Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 PM

28 posts, read 49,443 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does anyone else think guidelines for DIY projects and renovations are rediculously difficult to understand. I just want to know if I can do my own renovations without permit as long as cost is not over $2500.? Can someone explain what I need to do for example; replace four windows in my house myself. I am used to going and buying the windows and doing it, but seemingly I cannot do that here in CC??????

I am posting this for the hubby.......

Last edited by sandyg1; 03-08-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg1 View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think guidelines for DIY projects and renovations are rediculously difficult to understand. I just want to know if I can do my own renovations without permit as long as cost is not over $2500.? Can someone explain what I need to do for example; replace four windows in my house myself. I am used to going and buying the windows and doing it, but seemingly I cannot do that here in CC??????

I am posting this for the hubby.......
No you have to consider the building codes, specially in an area with hurricanes.
As a basic rule anything that does not need a code inspection, should be ok if you stay with in the $2500.00.
Most areas that involve changing Plumbing, Electrical, exterior like windows and doors, thing like that will need a permit.
Tile, painting, changing a interior door (without doing structural work), hanging a new light fixture, changing a faucet, does not need a permit.

I know in some areas in FL when it comes to a $ limit they count the labor you put in also not just the material.

Example changing a door cost - material $250.00 labor $300.00- The city would look at this as a $550.00 job even if you do the labor yourself.

The main thing you have to remember about the municipalities is that they live of off the fee's they charge. The more they can hose a home owner the higher on the hog they can live.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
Follow the city/county requriements or you could get fined for not getting a permit when required. You could also run into problems if you ever sold your house and didn't have a permit to do something that was required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area