Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:58 PM

205 posts, read 421,921 times

Advertisements

I don't mean for this to sound negative, its not meant to be that way. I just want to say that I like the North West part of the Cape best, there are some very nice homes there.

There is only one thing I have trouble with, when I think of buying and living in a house there on the N.W Cape. I think about walking out the front door of a house I just bought there and across the street is a flat field with nothing growing on it.

Then when I look to the right and to the left all I see is a flat dry field. The next home I see is way down the end of the street. I now start to feel like I'm in the middle of some land that was once a farm and there is nothing growing there anymore because all of this land was sold to developers and they are not going to grow anything,they bought this land to build houses on.

I start to then think about all the many acres of wasted land that they could grow Palm Tree on or Mango trees. I can't believe the land can't be used for something useful.

Does anyone else get the farm field feeling too

Last edited by easytim; 08-23-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM

260 posts, read 563,100 times
God forbid any trees, survive in Cape Coral. I think that's what makes cape coral unattractive.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
God forbid any trees, survive in Cape Coral. I think that's what makes cape coral unattractive.
Might not be many trees in the North part of the city, but in my neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods trees are in abundance.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
it is the lesser of two evils. the city cuts all the vacant lots so no trees are able to grow. buy be being bare unattended keeps brush fires to a minimum , it keeps critters like snakes, insects, and wild boar from getting out of control. It makes it a lot easier when they do decide to bring utilities to the area, phone line and electrical line maintainence. If someone did decide to build it also makes it a lot easier instead of dropping trees on small lots if there were houses surrounding them.

when someone buys a property they will landscape and don't forget just 40 yrs ago all of cape coral looked that way. in time the nw will look remarkably like the sw.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:51 AM

297 posts, read 509,511 times
I guess it depends on your perspective. I would rather see flat land with a few trees around and some dirt, than my neighbors side window.
If you dont want the wide open spaces their are plenty of places in the Cape where you can go for blocks and not see any lots or undeveloped land. The SW and SE Cape are like that in most places.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I think you'd be interested in the history of Cape Coral, Tim. Here's some reading for you.

Cape Coral History

Homesteaders

Most of Cape Coral was wild and desolate by the time the Rosen brothers stepped in to develop it. There weren't neat little farms there. In fact, by 1957 it was mostly a bug-infested wasteland. The Rosen Brothers bulldozed Cape Coral and created a mind-boggling amount of canals that now frustrate delivery people. Cape Coral is huge. Even during the boom, they didn't come close to developing it all. The sure tried, though! To expect the government to go out there and plant trees is frivilous. Not that I think you do, Tim. Maybe you can start some sort of Arbor Day project? It's a thought!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe you can start some sort of Arbor Day project? It's a thought!
Someone beat you to it Hik.
Cape Coral volunteers plant hundreds of trees over the weekend | CapeCoral.com

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytim View Post
I don't mean for this to sound negative, its not meant to be that way. I just want to say that I like the North West part of the Cape best, there are some very nice homes there.

There is only one thing I have trouble with, when I think of buying and living in a house there on the N.W Cape. I think about walking out the front door of a house I just bought there and across the street is a flat field with nothing growing on it.

Then when I look to the right and to the left all I see is a flat dry field. The next home I see is way down the end of the street. I now start to feel like I'm in the middle of some land that was once a farm and there is nothing growing there anymore because all of this land was sold to developers and they are not going to grow anything,they bought this land to build houses on.

I start to then think about all the many acres of wasted land that they could grow Palm Tree on or Mango trees. I can't believe the land can't be used for something useful.

Does anyone else get the farm field feeling too
clear cutting is the favored thing around here. the lack of tree's and bushes is a major cause for wind damage in a storm and it also contributes to the low level of moisture in the soil around here. two days after it rains all the moisture is baked out of the ground.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM

196 posts, read 504,518 times
Isn't there a place on Sanibel that offers indigious plants for free to plant? I would go,,and Plant on that ugly land across the street, change your veiw! Just a thought~

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
clear cutting is the favored thing around here. the lack of tree's and bushes is a major cause for wind damage in a storm and it also contributes to the low level of moisture in the soil around here. two days after it rains all the moisture is baked out of the ground.
The lack of trees and bushes happens in areas where there are very few homes. People who buy in this area must now the added potential for damage due to the lack of wind breakers. As the areas get built up the homeowners will most definitely add many trees, bushes, etc. Again, this is a problem in the North Cape, none of this stuff is really true below Pine Island Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area