U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:16 PM

31 posts, read 81,225 times

Advertisements

3/8" A/C line is leaking; lines run below the concrete floor in composite conduit under the ajoining unit to a bank of compressors. In my case it's about 60'. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution, no one seems to think using the existing line to snake a new one will work over that distance and through unknown obstacles.

Home owners assoc deny responsibility, 9 year old construction, developer bankrupt. I'm probably grasping at straws here but this is likely to be an expensive repair.

Anyone know of precedent for this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Flier View Post
3/8" A/C line is leaking; lines run below the concrete floor in composite conduit under the ajoining unit to a bank of compressors. In my case it's about 60'. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution, no one seems to think using the existing line to snake a new one will work over that distance and through unknown obstacles.

Home owners assoc deny responsibility, 9 year old construction, developer bankrupt. I'm probably grasping at straws here but this is likely to be an expensive repair.

Most likely you will have to pay up. That is why I always say Buyer beware of homeowners associations.
Don't buy any property were there is a homeowners association involved, it's nothing but trouble.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM

10 posts, read 35,406 times
Quote:

I actually just posed that question a few days ago to another in our condo development. I was told that here, the lines are the property of the condo owner. I was told that a problem occurred here and the A/C company was going to try a stop leak product. I was also told that if it was one of the newer high efficiency units stop leak would not work as the pressure was too high. I am not an expert, just reporting what I heard.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,717,951 times
Grab your condominium documents. It will spell out who is responsible and it varies from community to community so there is no pat answer.

This link helps spell this out.

http://www.kayebenderlaw.com/files/f...el-5-12-10.pdf

Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 AM

319 posts, read 490,167 times
Before anyone does too much research..The opposing side whether the builder, the installer or the HOA will use this Argument...

"Average life expectancy on HVAC equipment in Southern Climes is 10 to 12 years"

At 9 it is close enough to argue previous use was above average and that Hard Starts are the cause of line cavitation which caused the leaks due to stress.

Not to mention they would also use, "It passed City/County Inspection at the time"

With that said you probably need to consider a replace option like Ductless or consider having equipment relocated in order to cut down replacement cost.

Sorry to be a Debby Downer, I had some personal experience with this with a home in Tampa.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM

254 posts, read 360,528 times
Run a new one on the outside of the building. Then cover with a metal chase. Paint to match existing.

Any reputable AC company should have already thought about that.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Run a new one on the outside of the building. Then cover with a metal chase. Paint to match existing.

Any reputable AC company should have already thought about that.
Oh sure, try and get that approved by the homeowners Association.
That's gonna be fun.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,365,296 times
Quote:

if it is in conduit than what obstacle can be in the way? Not that this is exactly the same but I've run electrical 12 gauge wire and also 59 coax cable much bigger distances than that via snaking. if it is flex line then I would attach with a coupler the new hose to existing , duct tape the hell outta it. and have one person push new tubing through one end while another slowly pulls the existing from the other end. If it's leaking what do you have to lose? if it doesn't work then just go to plan b

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM

31 posts, read 81,225 times
Unfortunately the conduit appears to be a woven fiberglas tube as seen from where the line exits from the soil. On a straight line we're looking at 60' plus any turns. Yeah I'd love to use that line to snake in a new one but two different A/C companies predict the old line will separate trying to pull it. This is a four-plex with fire separated block/concrete walls/ceilings with a bank of compressors at the far end of the building. Only outside chance if I could get it approved by the HOA would be to go up to the attic and across and down. Assuming everything could be located.

I've asked the managment agent to quote the by-laws indicating responsibility for below grade lines but am not optimistic this will be in my favor.

So for the present I've had a second "new improved" stop leak introduced into the system to augment the first can which didn't solve the problem in six months.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM

254 posts, read 360,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Oh sure, try and get that approved by the homeowners Association.
That's gonna be fun.

It happens all the time. You might be surprised at the response.

Either that, or tell the HOA that you'll have to dig a trench through the living room of four condos. They'll understand the reasoning for going outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area