U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 AM

9 posts, read 16,821 times

Advertisements

Good morning! Long time lurker, first time poster. We reside in Tennessee and are currently in a contract for a short sale home in SW Cape Coral, and hope to close on 6/29. We are having issues with getting the home inspection since the current owner stopped paying his utilities and they were shut off. That's another story.

Our realtor went to the house to make sure the power and water were back on for the inspection, and found a note on the door about a fine for not keeping up the yard. When I asked what fees, fines, and assessments would follow the property rather than the owner, she said this fine would be our responsibility.

Now, my question: How often will the property be fined? Every day? Every week? We can't close until the 29th, and we won't be able to really work on the yard until the middle of July. I have no idea how much the fine is, and we would rather not face thousands in fines, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any insight you knowledgable folks can provide!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM

340 posts, read 932,911 times
I think the Cape will post and fine if your grass is over 12-18" high ( this was many years ago) , so I am not sure of their policies now. You may want to call someone over at City hall and let them know your situation. Years ago they used to cut the grass for those out of town landowners ( there were a lot of them ) then assess your tax bill with the cutting costs.
I had a friend who lived in the Cape and he told me that was the way it went . I am sure with staffing cuts things may have been changed .

Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM

693 posts, read 1,810,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm1018 View Post
Good morning! Long time lurker, first time poster. We reside in Tennessee and are currently in a contract for a short sale home in SW Cape Coral, and hope to close on 6/29. We are having issues with getting the home inspection since the current owner stopped paying his utilities and they were shut off. That's another story.

Our realtor went to the house to make sure the power and water were back on for the inspection, and found a note on the door about a fine for not keeping up the yard. When I asked what fees, fines, and assessments would follow the property rather than the owner, she said this fine would be our responsibility.

Now, my question: How often will the property be fined? Every day? Every week? We can't close until the 29th, and we won't be able to really work on the yard until the middle of July. I have no idea how much the fine is, and we would rather not face thousands in fines, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any insight you knowledgable folks can provide!
They can start fining at 12 inches. Usually they send you a warning to cut the grass by a date, if you do not, they fine you. They will then fine you every time code enforcement notices your grass not cut. You might be able to get out of one or two of the fines with your situation, but at some point they will not cut you any slack. If you are pretty certain you getting house I would call a lawn company and just have them cut it until you get here. The fines are $100 and I believe they double each week, not positive on either of those, just what I hear. It would only cost you $60 or so for a month of cutting, you do the math. Any fines or fees placed on the property by the town stick with the property. About 8 years ago I heard a story of a guy refusing to move his boat, so they continually fined him for about a year, something to the tune of $10,000 or something crazy. Eventually the town foreclosed on his house. This is just a story I heard from someone, so it may be all fluff, just letting you know.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

That could really add up in a month. I will see if our realtor can get it done for us. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,474,208 times
Also,make sure the A/C is working so that you don't have any mold issues,

Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,052,350 times
Here we go again with bogus information.
Not having the AC running does not cause mold issues. AC can be the cause of mold issues.
this has been posted many times now yet there are still individuals spreading bilge.
Get the information on mold issues by searching the internet to get correct information,
Do not assume that individuals on this board know what they are talking about. You could waste a lot of money for absolutely nothing

Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,470,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Here we go again with bogus information.
Not having the AC running does not cause mold issues. AC can be the cause of mold issues.
this has been posted many times now yet there are still individuals spreading bilge.
Get the information on mold issues by searching the internet to get correct information,
Do not assume that individuals on this board know what they are talking about. You could waste a lot of money for absolutely nothing
I doubt if many vacant, foreclosed homes have all the windows open.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM

646 posts, read 1,495,551 times
I would reread your contract. The seller is obligated to keep up with the lawn/maintenance until closing, or they are out of contract. That goes for a reg. seller or a foreclosure-unless there was an additional addendum stating otherwise.

I had this happen before and I told them: "NO SIR. You keep the grass cut, pay the fines and then we will close."

The seller should be held accountable.

Ask your agent. They know what you have signed....etc.

Good luck! That is Bologna!!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:24 AM

CCRESI, You are correct! I spoke to my agent again, and the fines stay with the seller. I must have misunderstood when we initially talked about it. That's quite a relief.

I feel so bad for the neighbors. Their houses and yards are beautifully maintained and our diamond in the rough has to be driving down property values. They'll just have to hang in there a little longer.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 AM

646 posts, read 1,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsm1018 View Post
CCRESI, You are correct! I spoke to my agent again, and the fines stay with the seller. I must have misunderstood when we initially talked about it. That's quite a relief.

I feel so bad for the neighbors. Their houses and yards are beautifully maintained and our diamond in the rough has to be driving down property values. They'll just have to hang in there a little longer.
Good. The fines should be paid at closing by the seller so you will have clear and marketable title.

Good luck with closing next week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area