Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 19,195 times

Advertisements

I apologize because I know this is going to be long, but I saw that people got angry if you didn't combine your questions, so I'm putting them all in one post.

My family and I are looking to move somewhere on the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Fort Myers. We are planning an exploration trip for the last week of May/1st week of June. I'm hoping some of the local residents can give me some feedback.

We currently live in Lakeland, TN, a suburb of Memphis. My husband is a FedEx pilot and I'm a graphic designer. I have a design business that I run from home with clients all over the US and my husband can commute. So we don't have to find jobs there.

After four years in Memphis I just have had enough. We bought our dream house here, in the "best" school district, but unfortunately you still have to leave the compound and deal with Memphis crime, prejudice and drivers.

For my husband's commute to work we want to be within an 1 1/2 hours of either Fort Myers or Tampa Airports.

We are considering Cape Coral because of the three main areas we are focusing on (Tampa, Sarasota & Cape Coral), Cape Coral seems to be the only one where we could afford a home on a canal.

We realize that we have to downsize. Houses are big and affordable here...I think because no one wants to live here. We live in a 4600 sq ft. 5 bed 4.5 bath house. From what I've seen of Cape Coral, it looks like we will likely get something half the size for the same price.

Schools are a big consideration. Currently my daughter goes to a school that is rated 10 on GreatSchools.org. It's in our neighborhood and has very good parental involvement. She's in 3rd grade and reading on an 8th grade level. This school here has a gifted program called Apex, and I'm hoping for a school there that will also challenge her. I'm concerned about school choice because we have missed the March date and will be stuck with leftovers. I'd love to hear from some people who have kids in the Cape Coral school district and what you think of it. I've been looking on GreatSchools, but I don't really know what to believe. Not that many schools in Cape Coral get rated high.

My daughter is on a competitive soccer team and we heard that Cape Coral has a lot of soccer. Is there a league that is better than others?

I realize I'm moving to Florida, and there are a lot of retirees, but I'd really like to have at least some neighbors that are around my age and kids for my daughter to play with. Is Cape Coral a place that we would fit in? My husband is 40, I'm 37 and my daughter is 9. Nothing against retirees either. I just want some people my age around.

Crime is a big deal. Cape Coral seems to have a low crime rate, and that's another check in it's favor. Tampa really concerns me. I feel safe where I live right now, but not safe when I venture out of my neighborhood. Is my daughter safe to play in her own backyard?

What do you think we should see in Cape Coral while we are visiting? Is there any specific area that we should focus on in Cape Coral? I'm hoping to contact a realtor to at least see a few houses to get a feel for how much we will actually be downsizing even though we aren't going to buy this trip. We will have to buy a cheaper house than we are in currently because my husband will not have as much an opportunity to work his schedule to max his pay while commuting. We will probably not go above $350-400k this time around.

Any input would be appreciated. I am going primarily to look at real estate but I will have a nine year old to keep happy too. Anything fun to do? My grandparents used to live in Fort Myers, and I have fun memories of visiting Sanibel and Captiva.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to be posting similar posts in Sarasota and Tampa too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 PM

10 posts, read 16,606 times
May I ask you where in Lakeland you lived? We are being relocated for my husbands job and have been looking for houses around Collierville, Germantown but I cant find anything new or with any nice size lot. Lakeland seems to have nice newer homes with good size lots. Im not thrilled about moving to Memphis from all of the things I have read it doesnt seem as if people that have been relocated there like it very much. We dont have a choice in the matter so although we are not thrilled about it we will have to make the best of it. I would love some advice or feedback from someone that has lived there and has real experience. You clearly did not like Lakeland - was it Lakeland or was it the Memphis area as a whole you were unhappy with. We have three little girls and I am worried sick this is going to be a nightmare for them to grow up in a place I hear so much negative info about.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 19,195 times
I live in a neighborhood in Lakeland called Oakwood. It's the neighborhood that Lakeland Elementary is located in. I actually like my neighborhood, it's Memphis itself that I didn't enjoy. I sometimes wish I could pick this house up and take it when I move because it was our dream house. I'll never live in anything this nice again... You get a lot for your money here, and the houses are really pretty. Our house is on almost a half acre. I don't know how much land or what size house you are looking at or price range either, but Oakwood is a very popular neighborhood here. I can't tell you how many times people have asked where I live and then told me that they love Oakwood or wish they could live here. There are not many neighborhoods here that have a neighborhood pool and clubhouse either.

We've been here four years and we still feel that we picked the best place to live in Memphis. I think Collierville is nice too, but don't buy anything south of Poplar in Collierville or Germantown. You can be deceived by how nice the house looks. If it's South of Poplar you will not be happy there.

We ended up in Lakeland because for the price we got a new home on a larger lot for the same price as we would have gotten an older home on a smaller lot in Collierville that was in need of updating. My husband and I still feel like we are living in the best place for us in Memphis.

I will help you however I can. I was in your position four years ago. I think Lakeland is nice if you have kids. Depending on your price range, you might want to check out Arlington too. We are still here, getting ready to put our house on the market soon, so let me know if I can help you.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 PM

693 posts, read 2,011,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwideweberdesign View Post
I apologize because I know this is going to be long, but I saw that people got angry if you didn't combine your questions, so I'm putting them all in one post.

My family and I are looking to move somewhere on the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Fort Myers. We are planning an exploration trip for the last week of May/1st week of June. I'm hoping some of the local residents can give me some feedback.

We currently live in Lakeland, TN, a suburb of Memphis. My husband is a FedEx pilot and I'm a graphic designer. I have a design business that I run from home with clients all over the US and my husband can commute. So we don't have to find jobs there.

After four years in Memphis I just have had enough. We bought our dream house here, in the "best" school district, but unfortunately you still have to leave the compound and deal with Memphis crime, prejudice and drivers.

For my husband's commute to work we want to be within an 1 1/2 hours of either Fort Myers or Tampa Airports.

We are considering Cape Coral because of the three main areas we are focusing on (Tampa, Sarasota & Cape Coral), Cape Coral seems to be the only one where we could afford a home on a canal.

We realize that we have to downsize. Houses are big and affordable here...I think because no one wants to live here. We live in a 4600 sq ft. 5 bed 4.5 bath house. From what I've seen of Cape Coral, it looks like we will likely get something half the size for the same price.

Schools are a big consideration. Currently my daughter goes to a school that is rated 10 on GreatSchools.org. It's in our neighborhood and has very good parental involvement. She's in 3rd grade and reading on an 8th grade level. This school here has a gifted program called Apex, and I'm hoping for a school there that will also challenge her. I'm concerned about school choice because we have missed the March date and will be stuck with leftovers. I'd love to hear from some people who have kids in the Cape Coral school district and what you think of it. I've been looking on GreatSchools, but I don't really know what to believe. Not that many schools in Cape Coral get rated high.

My daughter is on a competitive soccer team and we heard that Cape Coral has a lot of soccer. Is there a league that is better than others?

I realize I'm moving to Florida, and there are a lot of retirees, but I'd really like to have at least some neighbors that are around my age and kids for my daughter to play with. Is Cape Coral a place that we would fit in? My husband is 40, I'm 37 and my daughter is 9. Nothing against retirees either. I just want some people my age around.

Crime is a big deal. Cape Coral seems to have a low crime rate, and that's another check in it's favor. Tampa really concerns me. I feel safe where I live right now, but not safe when I venture out of my neighborhood. Is my daughter safe to play in her own backyard?

What do you think we should see in Cape Coral while we are visiting? Is there any specific area that we should focus on in Cape Coral? I'm hoping to contact a realtor to at least see a few houses to get a feel for how much we will actually be downsizing even though we aren't going to buy this trip. We will have to buy a cheaper house than we are in currently because my husband will not have as much an opportunity to work his schedule to max his pay while commuting. We will probably not go above $350-400k this time around.

Any input would be appreciated. I am going primarily to look at real estate but I will have a nine year old to keep happy too. Anything fun to do? My grandparents used to live in Fort Myers, and I have fun memories of visiting Sanibel and Captiva.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to be posting similar posts in Sarasota and Tampa too.
Not sure why anyone would need a 5000 sq ft house for 3 people, but that's another topic. Anyways, your best bet in Cape Coral is going to be a gated community, they seem to have more of the family feel you are looking for. Also private school is going to be the way to go. The public school system here is a joke. Everything there is to do here is based on the outdoors...beaches, kayaking, boating, fishing, walks, etc. If you don't like the outdoors, you will get bored pretty easily. Crime is low, home prices are very reasonable right now and from where I live in the Cape (SE section) I can get to the Ft Myers airport in 25 minutes.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,783,220 times
Id recomend looking st charlotte county also plenty of safe csnal home in punta gorda and port chsrlotte.
45 mins to ft myers airport and 1 1/2 to tampa.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 AM

48,100 posts, read 21,985,223 times
We have been house hunting in Ft Myers and are impressed with some of the gated communities....your price range will buy a really beautiful house with a pool.....from what I have seen you wont have any trouble finding a house. We are retired so I don't know any thing about schools.....or social oppurtunity for younger families. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area