U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 05:05 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 184,267 times

Advertisements

Last time we were down (late Aug.) the water clarity was as it always seemed to be, pretty decent. This time it is pretty bad. Usually it would appear to be clearing up by about the "miserable mile". Now it seems that the water looks like coffee out well past the Sanibel bridge, even out beyond the point where the lighthouse is. Yacht Club beach, can't see the bottom in 2 feet of water, in our canal you can only see about 3' down while we used to see bottom in 6-7'.

Is this all due to the increased flow coming down the river from the extra water being released from the lake? Is this a normal occurance this time of year? We just can't remember the water ever being this ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 AM

693 posts, read 1,776,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st468 View Post
Last time we were down (late Aug.) the water clarity was as it always seemed to be, pretty decent. This time it is pretty bad. Usually it would appear to be clearing up by about the "miserable mile". Now it seems that the water looks like coffee out well past the Sanibel bridge, even out beyond the point where the lighthouse is. Yacht Club beach, can't see the bottom in 2 feet of water, in our canal you can only see about 3' down while we used to see bottom in 6-7'.

Is this all due to the increased flow coming down the river from the extra water being released from the lake? Is this a normal occurance this time of year? We just can't remember the water ever being this ugly.
Yea they let the water out of Okeechobee. Usually it's not this bad, but the water is always a little funky until the first week of November as long as the rain is fairly normal. This year we have gotten an unusual amount of rain in October, so I am not sure how long it is gonna last.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st468 View Post

It is "Normal" if we get a lot of rain during the rainy season. And we got a bunch this year.
Since the Everglades no longer filter the water and the runoff that enters the lake has so much crap in it
It will be the "Normal" every time they have to release water from the lake.
How long it last is a good question, but it will until mother nature can absorb the crap.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM

2,333 posts, read 4,365,296 times
On monday I was at Bowman beach and the water was crystal clear. Not green/blue but extemely clear.

On tuesday charlotte harbor had a tinge of red tide and the water had more of an amber look lots of little dead snapper floating around. it didn't seem to affect any other species besides this. however out by north captiva the water was crystal clear.

Wednesday was at Captiva beach and water was cloudy lots of silt could not see my own feet in 2 feet of water.

Thursday was at Cayo Costa there were some dead snapper on the beach ( maybe one every 100 yards). water was not clear , but looking through my last years october vacation recap the water quality / color/ clarity was similar. It is amazing how much nicer the water looks in April vs October. but the fishing was really good in the areas that were not affected by the red tide.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM

260 posts, read 485,240 times
You can thank the south Florida water mis management district. They have entirely rerouted how the Everglades actually work.

If you ever flown down the coast of Florida , the waters are nice and green until you get to Charlotte Harbor, and the The Caloosahatchee. It clears back up again around Bonita beach.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 184,267 times
Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,717,951 times
It's been really bad for more than 10 years. Big Ag uses lots of pesticides and fertilizer that becomes runoff and eventually travels down the Caloosahatchee. Wait when there is an algae bloom and red tide happens in a big way. It is nasty, nasty, nasty. It affects some folks' health. If I was inland I was okay but if I got closer to the coast I would get a persistent cough and horrible migraines. Some years are worse than others. I agree with Dennis, it affects the area from North Fort Myers to Bonita Beach. Rarely does it happen south of there.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 AM

2,333 posts, read 4,365,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's been really bad for more than 10 years. Big Ag uses lots of pesticides and fertilizer that becomes runoff and eventually travels down the Caloosahatchee. Wait when there is an algae bloom and red tide happens in a big way. It is nasty, nasty, nasty. It affects some folks' health. If I was inland I was okay but if I got closer to the coast I would get a persistent cough and horrible migraines. Some years are worse than others. I agree with Dennis, it affects the area from North Fort Myers to Bonita Beach. Rarely does it happen south of there.

this time the red tide was coming from the north , I was not there but I heard venice and englewood got it really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area