Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times

Advertisements

I've said this before; when you start naming high-crime areas the point is lost. There are a lot of Midwesterners in Southwest Florida, though, and I guess Detroit and Chicago can be their frame of reference. However, if I'm going to spend money on a vacation or retirement home I don't want to be in a high-crime rate area.

I find it interesting that you live in Gateway, between Lehigh and the Dunbar/ East Fort Myers area, wjj. Bad, desperate people - especially those looking for money - do not stay in their own neighborhoods, where there are less booty to capitalize on.

Further, Gateway is in Fort Myers as is San Carlos Park, Island Park, etc. Those are just areas of Fort Myers. Are they in the city boundaries of Fort Myers? No. They are in Lee County. But that is still Fort Myers.

I like Gateway, don't get me wrong. I even use to work over there. And I don't think it is a particulary unsafe area by any means. But comparing it to Chicago is a bit unfortunate. I also don't by Lee County's reported crime rate. I think it is higher but the stats are massaged by a suspect police department. But that's neither here nor there. I've stated where the bad areas and I didn't consider Gateway to be one of them. But I don't consider Fort Myers to be that great. It has too many spotty areas. I'd rather purchase in Cape Coral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:46 AM

Location: Long Island, NY & The Somerset at the Plantation, Fort Myers, FL
95 posts, read 213,942 times
And the beat goes on....

Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Further, Gateway is in Fort Myers as is San Carlos Park, Island Park, etc. Those are just areas of Fort Myers. Are they in the city boundaries of Fort Myers? No. They are in Lee County. But that is still Fort Myers.

I really do not understand this comment. Lee County has over 600,000 residents but only one tenth of them live in Fort Myers. In other words, 90% of the residents of Lee County live outside of Fort Myers, including my neighbors in Gateway and your neighbors in CC. How can you say that anything in Lee County is still Fort Myers?

The Lee County crime stats, which include the bloated stats for Fort Myers, are lower than the FL state average. Strip out Fort Myers from those stats, and the rest of Lee County - the 90% - is well below the FL state average crime rates.

I do see your point about if you start talking about areas to avoid, then maybe the location is not right for many people who just are not used to having any crime within 50 miles of them. And I do agree that the frame of reference that you are coming from plays a big role. For someone coming from a big urban area, it is simply accepted that there will be high crime, run down areas that you need to avoid. It is just life. No one even thinks twice about it. But that does not mean that you cannot live in a very high end, very safe community in that urban area.

My primary home is in Lake County IL, which is about 25 miles north of Chicago and is considered to be one of the more affluent counties in the country in many surveys. But it is also home to some very dangerous and run down areas. But no one gives it a second thought. Just stay out of the bad areas. Everyone knows where they are. Likewise, I grew up in Chicago, my office is in Chicago, and my son lives in the city. I never feel like I am in any danger when I am in the city, but I also know what areas to stay out of, and I do.

From our frame of reference, Gateway fits the bill for us and we think it is quite nice and quite safe for a second home. For someone coming from a small town, it might be a scary place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area