U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM
 
85 posts, read 174,140 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Looking to come to Captiva Island this upcoming summer and had a couple of questions. I would be flying into Ft. Myers airport, should I rent a car for the week or take a taxi to South Seas resort (on the short list of places to stay), is there transportation on the island. Is Captiva family friendly or should I be looking else where. Want that Caribbean Island feel without leaving the main land... rather spend my money here.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
693 posts, read 1,775,791 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brooklyn_NYC View Post
Looking to come to Captiva Island this upcoming summer and had a couple of questions. I would be flying into Ft. Myers airport, should I rent a car for the week or take a taxi to South Seas resort (on the short list of places to stay), is there transportation on the island. Is Captiva family friendly or should I be looking else where. Want that Caribbean Island feel without leaving the main land... rather spend my money here.

Thanks
South Seas is VERY family friendly and most definitely has the Caribbean feel. Once you are there you will not need a vehicle. They have trolleys that run the resort all day long and everything you need is in the resort. I am 99% sure they have an airport shuttle that will pick you up at the airport and take you to the resort that I believe is free since you will be staying at the resort. I highly recommend South Seas and have stayed there a few times and have spent day trips there with friends that own a condo, it's a great place for a family vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM
 
91 posts, read 183,883 times
Reputation: 100
The entire area has A LOT of families running around. Very laid back place which is Caribbean-esk. Places like The Bubble Room or Mucky Duck are just over a half mile away. Short enough for a brisk walk or bike but that isn't for everyone. There is a trolley but you are limited to their run time. I would probably get a cheap car rental for the week. Probably not much more than a two way taxi drive and maybe even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM
 
85 posts, read 174,140 times
Reputation: 34
Thanks appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
 
101 posts, read 243,948 times
Reputation: 54
When you have your stay dates, check with priceline. com and start entering very low rates for car rentals. I've saved a fortune doing this- most of the time I can get a rental for under $20/day. but you have to start early and keep trying to get the best rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
 
91 posts, read 183,883 times
Reputation: 100
CostCo frequently has better prices and worth a check if you are a member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
693 posts, read 1,775,791 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
The entire area has A LOT of families running around. Very laid back place which is Caribbean-esk. Places like The Bubble Room or Mucky Duck are just over a half mile away. Short enough for a brisk walk or bike but that isn't for everyone. There is a trolley but you are limited to their run time. I would probably get a cheap car rental for the week. Probably not much more than a two way taxi drive and maybe even less.
There are two trolleys that run pretty much all day long on a 15 minute schedule. I am telling you if you rent a car, it will be sitting for the entire time you at the resort. There is a shuttle based on Captiva that runs to the airport for $60 for up to 4 people, kids under 6 don't count. If you have 4 or less people over 6 years old, there is no way you can beat the shuttle price renting a car for the week and paying for fuel, you will also be able to enjoy the ride to and from the island without having to worry about driving. If you really feel you need transportation while here, rent a golf cart when you check in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 AM
 
85 posts, read 174,140 times
Reputation: 34
Thanks BillyThePokerKid excellent suggestions and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
 
91 posts, read 183,883 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
There are two trolleys that run pretty much all day long on a 15 minute schedule. I am telling you if you rent a car, it will be sitting for the entire time you at the resort. There is a shuttle based on Captiva that runs to the airport for $60 for up to 4 people, kids under 6 don't count. If you have 4 or less people over 6 years old, there is no way you can beat the shuttle price renting a car for the week and paying for fuel, you will also be able to enjoy the ride to and from the island without having to worry about driving. If you really feel you need transportation while here, rent a golf cart when you check in.
They have cut trolley service over the last few years and waiting for a trolley by the marina can easily be 30+ minutes which can be a big deal in summer with kids. I did forget about the golf cart rental which is a nice way to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top