Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 49,451 times

Advertisements

Getting our first taste of trying to deal with Cape Coral codes,permits......UGH
This is ridiculous. We have had windows installed that are able to withstand 300 mph winds.......for over $7000.00.......if there are winds of 300 mph, we won't have a house standing, much less windows. Would like to continue with improvements on our "snowbird" home, but at this rate, probably won't happen if this is the standard for dealing with Cape Coral codes-permits. First time since being in CC that I am wondering if we made a mistake!!!!! If you are considering buying here and have quite a bit of work that needs to be done...........please consider the aggravation, unfairness and cost of having to deal with CC with their codes and permits and inspections. They are red-tape crazy. That's all I have to say about that........for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
This has nothing to do with Cape Coral. It is part of the Florida Building Code.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This has nothing to do with Cape Coral. It is part of the Florida Building Code.
But where it gets sketchy is if you were trying to build above code standards. From my dealings, and others I know, if you build something above min code - they don't know what to do - because their little check off sheet / rules don't specify how deal with it.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM

28 posts, read 49,451 times
Then why does our contractor say that he works in other areas/counties and only CC makes it hard for contractors/builder/homeowners to get something accomplished? And not only him, but other contractors we have dealt with. Give us some insight on how to accomplish a project in a timely, cost saving, quality work manner and I will be glad to listen and learn. But paying for every permit and then getting inspectors that have no more knowledge than I do about construction is crazy. Seemingly, the bottom line is money, money, money. Contractors will be working elsewhere and if a person cannot jump through the hoops to be a DIY'er, then the only thing that can happen is CC neighborhoods is they will fall into greater disrepair.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
I agree ,that like most beauricrats,they are all overwhelmed with a sense of self importance....don't feel bad....it's the same up here in NH
Their job is supposed to be serving the public but they,instead spend most of their time finding obstacles to throw in the path of homeowners and business'.
That said,I am glad that we have zoning laws that prevent homes in CC from looking like the slums in N Ft Myers with trailers,boats,building supplie,RV's and cars on blocks everywhere you look.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg1 View Post
...please consider the aggravation, unfairness and cost of having to deal with CC with their codes and permits and inspections. They are red-tape crazy. That's all I have to say about that........for now!
Sandyd1, I feel your pain. It is the same almost everywhere I have built homes(700+) and developed real estate(1,000s of lots) in Georgia.

I have built and developed in several counties & cities here. The vast majority of planning & zoning department folks, building department folks and code enforcement folks act like little nazis who are presiding over a fiefdom.

It is a rare pleasure to build in one of the municipalities that have common sense building officials that treat their job like a service to the public instead of an opportunity to impose their whims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think the poster was referring to the part that I quoted(for the most part).

As an aside, in Florida do the local building officlas institute code requirements that exceed state and federal codes? They do here in Georgia. Everytime you pull a permit in a new jurisdiction in Georgia you have to learn a new playbook, be it building codes, inspections, erosion control, setbacks, hours you may work, road closure requiremnts, fees, aesthetics, tree ordinances, parking, plans review, ect.
They it really chaps my cheeks when I learn all the new rules and they change them in mid stream. It's hard to hit a moving target.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
It's Florida Building Codes. They've been changing since Andrew, were drastically altered after the 2004 hurricane season and are the strongest in the nation. How a local municipality deals with them is a different story, though. But the OP is saying that Cape Coral is code and permit crazy and I am saying it is the state codes. Trailers over in North Fort Myers - although I agree that mess wouldn't be allowed in Cape Coral - have nothing to do with rebuilding codes. Lee County, Florida is in a hurricane zone. It is different than up north.

Florida Building Codes Home Page

Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg1 View Post
Then why does our contractor say that he works in other areas/counties and only CC makes it hard for contractors/builder/homeowners to get something accomplished? And not only him, but other contractors we have dealt with. Give us some insight on how to accomplish a project in a timely, cost saving, quality work manner and I will be glad to listen and learn. But paying for every permit and then getting inspectors that have no more knowledge than I do about construction is crazy. Seemingly, the bottom line is money, money, money. Contractors will be working elsewhere and if a person cannot jump through the hoops to be a DIY'er, then the only thing that can happen is CC neighborhoods is they will fall into greater disrepair.
I have been in the real estate/construction business my entire life, 95% of the counties, states, cities are just as difficult as Cape Coral. Some contractors have a tougher time, because they have had run ins with the building inspectors or the departments in the past, when this happens the inspector will be super picky about every detail about a job that contractor does, I have been on both sides of the spectrum. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's during the boom, there were a ton of fly by night contractors, builders, etc...(see Chinese drywall for a perfect example). I have over 20 different contractors I work with frequently from a roofer to a plumber to kitchen guys, I have never had any issues with the inspectors in all the years I have been in the area. So my guess is, the contractor most likely did some shady stuff in the past.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,506 times
The thing you have to look at is that none off codes and rules are written to make sense.
The only thing they are designed for is to create revenue for the city.
They have to get lots and lots of the property owners money to feed that monstrosity that is city-hall.
Looked at from that angle it all makes sense.

Most of the people around here have hurricane shutters, so to required them to put in those windows is totally stupid, but that is the city for you.

It's all to feed the greed of the local politicians, cause they can always get more of your money.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
The thing you have to look at is that none off codes and rules are written to make sense.
The only thing they are designed for is to create revenue for the city.
They have to get lots and lots of the property owners money to feed that monstrosity that is city-hall.
Looked at from that angle it all makes sense.

Most of the people around here have hurricane shutters, so to required them to put in those windows is totally stupid, but that is the city for you.

It's all to feed the greed of the local politicians, cause they can always get more of your money.
So the wind codes are so the city can make money? Not because this is a hurricane zone? That's very logical, especially since those codes are created at State and FEMA level, not locally. Most people DO NOT have hurricane shutters, take a drive around and look. If they aren't attached to the home, you essentially have no shutters as far as home owners insurance is concerned. And again Equal shocks with lunacy. Maybe it's the moon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area