Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:56 PM

693 posts, read 2,013,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Does anyone use the internet service with Direct TV?
I have CenturyLink right now. It's reasonably priced and is as fast or faster than Comcast. I download at 2 mbs which is twice as fast as my speeds with Comcast. I have had no reliability issues either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:11 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
I had a 6 month battle with Comcast, whenever i called they said i had the wrong dept then cut me off. They 'werent allowed to call me back!!'
so i started writing, they ignored every letter and sent demand after demand, threat after threat. then when their in house debt collector sent a letter saying i had ignored them I sent a certified reply with every letter I had sent AND also did the same addressed to the President in Philly,

3 days later I got a call 'sorry terrible mistake, debt wiped out'

Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
I have CenturyLink right now. It's reasonably priced and is as fast or faster than Comcast. I download at 2 mbs which is twice as fast as my speeds with Comcast. I have had no reliability issues either.
What?

Comcast's standard internet is 6 Mbps. Even their Economy Plus is 3 Mbps. You must have went in for the cheapo 1.5 Mbps! Heck, if I wanted to I could get 16 Mbps. I'm not a gamer so it doesn't matter much to me, but I could. I pay for 6 megs and I'm getting 5.3 right now. That's off of an aging router that is sitting in another room with 3-inch plaster walls.

And if you're in an area where they've converted to Docsis 3.0 - like down the street from me - then the standard service like mine goes from 6 to 12 megs and upwards to 1,050 Mbps!

Love them or hate them (and you have to pay the darn bill!) they have the best speed in the business. If you aren't getting the right speed, something else is going on.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What?

Comcast's standard internet is 6 Mbps. Even their Economy Plus is 3 Mbps. You must have went in for the cheapo 1.5 Mbps! Heck, if I wanted to I could get 16 Mbps. I'm not a gamer so it doesn't matter much to me, but I could. I pay for 6 megs and I'm getting 5.3 right now. That's off of an aging router that is sitting in another room with 3-inch plaster walls.

And if you're in an area where they've converted to Docsis 3.0 - like down the street from me - then the standard service like mine goes from 6 to 12 megs and upwards to 1,050 Mbps!

Love them or hate them (and you have to pay the darn bill!) they have the best speed in the business. If you aren't getting the right speed, something else is going on.
That's not the same! That speed is the speed at which a website loads. You are NOT going to download files at that speed. There is no place on the planet you are going to download that fast. Hardwired directly into a USB 4.0, you get speeds of about 15 mbs, there is no way you are going to download faster than that through a router wireless or not! Next time you download something click the the more info arrow and you will see with a 6 mbs you will be downloading between at speeds of 500kb and 1mb per second max.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
What?

Also, whoever told you there were speeds of 1000 mbs was smokin' something funny.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Not 1,050 Mbps! 105 Mbps.

1050000 kbps!

Surely, you knew what I meant...

Maybe not.

Told me? I did their tech support for three years. Worked for BellSouth, AT&T and Sony as well.

If you have never heard of Docsis 3.0 or you haven't been keeping up.

And of course I am downloading at speeds of 5.3. Faster actually, with Power Boost.

But with all due respect, if you thought that the most you could get from Comcast was 1 meg then you don't really understand.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Not 1,050 Mbps! 105 Mbps.

1050000 kbps!

Surely, you knew what I meant...

Maybe not.

Told me? I did their tech support for three years. Worked for BellSouth, AT&T and Sony as well.

If you have never heard of Docsis 3.0 or you haven't been keeping up.

And of course I am downloading at speeds of 5.3. Faster actually, with Power Boost.

But with all due respect, if you thought that the most you could get from Comcast was 1 meg then you don't really understand.
I really thought you meant 1050 mbs, I was like wow! haha my bad.

Your speed test download speed is not what you download at. But if you think you are downloading at 5.3 then good for you. When you subscribe to an ISP your line goes to a pole, box, etc and you are sharing that speed with hundreds, if not thousands of other people, for you to achieve download speeds at 90% of the total bandwidth you would essentially have to be the only person on that line directly from Comcast.

Docsis 3.0 is old technology. Docsis 4.0 is in the works, but neither of them can get close to Verizons Fios which can actually achieve speeds of 2.4 gbs w/ GPON. These fiber optics are only available to commercial businesses and government for now. But they are there. I have a masters degree in computer science so you will never convince me otherwise via your experience in the Comcast customer service department.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:28 PM

So you went from thinking that Century Link DSL was giving you greater speeds than Comcast to having a masters degree in computer science?

By the way, DOCSIS, E-line, FIOS and Ethernet in the first mile can achieve high speeds. Docsis 3.0 may have been around awhile but it has only been rolled out in select areas. There is no DOCSIS 4.0. There is EPoC, though.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So you went from thinking that Century Link DSL was giving you greater speeds than Comcast to having a masters degree in computer science?

By the way, DOCSIS, E-line, FIOS and Ethernet in the first mile can achieve high speeds. Docsis 3.0 may have been around awhile but it has only been rolled out in select areas. There is no DOCSIS 4.0. There is EPoC, though.
Had the masters degree long before the Comcast debate or thread was started, hell I had it before Facebook and Twitter ever began. Anyways, dragsters can achieve high speeds in a mile too, doesn't mean we drive them to work every day so we aren't late. There is no technology that can compete with fiber optics. Bottom line is, if you think you are getting those download speeds great. But I am giving people real knowledge and experience. Glad you took the thread over again with your "insider knowledge" gained in a customer service office, when it had absolutely nothing to do with the original question! I'm not gonna go back and forth with you, you think what you want and I will know the truth and everyone remains happy!

Real information pertinent to the thread follows.......With a 10 mbs internet connection you will get ACTUAL download speeds of 1-2 mbs. If you need faster you will not save a bunch of money on bundles. Unless you are downloading Blu-ray movies on an hourly basis, most people do not need internet speeds over 10 mbs. CenturyLink has at least, if not faster speeds as Comcast for comparable packages, they are cheaper, their customer service is better, and their equipment is far more reliable. AT&T is known for terrible customer service for all of their services, the service department is seemingly backed up for weeks, and they are more expensive more often than not.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Is that the prism service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area