U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 46,986 times

Advertisements

PLEASE HELP!! I am considering moving to the Ft. Myers area. I have looked at several colleges around the area and found a couple I liked. I would be moving by myself, and would like to know the safest areas. I would probably be working late nights somewhere. Any and ALL advice would be great! Also- I know that Ft. Myers often has hurricanes, or at least hurricane weather- but how bad is it really? I am from the Midwest, and I am soooo scared of storms- but we have a ton of tornadoes around here every year!! Like I said- any information would be loads of help- feel free to add anything else in that I haven't mentioned!!

I was also wondering about the insects/animals/etc. around florida. I have heard that spiders are prominent in homes, and snakes also. What kinds of wildlife will I need to "look forward" to coming in contact with in the area?

Any tips/advice on the Ft. Myers area would be greatly appreciated! P.S. I have always lived in small towns...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 PM

73 posts, read 369,639 times
Have you considered using the "SEARCH" option on the forum's upper toolbar....

Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 PM

14 posts, read 46,986 times
Yes- but I don't want to go through 100 pages and read every listing only to find that I still don't have all the answers to my questions!!! Thanks for the advice though!!! Any other advice, such as I asked before is appreciated too!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,056,952 times
[quote=bono11;1694710] What kinds of wildlife will I need to "look forward" to coming in contact with in the area?
QUOTE]

Lots of "wildlife". Just look at the crime stats in some parts of the area. Take the zip code of those areas and look it up on the US Census. Will tell you all you need to know.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,649,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono11 View Post
PLEASE HELP!! I am considering moving to the Ft. Myers area. I have looked at several colleges around the area and found a couple I liked. I would be moving by myself, and would like to know the safest areas. I would probably be working late nights somewhere. Any and ALL advice would be great! Also- I know that Ft. Myers often has hurricanes, or at least hurricane weather- but how bad is it really? I am from the Midwest, and I am soooo scared of storms- but we have a ton of tornadoes around here every year!! Like I said- any information would be loads of help- feel free to add anything else in that I haven't mentioned!!

I was also wondering about the insects/animals/etc. around florida. I have heard that spiders are prominent in homes, and snakes also. What kinds of wildlife will I need to "look forward" to coming in contact with in the area?

Any tips/advice on the Ft. Myers area would be greatly appreciated! P.S. I have always lived in small towns...
What "several" colleges in the area? There are not several colleges in the area or even SWFL for that matter. Education is not of importance here. What sort of job will you be working nights? Most jobs here are retail & construction & pay bare minimum.

Crime & insects...depends on your tolerance.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM

7 posts, read 32,514 times
In Ft.Myers we have Edison College, Hodges and FGCU. Education is not of importance? Whatever! After looking at some of your past posts I am really glad you are leaving-hope you find a better place. Bashing Florida seems to be going on alot here on this website. Bono11- please don't listen to most of these people on this site, I came across this forum asking for advice myself only to discover you won't find alot of helpful advice-just alot of negative. We are in south ftmyers 33912-it's great. Estero-33928 by fgcu also great. 33908 too. any other questions? i'll be happy to answer for you, don't let negative people get in your way!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 27,431 times
Watch COPS saturday nights. Every other espisode is Ft Myers. High crime and drugs everywhere. The further away from the Gulf Coast the more crime, more biting insects, more snakes. Hurricanes vary, but you will have to evacuate north and find somewhere to stay for 3 days if you can find a hotel or gas. Hurricanes last for Hours at a time and will scare the hell out of you... neighbor's lawn chairs flying against your house, palm tree branches flinging onto your car, wind damage everywhere, flooding, down power lines, illegal aliens running around committing violent crime and getting away with it.

Try South Ft Myers

to sum it up... it ain't so bad.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:57 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,649,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl07 View Post
In Ft.Myers we have Edison College, Hodges and FGCU. Education is not of importance? Whatever! After looking at some of your past posts I am really glad you are leaving-hope you find a better place. Bashing Florida seems to be going on alot here on this website. Bono11- please don't listen to most of these people on this site, I came across this forum asking for advice myself only to discover you won't find alot of helpful advice-just alot of negative. We are in south ftmyers 33912-it's great. Estero-33928 by fgcu also great. 33908 too. any other questions? i'll be happy to answer for you, don't let negative people get in your way!
Did you see the front page of the paper two days ago? FGCU really pays their professors well. Second lowest in the state. Nursing program is on probation. Enrollment has decreased. Sounds like a great place to attend.

Edison is just a two year college so if someone wants a 4yr college degree they have to find that elsewhere & Hodges can't figure out what name it wants to be (is it Hodges? Is it the International College? Heck, let's just change it every few years.)

Lee County has one of the lowest ratings in Florida for grades K-12.

Education is a joke in Fort Myers.

There are better places in Florida to get an education.

Good luck trying to sell whatever you are trying to sell in Fort Myers.

Last edited by 121804; 10-11-2007 at 09:15 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,819,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Good luck trying to sell whatever you are trying to sell in Fort Myers.
Oh, SNAP!!!!

You beat me to it. I was going to say that!

My old hood was 33912. A lot of it is old houses built in the 70s and 80s that are now moldy due to the humidity and the power being off after hurricanes. Then there is the pesky little problem of nice people living next to crack houses or illegals stuffed into a house. The big entertainment is "The Country Club" and "San Carlos Lounge," two rough bars where cops are called on a regular basis.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM

246 posts, read 949,112 times
If you will be going to school at FGCU Estero would be a good place for you. There are a lot of nice places in Ft. Myers. Most of the crime is in East Ft. Myers (Dunbar) so stay out of there. My daughter was a server in Ft. Myers for years and never had a problem at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area