Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
mbirch1,you've got me thinking about shrimp.....I don't know about Doc Ford's but I'm wondering if all of the local restaurants are using real gulf shrimp.The Asian farm raised shrimp are half the price and are loaded with antibiotics,veterinary drugs and other crap to keep them alive in those nasty swamps.
These are the shrimp you see in Walmart,Costco,etc etc .
Same with tilapia.....that's some nasty stuff.....google up "filthy shrimp farms" or 'tilapia+sewerage" and you'll get an eye full.
Sorry to gross you out but being in the business,I have researched fish farming because I don't want to sell that toxic crap.
There are exceptions......USA shrimp and catfish farms are fine.All tested by USDA.Also,salmon farms are pretty much ok because they are raided in pens in the ocean rather than stagnant ponds and the water remains pretty clean.
Sorry if I hijacked this thread
I only shop USA fish so I know what you mean. Being New Englanders we really know our seafood and I think you and I have "talked" about this over the years. I hope like heck that the local restaurants are using local seafood. Of course after the BP spill and the subsequent use of corexit, or whatever that was called, I shy away from gulf seafood as well. That occured quite aways away but...

I try to stick to North Carolina shrimp now. I wouldn't touch Asian or even Chilean seafood but it is safe to stick to USA. As you said, there are shrimp farms here that are fine. In fact, there is a mom and pop shrimp farm up here in Tenn. that has a very good product.

Oh, and congrats harleygirl. Great info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM

43 posts, read 127,299 times
I see the word catfish. Where do I go for that?

And thanks to all that have contributed to this.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 PM

165 posts, read 292,069 times
Here is some updated information for you all on the shrimp and fish in the area. Old Fish house and Barnhills serves ONLY fresh USA fish. The Oysters right now are coming out of Galveston Bay Texas. Shrimp are local caught so are the Pine Island Clams and the Blue Crabs. Crabs are runnin small this summer due to the warmer winter we had. The boat that is docked at the fish house is called MAJIC he is bringing in about 18k pounds of Grouper black and red every other week. My husband doesn't like flat fish, but can't get enough of it. The market there is running well with Snapper to die for gotta check it out. Very laid back place, where all the locals go. Grab a beer from the cooler in the store order your food at the window and sit back and enjoy. Nothing fancy but hey this is Florida.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 AM

29 posts, read 57,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I only shop USA fish so I know what you mean. Being New Englanders we really know our seafood and I think you and I have "talked" about this over the years. I hope like heck that the local restaurants are using local seafood. Of course after the BP spill and the subsequent use of corexit, or whatever that was called, I shy away from gulf seafood as well. That occured quite aways away but...

I try to stick to North Carolina shrimp now. I wouldn't touch Asian or even Chilean seafood but it is safe to stick to USA. As you said, there are shrimp farms here that are fine. In fact, there is a mom and pop shrimp farm up here in Tenn. that has a very good product.

Oh, and congrats harleygirl. Great info!
I am sure that many of the local restaurants use local seafood and some don't. Having lived in Florida most of my life, I can tell the difference. Gulf Shrimp just tastes better than most others. And I say that having lived on the east coast of Florida for many years before I moved to the gulf side. But I would always ask them if they are using local fish/shrimp. If Doc Ford's isn't, I would be surprised. They are within sight of the entire shrimp fleet out of Ft. Myers Beach.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadci View Post
I see the word catfish. Where do I go for that?

And thanks to all that have contributed to this.
Try Sandy Hook in Matlacha, had it the other day and it was perfection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area