Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM

97 posts, read 202,339 times

Advertisements

My husband thinks he should go on his own with his brother to shop for a house for their mom/sister in Cape Coral the week of Aug. 18 .. says the weather is iffy then, and we could spend the money on a vaca in Michigan another week instead for the 3 of us.

So, what is the average weather that time of year (besides hot)?

and do airlines normally have fare sales in summer?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 AM

616 posts, read 1,561,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooks View Post
My husband thinks he should go on his own with his brother to shop for a house for their mom/sister in Cape Coral the week of Aug. 18 .. says the weather is iffy then, and we could spend the money on a vaca in Michigan another week instead for the 3 of us.

So, what is the average weather that time of year (besides hot)?

and do airlines normally have fare sales in summer?

Thanks
Average Precipitation is about 10 inches of rain. Most of that comes in the form of afternoon showers that start about 3 to 4pm and last about an hour or so.

Really can't change the weather no matter when you go. If you want less chance of rain - Nov through March, but that's tourist season.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,521,052 times
Temps in the mid 90's. Rain or thunder shower in the afternoons are normal, but don't last long. We rarely have all day rainy days, only if there is a front coming through or remnants of a hurricane. Most airlines don't offer discounts in the summer. Summer is still a time when a lot of northerners take family vacations to Florida, especially Orlando and Tampa. Snowbirds come in the winter and families come in the summer. However, you may find some local establishments such as restaurants that will offer discounts in the summer, because we definitely have less people around in the summer. There will be less competition for home buying in August too.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Glaab View Post
Weather is typically in the mid 90s in August, afternoon thunderstorms and mid 70s at night. Humidity is usually very high in the 80 percent range in the summer. From what I hear, it's hotter up north right now!
Nope. It's all about the dew point and Southwest Florida will beat the rest of the country in spades with dew point. So no matter the temperature, add in the dew point and it will always, always, always feel hotter. Plus, in Southwest Florida it will feel endless because it lasts for months.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 PM

260 posts, read 561,644 times
It's going to be hot, with a chance of hotter in August. You can bet that it will rain almost everyday around 3 pm for about an hour, then the humidity really cranks up.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,042 times
It has been hotter up North this summer, than it has been here. August is no different than July-IMO. It is about the same all summer, humid 90+ and afternoon showers. What you will be most concerned with is tropical storms or hurricanes. It may cause for delay in flight, you may loose power at your hotel or you may end up having a rainy stay.

As for house hunting, August is a great time to do that! Our real estate peak season is winter-when our population grows from all the snowbirds So you will have more inventory at your fingertips in Aug vs winter when it is sunny/70's.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,077,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
It has been hotter up North this summer, than it has been here. August is no different than July-IMO. It is about the same all summer, humid 90+ and afternoon showers. What you will be most concerned with is tropical storms or hurricanes. It may cause for delay in flight, you may loose power at your hotel or you may end up having a rainy stay.

As for house hunting, August is a great time to do that! Our real estate peak season is winter-when our population grows from all the snowbirds So you will have more inventory at your fingertips in Aug vs winter when it is sunny/70's.

Where did you switch offices?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,028,360 times
My family and I just returned from a 10 day Florida family visit on Saturday, and we were greeted with a 95 degree summer day in Pittsburgh. Of course, we had the A/C on for the next 48 hours.... when the temps were in the 90's/ lows in the mid-70's, high humidity, and an unusually high dew point for this region. Today, we turned off the A/C, opened the windows, and spent a considerable amount of the day outdoors. I do not anticipate needing to turn

During the summer months in Florida, where August is generally the hottest month, the A/C will never be off in the majority of the homes, nor within the indoor businesses throughout the state. Most would concur that unless forced to work outside (or are tourists), most Floridians spend the largest portions of their August days indoors/ in the A/C. This is much like a bitter cold day in the northern winters, in reverse, why go outside when conditions are so uncomfortable? Most Florida swimming pools are not very refreshing, either, unless one is able to "cool off" in water temperatures that are minimally 85 degrees from the sun's heat.

Florida can be a great place to vacation, but so can Michigan, as long as you can make the best of the prevailing weather/ climate.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,008,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
My family and I just returned from a 10 day Florida family visit on Saturday, and we were greeted with a 95 degree summer day in Pittsburgh. Of course, we had the A/C on for the next 48 hours.... when the temps were in the 90's/ lows in the mid-70's, high humidity, and an unusually high dew point for this region. Today, we turned off the A/C, opened the windows, and spent a considerable amount of the day outdoors. I do not anticipate needing to turn

During the summer months in Florida, where August is generally the hottest month, the A/C will never be off in the majority of the homes, nor within the indoor businesses throughout the state. Most would concur that unless forced to work outside (or are tourists), most Floridians spend the largest portions of their August days indoors/ in the A/C. This is much like a bitter cold day in the northern winters, in reverse, why go outside when conditions are so uncomfortable? Most Florida swimming pools are not very refreshing, either, unless one is able to "cool off" in water temperatures that are minimally 85 degrees from the sun's heat.

Florida can be a great place to vacation, but so can Michigan, as long as you can make the best of the prevailing weather/ climate.
I, as well as many people I know spend a pretty fair amount of time outside, at the beaches, and/or around the pool all summer long. The pool water might be 90 degrees, but it is refreshing, especially if you are acclimated to the weather here, anything less than 85 is downright cold. Body temp is 98.6, so even 90 degree water feels cool since water removes heat 25 times faster than air. It is also NOTHING like bitter cold days in the North! Michigan may be a nice place to vacation as long as you visit in the 2 months a year where the weather is fairly reasonable!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Nope. It's all about the dew point and Southwest Florida will beat the rest of the country in spades with dew point. So no matter the temperature, add in the dew point and it will always, always, always feel hotter. Plus, in Southwest Florida it will feel endless because it lasts for months.
I'm from South Carolina and can promise you the summers there are much hotter than they are here!

I don't think people stay indoors all the time. There are always people at my pool, or on the beach, or riding bikes, etc. What you don't see are the tennis courts full from 11-4!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area