Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
hi, i just finished pharmacy school and passed my florida license exam.

does anyone know of a good go-kart track that is hiring in the area?
No, but I hear there will be an opening in a liquor store in Springfield, MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
hi, i just finished pharmacy school and passed my florida license exam.

does anyone know of a good go-kart track that is hiring in the area?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,859 times
In response to Equal, you are right. Considering my career goals, I choose a poor educational path and should have gone in a business oriented direction. I am not opposed to working within my field, however, history related jobs are not very common. Furthermore, I decided on the career path I am most interested in (the alcohol industry) midway through graduate school. By then, I had invested a great deal of time and money on my degree. I am do not quit things easily and still believe my MA degree holds a great deal of value (regardless of its lack of immediate marketability). as it took a great deal of time, money, discipline and effort to complete. I also have no interest in simply taking a low level job from people that need it. In fact, I will feel really bad if that turns out to be the case. I simply believe in working hard and feel there is no shame in being on the bottom rungs of an organization. I also do not plan on being in such a position for a long time either. I do have a great deal of ambition and do not currently nor do I plan to simply sit around, party and so on(which I understand, my previous wording may have implied).
Earning an MA in history is more than simply learning names and dates, I believe I learned a versitile and important set of skills such as research and communication (most of my graduate eduction consisted of writing papers and giving presentations). I also believe my graduate education instilled an academic discipline that will carry over to whatever aspect of life, I desire. One such example of this is my efforts within the beer world. Since choosing to work in the alcohol industry, I have immersed myself in the beer world. I work at one of the best wine/beer retailers in the country (The Brown Derby International Wine Center Brown Derby International Wine Center), I have read and am continuing to read books on the subject. I am a certified beer server and plan to become a certified cicerone. I am also a home brewer and run the blog Worst Beer Blog EverWorst Beer Blog Ever | Just a Little Better than Your Kid's Beer Blog. I believe all of these projects I am working on are aided by my education. So yes, my career goals may not directly correlate to my education but I still earned an advanced degree and have a great deal to offer a company. I thank everyone for the advice and apologize for getting off topic and ranting (it is late and I further apologize if this post is confusing and long winded). I just saw these forums and thought I would inquire about the job market. I am open to working in nearly any field that I qualify for, the alcohol industry is merely my primary choice due to my experience and interest (the beer world is changing dramatically, it is really very exciting!). From what I have read on these boards, multiple visits to the area and heard from word of mouth (my sister lives in Fort Myers), I look forward to moving into the area. Thanks again for all the responses.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I understand where you are coming from and your situation is pretty typical. I work with a young woman in sales but she has her masters degree in sports management. It happens.

What I don't understand is why you haven't taken this education and your good common sense and figured out what the unemployment rate is for the area and what is is where you live now. I do it all the time for people on here. Suffice to say it is very high in Southwest Florida. The economy is based on penny-pinching retirees and tourists.

I also don't understand why you have not researched what employment opportunities are in the area, such as retail, and more importantly, distribution centers or headquarters. It's pretty darn easy to do.

It just seems that this forum was an odd place to start. It's not a terrible starting point but there is enormous information on here, as well. Do a search. You'll see the countless posts I've made as well as others.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerBaron View Post
My girlfriend and I have both recently earned Master of Arts in non-US history degrees from Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri.

Y'all are members of Occupy Springfield, aren't you?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 PM

29 posts, read 57,481 times
Aside from all the comedy here, the economy is mainly geared toward tourism and the building/construction industry in this area. There are however other opportunities for young professionals. Chico's is a large company that is headquartered here. There is a new VA Hospital opening soon. As far as the liquor industry, check out Southern Wine and Spirits. They are a large distributor and have reps all over the area. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbirch1 View Post
Aside from all the comedy here, the economy is mainly geared toward tourism and the building/construction industry in this area. There are however other opportunities for young professionals. Chico's is a large company that is headquartered here. There is a new VA Hospital opening soon. As far as the liquor industry, check out Southern Wine and Spirits. They are a large distributor and have reps all over the area. Good luck!
Can you tell me where the new VA hospital is opening & when? Thanks

Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 PM

646 posts, read 1,641,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssonomeshell View Post
Lee County VA Healthcare Center - Bay Pines VA Healthcare System

by the end of this year it should be open!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
I am curious what is north lee, above CC like?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssonomeshell View Post
They will be in there in right months, heard them talking about it today while I was at the FT Myers VA outp. clinic
They took possession of the building and it will take that long to get everything set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area