Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I just hope where you're looking to live isn't Westwood or Westchase.....nasty, dirty, filthy, drug infested, section 8 housing full of slobs and thugs.
I remember that poster. It's from four years ago. It's funny because you are actually dead-on. He was looking for section 8 housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
If you want to be really thorough, take a month to drive the coast in January from Charleston NC to Key West, then back up the west coast and around to Galveston TX and beyond, which is a fun trip.

Once you get a sense of your general area preference, rent for a week and do a lot of driving around the various neighbourhoods in your price range, then rent for a month in your favorite neighbourhood. Keep exploring.

Then rent for a year, and once you have shaken out all the problems with the neighbourhood (and there is a long list of things that can go wrong) and experienced all the months you plan to be there, and still like it, then you buy ideally in the off season when a real deal presents itself, or just stay a renter.
Every prospective snowbird should print this out and put it on their bathroom mirror.

Granted, maybe not everyone has the ability to take that tour, but it would be wonderful.

I can't stress the rental advice enough, however.

Kroeran is a foreign snowbird;* a snowbird that did a LOT of research. Ultimately, no matter how much investigation, maps and flowcharts, being from another country puts one at a distinct disadvantage.

I once had a foreigner tell me I should move - with a school-age child - to Mississippi or Alabama, possibly rural Georgia. Heck, that doesn't even look good on paper.

I'd be afraid to buy in another country. I'd love to but I'd be terrified. You should be, too. But don't let that stop you from giving it a whirl. We have a lot of happy Brits in SwFL and we always have. It's just finding your exact piece of paradise that can be challenging.

*This sounds like something that National Geographic should be investigating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
^^^ I agree..we have a lot of happy Brits, Germans and others living here. But, they did their homework and just didn't throw a dart a the map and decide that's the place. They took time to visit and took time to chat not only with real estate agents ( because legally they can't tell you much) but they spoke with locals and ppl who will 100% up front. Like us here!!

I do a own a home in another country, but it was easy because my dh is from there and we've been going back and forth for the last 25 yrs..so that country is my second home.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 AM

106 posts, read 165,718 times
My wife and I did our homework on the area and feel we made a great choice in choosing a property, the best part it has been confirmed by a member of this forum whom we trust 100%! Very happy that I stumbled onto this forum, it has been a wealth of information.

Thank you to all of you!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM

48 posts, read 156,708 times
Kroeran & Kim in FL: Thank you both. Sorry for the late reply, I have been moving house here in the UK and had a wait while reconnecting to my Broadband activation at the new house. Looking at Westchase area, no this was not where I was looking to buy in the future but I will use this information to keep well clear. Kroeran, you give good advice. I hope to travel around considered areas and it makes sense to rent in a chosen area before commiting to buying. Thanks again - Purpleash22

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM

222 posts, read 472,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleash22 View Post
I am looking for somewhere to live in Florida for six months of the year then return to England for our spring, summer months. I was thinking of Sarasota (but here appears to be a busy expensive town as is Miami). I was then considering Venice or North Naples but if saddled close to Fort Mayers with higher crime rates and unemployment giving rises to unfriendly people, are Venice or North Naples viable locations options still? If considering the east coast and it seems a similar problem with Fort Lauderdale, busy and expensive likewise to Miami. Anywhere else to recommend? Or even South Carolina?

Cape Coral, Fort Myers or Sanibel/Captiva are ace. Where you can live depends upon what you can afford but you won't go too much wrong here.

We're Brits and we bought at a pretty good price. Bargains are running out so don't waste time - buy now!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM

48 posts, read 156,708 times
Default London guy

Thanks 'London Guy'. Cape Coral I have been told by a Realty Agent in a generalised opinion that this is a quiet Fishing Village so I wonder if there is enough there to keep ones interests occupied. Fort Myers reading these Forums here say that there is more unemployment in this location and hence the crime rate is higher due to unfriendly out of work people and little to do there as most interests and job opportunities are elsewhere. Sanibel/Captiva looks a thin strip of land out in the sea though nice. Is there much there? Do you worry of flooding and open to storms there?

Now you live in this area so I respect your opinion of the area. I have not been there myself yet so I can only take what is said within these forums which give a number of useful opinions guiding you as to the best way forward. Many of you say to visit and rent first which now I agree is the wisest thing to do. Thank you London Guy and all you others out there, who are more familiar with the areas so I am grateful to have received all your friendly useful advice.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleash22 View Post
Thanks 'London Guy'. Cape Coral I have been told by a Realty Agent in a generalised opinion that this is a quiet Fishing Village so I wonder if there is enough there to keep ones interests occupied. Fort Myers reading these Forums here say that there is more unemployment in this location and hence the crime rate is higher due to unfriendly out of work people and little to do there as most interests and job opportunities are elsewhere. Sanibel/Captiva looks a thin strip of land out in the sea though nice. Is there much there? Do you worry of flooding and open to storms there?
I know you asked for London Guy's opinion, and I am sure he'll be along shortly, but I had some time to kill so...

Methinks there might have been a lack of communication between you and your agent.

Cape Coral is not what I would calling a "fishing village." Ogunquit, Maine or Nantucket comes to mind when I think of a fishing village. It's really just a a very large piece of land that use to be a swamp. A get-rich-quick developer came by in the 1950s and created canals and homes and thus became Cape Coral. There are a lot of homeowners that fish for sport and fun, though, and if that's what you mean by fishing village, then okay, Cape Coral is a fishing village.

Regarding the unemployment rate, it is equally pertains to Fort Myers and Cape Coral so that's not the situation.

A portion of Fort Myers is "citified," for lack of a better word, and part of that has a very low-income area. There are also a few more areas like that throughout the city and county.

Sanibel and Captiva is very low-key and beautiful, intentionally kept that way by its well-heeled residents. It was purposely not over-developed. There are some shops and restaurants. It's a lovely place with incredible beaches and seashells. You will pay accordingly for the unpretentious, old-money vibe.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:18 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
Where would anyone get Cape Coral as a "fishing village" from??? Weird. It's more like a bedroom town.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:28 PM

222 posts, read 472,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I know you asked for London Guy's opinion, and I am sure he'll be along shortly
Yaay, here i am

Quote:
Cape Coral is not what I would calling a "fishing village." Ogunquit, Maine or Nantucket comes to mind when I think of a fishing village. It's really just a a very large piece of land that use to be a swamp. A get-rich-quick developer came by in the 1950s and created canals and homes and thus became Cape Coral. There are a lot of homeowners that fish for sport and fun, though, and if that's what you mean by fishing village, then okay, Cape Coral is a fishing village.
That's not very fair 'cos Cape Coral is a pretty nice place. OK, it's not an English village that has developed over a couple of hundred years but it's a very pleasant town IMHO

Quote:
Sanibel and Captiva is very low-key and beautiful, intentionally kept that way by its well-heeled residents. It was purposely not over-developed. There are some shops and restaurants. It's a lovely place with incredible beaches and seashells. You will pay accordingly for the unpretentious, old-money vibe.
Yeah

Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Guy View Post

That's not very fair 'cos Cape Coral is a pretty nice place. OK, it's not an English village that has developed over a couple of hundred years but it's a very pleasant town IMHO

I didn't mean to disparage Cape Coral. I love the place. It just isn't a fishing village. I'm from New England and I know from "fishing village."

I just want to make sure that your fellow countryman knows what Cape Coral is. Chris put it beautifully - and mad reps to him - it's a bedroom community. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area