Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
You may want to bring one warm outfit. Our first cool front of the year usually arrives in late October or early November. It probably won't but one pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt wouldn't hurt.
BTW: Where in the Adirondaks do you live? I grew up in a small town called Broadalbin on the Great Sacandaga. I've lived on Pine Island for 10 years now.
Have a great visit.
Man... I miss that area! When I was in Ohio, I would go up to the Russian Boy/ Girl Scout Camp right by there every Memorial Day Weekend. Would hit the Igo Inn before heading in country for the weekend. We would also scare the local Northville population with our caravan into town - We did a survival training weekend for our martial arts club up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York TomKat View Post
The weather reality is we're more likely to have snow here before Oct. 20 than we are to have to deal with a hurricane down there!
You're preaching to the choir, baby. I was born in New England and lived there 33 years. Yuck to that weather.

Quote:
You may want to bring one warm outfit. Our first cool front of the year usually arrives in late October or early November. It probably won't but one pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt wouldn't hurt.
Exactly. They will still think it is glorious but often the end of October beginning of November is the first cool front. It is not like May. Of course, "cool front" is a relative term.

I think I've told this story before. When I first moved to Florida it was to Orlando in the month of September. I was in the car at the end of September, beginning of November and the radio deejay said there was a cool front coming and the temp was going to be in the upper 80s. I thought he was kidding. It took quite awhile to realize that he wasn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I go down every October, very few snowbirds, best weather, still swimmable water, fishing is OK, no traffic, few bugs.
So true for Southwest Florida. September, beginning of October is great for Disney as well. But shhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM

132 posts, read 557,069 times
NYTK: I work full time in North Fort Myers and live in Bokeelia. I love it but I do miss the hills, trees and change of seasons in NY. There are alot of things I don't miss though! I guess I was actually in the foothills compared to you. I go back every labor day weekend.

Stahltkd: I've been to the I GO INN many times. I actually grew up in North Broadalbin near the lake so that was a popular party place. The Old Lonesome Lodge was a favorite too. Ever go there? It's changed hands and names many times. Oh the stories I have....

Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM

81 posts, read 125,302 times
Mike: That's what my wife and I call "Living the Dream" - living in Bookelia and making a living while there!... Nice to know it's possible. Hope to be neighbors in the not too distant future!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think October is more like April than May and with the end of October sometimes more like the end of March. However, if you are not or ever have been a local those nuances are going to be lost on you. To you it is going to feel divine coming from the Adirondacks. Either way, it is all good and great weather.

Well, unless a late hurricane hits.

The odds are in your favor, though.
Disagree totally with October being more like April than May. The averages in April are 85/63, the averages for May are 89/68, October 87/69. It is also more humid in October than in April and the rain fall is nearly double. You can pack a warm outfit, but being from up North, chances are it will never be worn.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,073 times
Quote:
Stahltkd: I've been to the I GO INN many times. I actually grew up in North Broadalbin near the lake so that was a popular party place. The Old Lonesome Lodge was a favorite too. Ever go there? It's changed hands and names many times. Oh the stories I have....
No I haven't. Our go to plan: Leave Cleveland sometime Friday and gather at the IGo, assemble, and then proceed into the St. George's camp. We would do our thing in the woods -ie rapelling, survival training, and pratice martial arts. We'll come out sometime Sunday and hit town for supplies for a nice dinner. On Monday we'll hit the gas station / restaurant right accross the bridge for breakfast before heading back home.

I still haven't had the nerve to try Helen's "Mt. Saint Helen's wings"

Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 PM

81 posts, read 125,302 times
Reading all your wonderful replies....wearing a Pine Island hoodie sweatshirt I bought in Matlacha last spring, putting sheets over some outdoor plants due to the frost warning for tonight, watching the Webcam from inside the Green Flash restaurant on Captiva (favorite place in the world - named our dog after it!), and wondering why the !@#@$ do I live way up here?!?!?!?

Did I mention I love City-data? Next best thing to being there....

*sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area