Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM

15 posts, read 55,165 times

Advertisements

I bought a live bait trap hoping to catch some bait fish. Baited it with cut mullet. I live on a salt water canal. The trap has been in the water for three days now and not a single bait fish. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,011,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtausnret View Post
I bought a live bait trap hoping to catch some bait fish. Baited it with cut mullet. I live on a salt water canal. The trap has been in the water for three days now and not a single bait fish. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Ron
Chances are not good of catching bait fish with those traps, you might get one or two pin fish every now and then, but that's about it. Best bet is a cast net. Sorry.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Chances are not good of catching bait fish with those traps, you might get one or two pin fish every now and then, but that's about it. Best bet is a cast net. Sorry.
Do you chum them with anything? Can one use a bait cast net in a canal in Cape Coral?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Do you chum them with anything? Can one use a bait cast net in a canal in Cape Coral?
You can try chumming. You can cast net them if you see them. I have only tried cast netting in my canal a few times and came up fairly empty. The canals hold bait, but most of them are hiding along the seawalls and not schooled up. Your best bet are the beaches and flats if you have a boat. If want to just catch a handful of pinfish, get the smallest hook you can find, and use tiny pieces of shrimp and catch them one at a time. This is time consuming and takes some practice. I can usually catch a dozen smaller pinfish in about a half hour doing it this way, at a buck a piece at the bait shop, it's definitely worth it. You will probably catch some baby snapper, snook, redfish, or sheepshead too, so make sure you throw them back in there.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM

260 posts, read 562,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Agreed, buy a cast net, practice throwing it and you will have all the bait you will ever need.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
Agreed, buy a cast net, practice throwing it and you will have all the bait you will ever need.
I have a bait cast net BUT was told it is not legal to cast nets in Cape Coral canals. Is this true? Thanks, Ron

Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,589 times
Quote:
I have a bait cast net BUT was told it is not legal to cast nets in Cape Coral canals. Is this true? Thanks, Ron
I have seen signs prohibiting it from certain bridges, but if it is not in the city ordinances it is legal. I think Dave on the SWFL fishing forum answered your question. Iamhooked

Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I have seen signs prohibiting it from certain bridges, but if it is not in the city ordinances it is legal. I think Dave on the SWFL fishing forum answered your question. Iamhooked
Yes, thanks... got your message and looking forward... will try with the cast net

Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,802 times
Quote:
Yes, thanks... got your message and looking forward... will try with the cast net
See, who says you can't get bait fish with the inter net.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It's only illegal if there is a sign prohibiting it. Most bridges and all piers are pretty much off limits. But that doesn't stop people. Go out to the yacht club pier any day of the week and chances are there is someone cast netting bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area