Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM

60 posts, read 142,014 times

Advertisements

OK we've had enough winter, but we're homebodies so we've decided to take our home with us, and take an RV. This is for 2013. If we're going south to be warm, then we're heading to south Florida to be good and warm, so RV parks in the Fort Myers area seem like a plan.Any suggestions? We aren't shuffleboard and bingo types. Birdwalks, bicycling, gardens; that's more along my line.This could be considered a preliminary scouting for a possible move to the south from NH. I've been watching the Forum and have been quite impressed by the scope of the answers. Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM

42 posts, read 178,693 times
Not sure what size coach you have but Red Coconuts is directly on the beach but the sites are snug. We've stayed at Ebb Tide, but go in summer. There's a park next door to Ebb Tide called Oyster Bay which rents sites also (both of these parks back up to Hurricane Bay).

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 AM

Not sure what your budget is, if you have pets and how many, if you would like to be near to the beach or on water, how big of a site you'd like or need, but I thought of a few more parks.

Gulf Air is a little more pricey, about 2 miles to the beach, on San Carlos Blvd; it is probably the most modern of the parks in the area (not a blade of grass out of place). There's San Carlos RV Park, which is on the bay and maybe a mile from the beach (right on San Carlos Blvd).

If you don't have pets, and are lucky enough to snag a reservation, there is Periwinkle Park right on Sanibel Island. It's not gulf front but is a short bike ride from the beach. There is a toll to cross the Sanibel Causeway bridge to get onto the island.

I tend to enjoy the charm of the older parks which is why we've stayed at Ebb Tide the last 4 summers (also would recommend Oyster Bay RV park). Both are on Hurricane Bay, off the main drag, yet close to everything. Another great source of information is the RV.net forum (campground section) and RV park reviews.

Good luck and happy camping

Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the input. Guess I should have given more info. 36 ft motorhome, an older model in keeping with our lower budget. Travelling with large dog and small cat, both friendly. The dog is obedient, the cat not so much, but she will stay in the motorhome. The dog is my buddy and pretty much stays with me. The beach is nice, but we'd prefer maybe a little more room and some shade, a dog park. Certainly doesn't have o be over 55. We like the outdoors in a relaxed way. OK I have to ask-I know not to let my dog in any body of water bigger than her water bowl, but how much do I have to worry about alligators? Up here visitors freak about bears, but they really aren't a problem given a dash of common sense. Same with gators there?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM

Hi Kat, we've been coming to the area each summer for many years and haven't had any problems with gators. As long as you avoid fresh water areas with your furbaby you'll be fine.

There's so many campgrounds around Ft. Myers, and each seems to have a different flavor. Ebb Tide doesn't have lots of shade but I appreciate it's old Florida charm and central location. Our rig is also 36 ft. and we had no trouble finding a site. Since being by the gulf isn't a huge factor, I would visit RV park reviews and read the feedback.

Good luck with your visit and I think you'll be hooked on the area. We finally bit the bullet and bought a small home there (found out yesterday the deal was accepted).

RV Park Reviews :: Fort Myers, Florida ( FL ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Congrats Sheshells! Actually we've been pretty diligent in searching out rv sites, were just looking for personal input. I am considering a move to Florida and this area is the selected one based on lots of things. Still in the considering stage so plan on coming down in an rv for a couple years in the winter. If that goes well we'll have to test out the summer months although my idea of heaven would be SW FL from Nov to April, maybe even May. Then back to the mountains for the best part of both places. As you can see we like to look before we jump. Many thanks, enjoy the new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area