Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

Palm Springs to SW FL? Whoa. Prepare for cultural shock. They are probably as opposite as opposite can get. Fort Myers isn't that bad. As long as you have money, you'll do and live fine. Your going to love the beach. However, the ONE thing I recommend you do before anything at all - come down and VISIT! I cannot stress that enough. You need to visit first and see if you could stand it for 3 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Palm Springs to SW FL? Whoa. Prepare for cultural shock. They are probably as opposite as opposite can get. Fort Myers isn't that bad. As long as you have money, you'll do and live fine. Your going to love the beach. However, the ONE thing I recommend you do before anything at all - come down and VISIT! I cannot stress that enough. You need to visit first and see if you could stand it for 3 years!
If you are going to base a decision on a visit.....you need to do a visit in the middle of summer.....right now ... the weather is nearly perfect.....not a test of your tolerance for high humidity. It didnt discourage us....but it is something different.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:28 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,284 times
I lived in Fort Myers (now live in Tampa), the area is generally nice, halfway between Tampa and Miami and 2.5 hours from Orlando (southern suburbs), so it is not a bad area, but there are some places that are not very very good, like Lehigh Acres and everything west of I-75 north of Colonial and east of Downtown. Estero and Bonita Springs are the most expensive areas but they are beautiful, still closer to Miami. No hills nearby anywhere, just in case you like mountains or at least hills. But there are good beaches and Fort Myers Beach has some life in the nights.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM

693 posts, read 2,012,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I lived in Fort Myers (now live in Tampa), the area is generally nice, halfway between Tampa and Miami and 2.5 hours from Orlando (southern suburbs), so it is not a bad area, but there are some places that are not very very good, like Lehigh Acres and everything west of I-75 north of Colonial and east of Downtown. Estero and Bonita Springs are the most expensive areas but they are beautiful, still closer to Miami. No hills nearby anywhere, just in case you like mountains or at least hills. But there are good beaches and Fort Myers Beach has some life in the nights.
Just a couple quick shots of reality. Orlando is every bit of 3 and half hours and that is traffic free. Right now they are doing construction on I-4 and the traffic is nasty. Everything surrounding downtown Fort Myers is bad area, not just East. Estero is expensive and some parts of Bonita are as well, but there are also some older, slummy parts of Bonita Springs, just like there are in Naples (North/East Naples). Most of Estero is gated communities of single families and condo/townhouses. And their respective distances to Miami are minute at best seeing Bonita is only 10 minutes from Fort Myers. Lastly, to say that everything West of 75 and North of Colonial is not very good is an extreme over exaggeration, there are multimillion dollar homes in this area.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Just a couple quick shots of reality. Orlando is every bit of 3 and half hours and that is traffic free. Right now they are doing construction on I-4 and the traffic is nasty. Everything surrounding downtown Fort Myers is bad area, not just East. Estero is expensive and some parts of Bonita are as well, but there are also some older, slummy parts of Bonita Springs, just like there are in Naples (North/East Naples). Most of Estero is gated communities of single families and condo/townhouses. And their respective distances to Miami are minute at best seeing Bonita is only 10 minutes from Fort Myers. Lastly, to say that everything West of 75 and North of Colonial is not very good is an extreme over exaggeration, there are multimillion dollar homes in this area.
Disney World can be reached in 2.5 hours. Unless you take the entire I-75 all the way to Tampa and then take I-4 which is a huge waste of time considering the much shorter US-17 from Punta Gorda to Lake Alfred and then taking Polk CR 557 to I-4 in exit 48; saving you nearly 45 miles. Depending on traffic, other areas like Universal may take the three hours, that why I said the southern suburbs, those who are in East Polk and Western Osceola. For those in Fort Myers that don't know, the way to Orlando is NOT I-75/I-4. After you pass exit 164, I-75 turns completely westward (like the Alligator Alley from Miami) all the way to Sarasota, and then continues NW to Tampa, therefore you are going backwards for a significative length of time.

If would like to know where are the mansions west of I-75 and north of Colonial (east of downtown, just in case) because it is a huge slum over there. Sorry, it is. It is also the most dangerous area in Fort Myers.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Right now they are doing construction on I-4 and the traffic is nasty. Everything surrounding downtown Fort Myers is bad area, not just East.

I've been here going on 22 years, I cant remember any time that I travelled I 4 and they werent doing construction, on I 4 it is perpetual. Except that one time I went thru at about 4-5 a.m., the traffic is always attrocious.

Yes, everything directly around the downtown area is kinda nasty. But the west side heading down McGregor from Centennial park, past the Edison/Ford estates is kept pretty decent. And the area keeps improving as you move west toward the islands. It is after all one of the tourist attractions, and there are some rather nice, large, expensive homes in that area. The farther off of McGregor, toward US 41 you go, the more the area slides downhill(IMHO). Head east out the downtown area, and it just keeps getting worse til you get past I 75, where it still isnt great, but it starts to improve a bit.

YC.......

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I guess its because I am still new here....but I dont find anywhere I go in Ft Myer "nasty". I know there are areas of poverty and all that goes with institutionalized poverty.....and I feel badly about that.....but I dont go there. I go about my daily life in Ft Myers....finding beauty and friendly people and I just love it!

There are areas that I like more than others.....but even in Lehigh Acres (that gets a bad wrap on the forum)...I see neighborhoods, well kept yards and tidy little houses. I do see some properties that are abandoned and not maintained.....but I dont find it nasty.
I see people trying to do their best with what they have....too often too little.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Disney World can be reached in 2.5 hours. Unless you take the entire I-75 all the way to Tampa and then take I-4 which is a huge waste of time considering the much shorter US-17 from Punta Gorda to Lake Alfred and then taking Polk CR 557 to I-4 in exit 48; saving you nearly 45 miles. Depending on traffic, other areas like Universal may take the three hours, that why I said the southern suburbs, those who are in East Polk and Western Osceola. For those in Fort Myers that don't know, the way to Orlando is NOT I-75/I-4. After you pass exit 164, I-75 turns completely westward (like the Alligator Alley from Miami) all the way to Sarasota, and then continues NW to Tampa, therefore you are going backwards for a significative length of time.

If would like to know where are the mansions west of I-75 and north of Colonial (east of downtown, just in case) because it is a huge slum over there. Sorry, it is. It is also the most dangerous area in Fort Myers.
I am talking about taking 17, I travel up that way weekly. No matter what you do, you HAVE to take I-4 unless you like traveling at 15 miles an hour and hitting 900 stop lights. Unless you hit I-4 at 4 am in the middle of a summer week, and are traveling at 90 mph, you aren't getting to Disney World in 2.5 hours. It's almost 150 miles, 120 of which are not on a highway.

If you are including everything West of 75 and North of Colonial they are between McGregor and the river. I think you mean everything in between 41 or McGregor and 75 and North of Colonial. And just and FYI Pine Manor, Harlem Heights, Argyle, Horizons, and Suntree are all South of Colonial and are some of the worst 'Hoods' in Fort Myers.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I guess its because I am still new here....but I dont find anywhere I go in Ft Myer "nasty". I know there are areas of poverty and all that goes with institutionalized poverty.....and I feel badly about that.....but I dont go there. I go about my daily life in Ft Myers....finding beauty and friendly people and I just love it!

There are areas that I like more than others.....but even in Lehigh Acres (that gets a bad wrap on the forum)...I see neighborhoods, well kept yards and tidy little houses. I do see some properties that are abandoned and not maintained.....but I dont find it nasty.
I see people trying to do their best with what they have....too often too little.
It's probably because you are avoiding the areas that you most definitely should be avoiding.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I am talking about taking 17, I travel up that way weekly. No matter what you do, you HAVE to take I-4 unless you like traveling at 15 miles an hour and hitting 900 stop lights. Unless you hit I-4 at 4 am in the middle of a summer week, and are traveling at 90 mph, you aren't getting to Disney World in 2.5 hours. It's almost 150 miles, 120 of which are not on a highway.

If you are including everything West of 75 and North of Colonial they are between McGregor and the river. I think you mean everything in between 41 or McGregor and 75 and North of Colonial. And just and FYI Pine Manor, Harlem Heights, Argyle, Horizons, and Suntree are all South of Colonial and are some of the worst 'Hoods' in Fort Myers.
I have been able to hit Disney from Ft. Myers in 2.5 hours. Do you take Polk Co. Road 557 in Lake Alfred north? Or you continue US-17 all the way to Kissimmee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area