Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 19,898 times

Advertisements

I plan on visiting the Fort Myers area in February. I want to spend a few days fishing for largemouth, smallmouth or spotted bass. Does anyone have some information on where to fish off the bank. I will not have a boat. Also considering driving to Lake Okeechobee for a couple of days to fish and camp, i think you can camp there ? Any other lakes or ponds that would be good would be great if you could share them.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM

297 posts, read 509,436 times
A lot of good bass fishing in the freshwater canals. This site will give you some good info

www.floridasportsman.com

Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
Not sure why you come to ft myers and then bass fish. I do my bass and trout fishing up north and look forward to swfl for a trendous variety of fish. Feb is a perfect time to fish from shore and piers. Sheepshead, snapper will be all around the fishing piers and whiting run right along the shore of all the beaches. Both bite on small pieces of shrimp on small hooks and most importa.tly are good eating.... but if your set on bass fishing i would go lake O

Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Not sure why you come to ft myers and then bass fish. I do my bass and trout fishing up north and look forward to swfl for a trendous variety of fish. Feb is a perfect time to fish from shore and piers. Sheepshead, snapper will be all around the fishing piers and whiting run right along the shore of all the beaches. Both bite on small pieces of shrimp on small hooks and most importa.tly are good eating.... but if your set on bass fishing i would go lake O
Agreed, the Big O would be my choice if you are coming to Florida to bass fish, although I also don't get the point of coming to Florida to fish in freshwater.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM

Great advice guys !!!

Never gone Saltwater fishing before. I figured you must have a boat to be worthwhile going out. Bass the first few days, saltwater the next few days it is. Can anyone recommend a few good spots to try my luck in the saltwater, piers, banks,etc ?

Thanks for the information! This is really going to give me more time to fish when down there, rather than spending time searching for spots to fish.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMopar View Post
Great advice guys !!!

Never gone Saltwater fishing before. I figured you must have a boat to be worthwhile going out. Bass the first few days, saltwater the next few days it is. Can anyone recommend a few good spots to try my luck in the saltwater, piers, banks,etc ?

Thanks for the information! This is really going to give me more time to fish when down there, rather than spending time searching for spots to fish.

I would go to sanibel lighthouse. it has a nice fishing pier there. I also think I recall some kind of pier at ft myers beach as well. cape coral has a fishing pier (but I've never seen anyone catch anything off it) Matlacha has the bridge to fish off. Sanibel also has the causeway where there are many places to fish from. and then all of the beach front on sanibel. park at any of the beaches and fish away.

I like to fish two ways from the beach. One I take a rod with larger sized bait like a pinfish or finger mullet and cast it out as far as I can and let it sit. the other is a rod I us with shrimp and cast along the shoreline about 10ft out from where the surf crashes (there's usually a dropoff here) keep line tight and reel slowly setting the hook when you feel a hit. the whiting and permit and baby jacks, sheephead, flounder, ladyfish, snapper, pinfish will all be caught here

if you want to really increase your chances .. fish 30 mins before and after each tide sunrise/ moonrise sunset/ moon set lower wind days.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM

254 posts, read 433,717 times
I'm not sure about Sanibel, but the Fort Myers Beach Pier is a licensed pier. Meaning you won't need a license to fish off of it. There is actually a bait shack right on the pier too (rent a pole, if you'd like.)

If you do get a saltwater license, the Sanibel causeway is a good spot to do some shore/wade fishing.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM

260 posts, read 563,039 times
Cecil Webb is a good are for bass...

Fishin Franks how to fish Punta Gorda webb Babock.

Shell Creek is another spot...

Fishin Franks where to go fishing hathaway park

Lake trafford is a good spot for bass.

Lake Trafford

Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Thanks Den

That is a great website!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM

260 posts, read 563,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMopar View Post
Thanks Den

That is a great website!
If you are fishing anywhere in Charlotte Harbor, it is the best. They run a great bait shop too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area