Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim09091 View Post
Just want to clarify that SW FL did not go through 4 hurricanes back to back. We were hit by Charley and Wilma. We had fringe effects (rain & wind) from Jeanne & Frances.

Buy a generator (they are right around $500 these days). I know all about the no electricity thing (family is on Bonita Beach - a barrier island). It is not fun. But I will tell you, being in MA during an ice storm with no power for 4 days was a lot, lot worse. All we had was our fireplaces and the inside temp was somewhere in the 40's before we got our power back on (even if you have an electric or gas furnace they are all electrically started and run). That was much, much, much worse. I'd rather sweat it out than literally freeze to death.
I do not know where you were, but Jeanne & Francis still did damage, could not work or go to school, etc... I think some of it was stress from Charley first, then everyone was scared of Jeanne. I had a tree leaning toward the house from Charley, was affraid to stay in it for Jeanne! Francis too. We did have four! Just not all as bad as Charley! We had a generator but you can only use them for certain items. A fan, fridge, light. They are not big enough for the air cond. or hot water tank. (unless you spend a few k.)
I lived in a house that only had a fireplace for heat, you did freeze until you lit the fire, then it was fine. You can always add a layer, you can only take off so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
Default No!

Ft. Myers has really gone down hill in the last few years. I know someone in construction there and he see's what's going on. No. don't go there or Miami, Tampa. Possibles are: Clermont, Lake Wales, Spring Hill, Boca Raton, possible Wellington. Last two are expensive.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM

52 posts, read 288,087 times
We live in Estero and have mixed feelings. However, since we're here (due to a job relocation), we're bound and determined to make the best of it. We've got two boys, ages 9 & 12, and we're still trying to find the right friends, etc. It's tough but do-able. Please feel free to PM any further questions.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
We will be moving to the Ft. Myers area in March. I have read so many negative posts and a few positive ones. (Can't wait to see the sunsets.) I have lived in Ft. Walton Beach and Titusville so I know about the bugs, heat, hurricanes and high insurance, etc. I just hope the area will be of our liking as we will be there for a long time with our employment.

We are keeping an open mind and will just have to make my own opinions once we get settled in. Hope you all don't mind our Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers!
I am so glad to hear that after reading all these NEGATIVE responses, you are still keeping an open mind. For heaven sakes, I can't believe all the negativity radiating from my computer screen.
We are in Fort Myers, temporarily on a job transfer. I am a Florida chick anyway, so I'm used to some of the things that have been mentioned here (although my first real hurricane experience wasn't till 2004, and I'm in my 30's) but I think opinions of Fort Myers could be expressed without complaining so much. If you all are soooo unhappy here, then why not move??
First of all, Fort Myers is a BEAUTIFUL place. I love my hometown city of Plant City (winter strawberry capital of the world) but honestly, when I go back to visit, it's just ugly LOL Fort Myers is BEAUTIFUL. New buildings, with the Mediterranean flair, lots of palm trees, and just PRETTY. Downtown Fort Myers is an old city, so it's somewhat run down in areas. We live in Gateway, (which by the way, is NOT full of snobs and rich, rude people!!) just East of I-75. There's all sorts of new malls, shops, restaurants and stuff popping up around here. Gulf Coast Town Center is VERY nice, and all the shops are beginning to open. You CAN get into restaurants, just like in any city, you just have to be savvy about it. Have a late lunch and/or early dinner. You miss most of the crowds. We do this frequently, since we have a 3 year old who runs us ragged while waiting. It's basically like any other city, with the fact that you have all different people from all walks of life here. I've found most people are pretty friendly, in all areas. If you are from a very small town, like with one red light, Fort Myers will probably be slightly overwhelming to you.
I guess you have already made your move. I should keep reading to see how you like it

Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Fort Myers is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there or anywhere in Florida anymore. Sorry, but it's just my opinion. The gulf beaches are plagued with redtide, pollution and who knows what else. Lake O is ruining the canals with green slime and killing fish by the thousands, maybe the millions. Fort Myers is overcrowded and overpriced as well as other parts of Florida. The sunsets are nice but you can have a beautiful sunset some place else. The hurricanes are terrible. TERRIBLE. I lived through all of the last bunch of them. Charley hit us hard. I still shutter when I hear the wind.

I would say to stay in your old home town. What's better than being in a place you know? You can always visit Florida for a vacation and not be subject to all the storms and snowbirds! Alot of the birds are a grumpy bunch. Not all though.
Why be a sitting duck when those storms are coming? The weathermen can't really predict where the storm will hit. Look up info on Charley and see what happened with that hurricane.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:41 PM

63 posts, read 248,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Fort Myers is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there or anywhere in Florida anymore. Sorry, but it's just my opinion. The gulf beaches are plagued with redtide, pollution and who knows what else. Lake O is ruining the canals with green slime and killing fish by the thousands, maybe the millions. Fort Myers is overcrowded and overpriced as well as other parts of Florida. The sunsets are nice but you can have a beautiful sunset some place else. The hurricanes are terrible. TERRIBLE. I lived through all of the last bunch of them. Charley hit us hard. I still shutter when I hear the wind.

I would say to stay in your old home town. What's better than being in a place you know? You can always visit Florida for a vacation and not be subject to all the storms and snowbirds! Alot of the birds are a grumpy bunch. Not all though.
Why be a sitting duck when those storms are coming? The weathermen can't really predict where the storm will hit. Look up info on Charley and see what happened with that hurricane.
Well, actually right now Lake O isn't ruining anything. It is somewhere around 10 feet and the saltwater is actually flowing up the river and to the lake. (Dry season in FL - just shows you how quick things can change here from one year to another). We did have years of tremedous runoff from the lake and the hurricanes didn't help - they stirred up pollutants that had been on the bottom and this did some nasty things to the river and the canals. The sugar industry and agriculture has been using the lake and river as a dumping point for their runoff and this is finally *starting* to be addressed - but we have a long road ahead of us on that front. Hopefully, the Everglades Restoration Act can provide some relief but it will be years before we can see anything from it.

Hurricanes can hit anywhere up and down the coast. Once again, I'll stress that the area didn't have a direct impact since Donna in 1960 until Charley in 2004 & Wilma in 2005.

"Alot of the birds are a grumpy bunch. Not all though. " - I'll agree with that!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM

63 posts, read 248,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
Ft. Myers has really gone down hill in the last few years. I know someone in construction there and he see's what's going on. No. don't go there or Miami, Tampa. Possibles are: Clermont, Lake Wales, Spring Hill, Boca Raton, possible Wellington. Last two are expensive.
Everyone knows someone in construction. Big deal, doesn't mean a thing. It's gone downhill if you like a sleepy little area. Otherwise, it hasn't gone "downhill". Now, you may not like it and that is fine. It's not for everyone.

I lived in Boca Raton. We left in the 90's - too much Miami influence for us at that point.

I was back there recently - the area is beginning to look dated and old.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:12 PM

155 posts, read 473,763 times
PLEASE DISREGARD THE HIGH CRIME POSTS!! Crime is NOT bad here. You can let the statistics speak for themselves. Cape Coral is one of the safest cities with over 100,000 people to live in. Also SW FLorida is cheaper than many other areas of Florida. The schools do not suck. Ft Myers High is I believe the 52nd best high school in the country. It may not seem high but just consider how many high schools there are out there. The best way to know if its the right place for you is to come down and explore it a little bit. I wouold recomend the Estero area if you do come down.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
PLEASE DISREGARD THE HIGH CRIME POSTS!! Crime is NOT bad here. You can let the statistics speak for themselves. Cape Coral is one of the safest cities with over 100,000 people to live in. Also SW FLorida is cheaper than many other areas of Florida. The schools do not suck. Ft Myers High is I believe the 52nd best high school in the country. It may not seem high but just consider how many high schools there are out there. The best way to know if its the right place for you is to come down and explore it a little bit. I wouold recomend the Estero area if you do come down.
Do you sell real estate ?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:31 PM

155 posts, read 473,763 times
I don't know the first thing about real estate actually. I'm just stating facts and statistics which says a lot more than someone's opinion. I could ask you the same question. Do you sell real estate somewhere else because you sure love scaring people away from Lee County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area