Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM

12 posts, read 60,589 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will move into our Sandoval house this fall; it's being built this summer. We plan to add a screened enclosure (but not a pool) to the back. Would appreciate advice from anyone on this list who's done that. In particular,

- Can you recommend a contractor? I contacted Fabri Tech, but other than a price, they haven't yet answered my questions.

- I plan to use 4-inch-thick pavers as the base. Does that sound OK, considering I won't have a pool?

- The enclosure will be about 15 feet by 34 feet. Any idea what something like that should cost?

I would add that we're really psyched about moving here (wouldn't have bought otherwise, I guess). And this forum is a huge help in learning about the area, miscreants and all. (Every online forum has its malcontents.)

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,488,808 times
A lot of my customers have used Absolute Aluminum. I know some builders and pool companies use them and they have done a lot of work in different developments. You do need a permit to put in a screened lanai.

Here is the web site for Absolute Aluminum: Outdoor Kitchens, Screen Enclosures, Sunrooms - ABSOLUTE ALUMINUM Sarasota Venice

I would get quotes from about 3 different companies. Prices do vary as well as does quality and workmanship. There are different types of screen and different colors of aluminum too.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:33 AM

621 posts, read 1,414,309 times
Default Lanai's etc

I am also looking to add a roofed screen room on an existing deck on my home. I contacted one company who came out, looked at it, and told me they would get back to me with numbers. They never called back! Unfortunately this seems to be a bit of a trend down here?

I've just emailed the above mentioned company to see if they would come this far south (Pine Island), we'll see if they respond.

If anyone else has any suggestions... suggest away!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM

15 posts, read 54,736 times
Default Rescreen pool enclosure and also a front entry screen build

I had a local fellow rescreen my pool enclosure and he did a good job reasonable. Had him come back and build a screen front entry so I could take advantage of the great weather by opening front and back doors for a super flow through breeze. Happy with the results. Ron

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Default Re: need info about screened lanai enclosure

Thanks, Tam, for your tip; I'm following up with Absolute.

Rtausnet, can you tell us the company who did your work? Thanks.

Will post any more info I get from contractors on this board.

Ken

Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM

198 posts, read 479,632 times
We used Cape Coral Screen & Vinyl a couple of years ago for a front entrance inclosure and are very happy with the results.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 212,610 times
Larry,

I had almost the exact same set up built on my house last year. I would just recommend that you insist the contractor use a full concrete slab for the pavers, as I did.

My contractor was Premier Enclosures in Fort Myers. They did excellent work, but like many contractors, you have to keep a close eye on them.

You can see mine here:
Flickr: Prairie1958's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/florida_house/ - broken link)

Good luck with your project. This is one of the best additions you can make on any Florida home, IMHO.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie360 View Post
Larry,

I had almost the exact same set up built on my house last year. I would just recommend that you insist the contractor use a full concrete slab for the pavers, as I did.

My contractor was Premier Enclosures in Fort Myers. They did excellent work, but like many contractors, you have to keep a close eye on them.

You can see mine here:
Flickr: Prairie1958's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/florida_house/ - broken link)

Good luck with your project. This is one of the best additions you can make on any Florida home, IMHO.
Thanks for your input. Why do I want concrete under the pavers? Wouldn't it be better to have them over sand and gravel, for better drainage? Just asking, as I'm new at this.
Also, you say I have to keep a close eye on Premier. Can you be more specific? Did they try to cheap-out on materials? Or not follow the contract?

Ken

Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
A lot of my customers have used Absolute Aluminum. I know some builders and pool companies use them and they have done a lot of work in different developments. You do need a permit to put in a screened lanai.

Here is the web site for Absolute Aluminum: Outdoor Kitchens, Screen Enclosures, Sunrooms - ABSOLUTE ALUMINUM Sarasota Venice

I would get quotes from about 3 different companies. Prices do vary as well as does quality and workmanship. There are different types of screen and different colors of aluminum too.
Thanks for this. I've talked to Ryan at Absolute, and they're definitely on the list.

Ken

Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 212,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylifelines View Post
Thanks for your input. Why do I want concrete under the pavers? Wouldn't it be better to have them over sand and gravel, for better drainage? Just asking, as I'm new at this.
Also, you say I have to keep a close eye on Premier. Can you be more specific? Did they try to cheap-out on materials? Or not follow the contract?

Ken
They sometimes don't show up when they promise you they will. Concrete under the pavers prevents weeds and varmints from making the spaces between the pavers home. It's also prevents shifting and is generally a stronger installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area