippers have a constructive role to play in healing a market with many foreclosures. Most regular buyers have no interest in buying a home that needs a lot of work and the financing they usually need won't allow it anyway. Flippers can straighten out that home.

FM/CC and SW FL real estate in general are seeing home prices stabilize or increase when in most of the rest of the US the prices are still going down. Rising prices = less underwater mortgages, less foreclosures.
Great info Alf. I think you've summed up the situation in SWF very well. When I bought my new house in April of 2010, when the Market was scrapping the bottom of the barrel, my home was the only one on my side of the street. Now the entire side has new homes on it.
Sales brochures for my community claim they've sold over a hundred homes in 2011. Something very positive is going on in the Fort Myers marketplace.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 212,610 times

More GOOD news! Fort Myers is No. 4 on the top 10 list. The news is great for Florida as a whole as 8 of the top 10 turnaround towns are in Florida.

Top 10 turnaround towns - Miami (1) - CNNMoney
Fair Use from CNN Money:

"
Median home price: $115,000

After the housing bubble burst, many older Americans postponed their retirement to the Sunshine State, significantly hurting retiree havens like Fort Myers.

Things are looking up now, especially as an influx of Canadian retirees and vacation-home seekers look to take advantage of a strong Canadian dollar and beaten down home prices.

Median listing prices for the Fort Myers metro area saw the biggest increase in the nation last year, up 31% compared with 12 months earlier, according to Realtor.com. That trend should continue thanks to shrinking housing inventory, which was down 35% year-over-year.

New inventory will also be making its way onto the market. Custom home building is on the rise, which has helped to create more construction jobs, said Tuccillo. The unemployment rate for the metro area fell 2.7 percentage points over the 12 months ended in November to 10.5%.

Fiserv estimates that home prices should climb by more than 5% over the next five years"

Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,291,272 times
That looks like a picture of Cape Coral.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 210,719 times
Forgive me if this was already posted, but I saw this on my Comcast homepage today: Home Values: 5 Best Markets | Bankrate.com

Cape Coral/Ft. Myers was #1 in the nation for best housing market, up 25.6% in Q-4 2011 over Q-4 2010.

Awesome news, we are so glad we bought when we did!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,060,381 times
You may see a lot less articles like this in the future. For whatever reason the florida association of realtors changed their name to florida realtors and also decided to compile their real estate info as a state and no longer seperate the nubers by msa's. Cape coral ft myers has not been running lock step with the rest of the state for a very long time. We will depend even more to our members like ccresi, tamre, and jeff tumbarello to get us info like median home prices, price per sq ft, avg price,and avg days on market sale to list price etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area