U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM

693 posts, read 1,775,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I just got a nice orange sticker placed on my boat trailer. I have a vacant/ canal front lot in the SW cape. On monday I put my boat in at the ramp and pull it up to my dock. I have my wife pull the truck and trailer and meet me at the lot. We typically go out on the boat and leave it at the dock for a couple days instead of trailering back and forth. I park the trailer right on the property line still on my lot but close to a neighbors side of house. I don't think this neighbor would have called and complained because he used to park his trailer and his truck on my lot in the same spot and I've always told him it was ok. On Thursday morning there was an orange "remove your trailer from vacant lot w/in 3 days" sticker. I was ok because I was taking the boat out that day anyway. but it did leave me curious as to whether it was a code enforcement officer just happened to be in the neighborhood (which is possible because there are three new houses being built on the street) or did someone blow a whistle?

It's really not a big deal for me to put the boat in go out for the day and bring the trailer back to my house after the first day and store there , but it did have me wonder. I guess the difference would be , now that I know i'm not allowed to keep it there should i go on websites blasting cape coral and being negative about everything and my neighbors or should I just work within the framework of what is allowed? yes this is a direct dig at equal.
I would go on websites, especially this one, and just let the city of Cape Coral have it, it's the cool thing to do these days. I am betting code enforcement drove by. I work and drive all over the Cape all day and I see them at least a few times a day just cruising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 702 times
My husband a i are from the Pacific Northwest. We will be retiring to florida in a year. I have eliminated Cape Coral from our property search because of the comments i see here. If our motorhome (which cost more than a lot of houses in the community) is considered trashy then i have to assume that there is a strong likelyhood that we won't have much in common with the local residents.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:58 AM

37 posts, read 27,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan kienlen View Post
My husband a i are from the Pacific Northwest. We will be retiring to florida in a year. I have eliminated Cape Coral from our property search because of the comments i see here. If our motorhome (which cost more than a lot of houses in the community) is considered trashy then i have to assume that there is a strong likelyhood that we won't have much in common with the local residents.

You're right. Not much in common with most people I know here in the cape who would never make such a snobbish comment. Keep looking or stay out west.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 7,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
You're right. Not much in common with most people I know here in the cape who would never make such a snobbish comment. Keep looking or stay out west.
They are probably from Bellevue where people are judged by their possessions. They don't get that others don't appreciate the ugly toy staring at them.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:50 PM

11,792 posts, read 8,933,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan kienlen View Post
Look for a home in North Fort Myers near the Cape Coral border if you wish or go further towards I75 for a larger lot. In North Fort Myers they are fine and some homes even use them as secondary or guest housing. Plus taxes are lower here than the Cape and less code compliance problems in general.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 PM

23,533 posts, read 12,190,605 times
Code officers ride the streets to see if someone has parked a trailer,or boat in their driveway. An RV has restrictions too. I bought the lot behind my home. A code officer said I could not park my suv there. I had to have the lots joined in order for me to park anything on my own property. It is gestapo like here in the Cape.

Last edited by Taratova; 01-31-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 02:54 PM

1,600 posts, read 761,448 times
Are there safe commercial fenced lots you can leave a trailer until you need it.

I agree, in some communities they can be an eyesore

Old 02-15-2018, 08:11 AM

12,598 posts, read 5,997,515 times
Yeah Cape Coral is a bit much with their rules & regulations. At one time (the early 80's) you were only allowed to have a 4 foot tall fence around your property which is pretty stupid considering some dogs could jump that easily. We moved away & returned in 1999 and I see that fences are now allowed that are taller than 4 foot.

While I understand if you own your property you should be allowed to park your boat or motor home on YOUR property I guess if everybody started doing it, the neighborhood would look rather dumpy.

As for code enforcement, they must not be driving around my neighborhood because the person behind my house hasn't cut his grass in at least 6 months, possibly longer but that's how long I have lived here. It looks like wheat blowing in the breeze from my yard. Their front yard isn't much better. Ditto for the neighbors on both sides of my house. Their grass was close to 12 inches tall when I first moved here in August and they have cut it once. I haven't called code enforcement because who knows what problems they may be dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area