Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 31,138 times

Advertisements

Hoping to get Cape Coral located on the city threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 03:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,154,501 times
Tell us about Cape Coral...

Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
There are a ton of older posts about Cape Coral. Unfortunately, most of the info posted about Cape Coral is true ): Hopefully one day the city will find a way to rebound.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
There are a ton of older posts about Cape Coral. Unfortunately, most of the info posted about Cape Coral is true ): Hopefully one day the city will find a way to rebound.
I don't see a rebound anytime soon.

NBC2 News Online - Family catches kids doing drugs inside rental home (http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=14847&z=3&p= - broken link)

Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 AM

93 posts, read 284,243 times
Cape Coral and Lehigh are not good areas to live anymore.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 PM

17 posts, read 112,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove2 View Post
Cape Coral and Lehigh are not good areas to live anymore.
Absolutely correct they are not for many reasons. If we can get the city councle out of developers pockets and police who are tired of the excuse machine then things could change.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:15 AM

611 posts, read 1,990,761 times
[quote=NBC]"I saw two kids jump the fence. We didn't know whether they were living in the house or destroying the house or what was going on," said Humphreys.

But Michael Humphreys and his son weren't going to let the teens get away.

"I jumped over the first fence, fell landed on my butt had to get back up jumped another fence and that's when I caught up to him. I grabbed him by the neck and said come with me," said the younger Humphreys.

His father was chasing one of the other suspects in the family car.

"I pulled up alongside and he's trying not to breathe heavy and I knew exactly what he was doing," said Humphreys.

Police eventually showed up and were able to identify they two teens as Alberto Pierret and Grant Kish
Inside the home, officers also found two bags of marijuana, a bong, a bottle of Visine, a lighter, an I-Pod and several school books.".[quote]

Oh my God! An I-Pod. Those delinquents should do some hard time for that. I'm 46 and when I was a teen I had a bong, pot and visine. I did OK. If this was a big crime in Cape Coral then I'd say it's a pretty safe place.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 AM

What is good about Cape Coral? Has to be something good about the location

Old 12-01-2007, 07:22 AM

91 posts, read 336,870 times
Talking Cape Coral - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - IMO

First thing to say is I am not an authority on the Cape, having only lived here about a year and a half. But such changes have happened in that short time!

The bad is that the economy, nationwide, has fallen apart. Hitting this area pretty hard. Before I moved here, this area was 2nd only to Tampa as one of the best places to live because of the growth and all the amenities, etc. Crime is up and rising, mostly grow houses, drug related crime and some of the kids in the area having weapons and using them on each other and others. Home invasions. You get the picture.
The tax structure here is pretty high and depending where you buy, if you buy, there will be a significant utility impact fee that needs to be paid, upfront, not to mention the insurance costs. Also, water pollution is a rising problem, too.

The ugly is that there isn't 1 block that doesn't have a For Sale or For Rent sign on it. Boarded up houses and overgrown along with vacant lots with trash on them. The city does try to keep these mowed and picked up but it's an uphill battle. New construction abandoned.

The good...and I saved this for last, is because there is still more of that than the bad and the ugly.

Like I said above, water pollution is rising, but the beaches are still beautiful. If you move here, you should definitely rent for awhile. Plan on having alot of money coming in. Everything is pretty pricey here and good jobs are few and with those, the pay scale isn't realistic to the economy here. There is alot of diversity here, so it's a blend of people from all over, so it's interesting. Folks who have lived here for along time or are native here, are grumpy with the growth, however, for the folks I have met, have been very friendly and tell me how things used to be and share the places that still have that southern charm, I came down here for. There are still unspoiled places to be found along with the friendly people that go with that. I think alot of people who have moved in do bring their traditions or way of life with them, which can be a good thing and a bad thing, too. The food is good here, too. At least I think so Ofcourse, the tropical foliage and weather is the top of the list of really good things. New business and chains are still coming in, so that is a good sign. Most people really take care of their homes and property. There is something for everyone, you just have to look for it. There isn't a whole lot for teenagers, unfortunately, other than sport stuff and skate parks and Sun Splash which is seasonal or the beaches. If kids aren't into any of that, there isn't much else.

Overall, if you like a quiet life with low key, laid back places to go. Boating, golfing and beaches, this is a decent place. The caveat is that there is transition going on and until the dust settles, in what direction this place takes will determine if this will be the place it was meant to be. Personally, I am keeping an open mind and trying to be optimistic. Time will tell.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie8689 View Post
First thing to say is I am not an authority on the Cape, having only lived here about a year and a half. But such changes have happened in that short time!

The bad is that the economy, nationwide, has fallen apart. Hitting this area pretty hard. Before I moved here, this area was 2nd only to Tampa as one of the best places to live because of the growth and all the amenities, etc. Crime is up and rising, mostly grow houses, drug related crime and some of the kids in the area having weapons and using them on each other and others. Home invasions. You get the picture.
The tax structure here is pretty high and depending where you buy, if you buy, there will be a significant utility impact fee that needs to be paid, upfront, not to mention the insurance costs. Also, water pollution is a rising problem, too.

The ugly is that there isn't 1 block that doesn't have a For Sale or For Rent sign on it. Boarded up houses and overgrown along with vacant lots with trash on them. The city does try to keep these mowed and picked up but it's an uphill battle. New construction abandoned.

The good...and I saved this for last, is because there is still more of that than the bad and the ugly.

Like I said above, water pollution is rising, but the beaches are still beautiful. If you move here, you should definitely rent for awhile. Plan on having alot of money coming in. Everything is pretty pricey here and good jobs are few and with those, the pay scale isn't realistic to the economy here. There is alot of diversity here, so it's a blend of people from all over, so it's interesting. Folks who have lived here for along time or are native here, are grumpy with the growth, however, for the folks I have met, have been very friendly and tell me how things used to be and share the places that still have that southern charm, I came down here for. There are still unspoiled places to be found along with the friendly people that go with that. I think alot of people who have moved in do bring their traditions or way of life with them, which can be a good thing and a bad thing, too. The food is good here, too. At least I think so Ofcourse, the tropical foliage and weather is the top of the list of really good things. New business and chains are still coming in, so that is a good sign. Most people really take care of their homes and property. There is something for everyone, you just have to look for it. There isn't a whole lot for teenagers, unfortunately, other than sport stuff and skate parks and Sun Splash which is seasonal or the beaches. If kids aren't into any of that, there isn't much else.

Overall, if you like a quiet life with low key, laid back places to go. Boating, golfing and beaches, this is a decent place. The caveat is that there is transition going on and until the dust settles, in what direction this place takes will determine if this will be the place it was meant to be. Personally, I am keeping an open mind and trying to be optimistic. Time will tell.
Sounds like most of the state or the rest of the nation. Thank you for your descriptive update. Hope that many more members will provide information as descriptive without the use of rude or inappropriate language.

Again Thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area