Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 PM

101 posts, read 272,214 times

Advertisements

oh also, it's a bit of a drive but you can go south and hit the everglades and check out the Indian Reservation. Indian Village - Miccosukee | Tribe of Indians of Florida

or east to Billie Swamp- Seminole Tribe of Florida: Billie Swamp Safari
or the Seminole Reservation- Seminole Tribe of Florida Museum|Ah-Tah-Thi-Ki Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomof2 View Post
I have been to blind pass, bowmans beach and we just stayed at a hotel on Sanibel over the 4th-and we have driven to Captiva but never went much past the mucky duck. I have also checked out the lighthouse and stopped several times along the causeway when we took the dogs to play. It's ok but to me it isn't worth it. My neighbor just loves Sanibel and goes a couple of times a week, but I can take it or leave it. My favorite beach so far is Wiggins Pass I like the ease of parking, the picnic tables in the trees along the beach, just kind of neat.

Yes fishing is amazing at blind pass DH tries his luck every so often there, but when I've been there walking the beach the shells were nothing too amazing. Lots of shells yes, but nothing that I haven't seen or could find elsewhere.

I guess I also get antsy driving up Periwinkle going so slow and not having much to look at other than shrubs. It was more fun when we stayed there and biked around but for the price of the room....Captiva was much prettier driving along the road seeing the coast line and all the beautiful homes.
There's also Gulf City Park Beach, Tarpon Bay Beach, and West Gulf Beach. All of the beaches on Sanibel have picnic tables as well. In my opinion it is worth the drive, and try to get out there at least once a week, but to each there own I guess. The beaches are enormous, so you never feel crowded, if you do, just walk down a little further. To find the better shells you gotta be on the beach as the tide goes out.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I'd take the "Ding" Darling Nature Reserve over the Billie Bob Swamp Safari any day, but as Billy says, to each their own. Maybe growing up where sedate places like the Vineyard, Kennebunkport or Bermuda were fabulous getaways I prefer the shabby chic of Sanibel and Captiva. Kayaking at Koreshan is nice, though, as is the other beaches that HSMom mentioned. They aren't tacky but if asked I would still prefer the islands.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'd take the "Ding" Darling Nature Reserve over the Billie Bob Swamp Safari any day, but as Billy says, to each their own. Maybe growing up where sedate places like the Vineyard, Kennebunkport or Bermuda were fabulous getaways I prefer the shabby chic of Sanibel and Captiva. Kayaking at Koreshan is nice, though, as is the other beaches that HSMom mentioned. They aren't tacky but if asked I would still prefer the islands.
Ding Darling is really a cool place, especially for kids. The touch tank and boat ride is actually a good time for all!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM

397 posts, read 813,452 times
Go to Everglades City for an air boat ride. Everyone will love it. Kids and parents.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:52 PM

964 posts, read 2,063,839 times
You wouldn't waste your time going to Sanibel?! I'm not sure those words were ever spoken before. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomof2 View Post
I agree Lovers Key is nice, also try Wiggins Pass in Naples its very nice and shady so if you want to get out of the sun there are a lot of trees and shady areas. I wouldn't waste my time going to sanibel- I don't quite get the big deal- its ok, not easy to park unless you are staying at one of the hotels and the beach is a beach. Bonita beach, lovers key and Wiggins pass is beautiful too and much closer. Not sure the ages of your kids, but Zoomers just opened in FM they have go carts and some rides, there are also several mini golf places, one right on Bonita beach road which might be closer to you. There is also the Naples Zoo, and a kids museum in Naples that is suppose to be nice. If they are older and can kayak Koreshan state park is nice and you can rent kayaks and roam around the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area