U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM

964 posts, read 1,840,513 times

Advertisements

Hemi, I'm so glad you have solved the problem and I hope it sticks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,496 times
Just so you know, I have a similar issue with my property. The people that live there are tenants. I've owned my home for 3 years but just moved into it and all I've heard from the neighbors is that these folks are horrible (loud music, barking dog, and a host of compliance violations). They have a stereo on the lanai and the speakers are pointed at my back door. They play the music so loud that I hear the beat of the bass in my house with the windows shut, AC on, and TV playing in the living room. I called the police today and I had the officer come into the house and listen. He said there was NOTHING that could be done. That "technically" they were not doing anything wrong. He could go ask them to turn it down, but he had no authority to make them turn it down. I think that's bullsh**. I decided temporarily to fight fire with fire and put my portable CD player with a Bose Speaker out the back window at 80db. I closed my bedroom door and in my living room I could hardly hear my own stereo, but could still hear the thumping of their bass. (I was playing adult contemporary, and they were playing latin music). This is true BULL!!! I tried to call the guy that owns the property and the number rings, yet there is no answer and not answering machine or voicemail. I need to put up a fence for my dogs and thought about putting a 6ft privacy across the back, but that section of fence would cost me what my entire yard would cost to put in chain link. If I could get the owner to split it with me, that would be great, but I doubt he will even care. I do intend to find out who my city council member is to get this ordinance changed. I should not hear anyone else's music in my house with the windows closed.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM

199 posts, read 463,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxterBaxter View Post
Just so you know, I have a similar issue with my property. The people that live there are tenants. I've owned my home for 3 years but just moved into it and all I've heard from the neighbors is that these folks are horrible (loud music, barking dog, and a host of compliance violations). They have a stereo on the lanai and the speakers are pointed at my back door. They play the music so loud that I hear the beat of the bass in my house with the windows shut, AC on, and TV playing in the living room. I called the police today and I had the officer come into the house and listen. He said there was NOTHING that could be done. That "technically" they were not doing anything wrong. He could go ask them to turn it down, but he had no authority to make them turn it down. I think that's bullsh**. I decided temporarily to fight fire with fire and put my portable CD player with a Bose Speaker out the back window at 80db. I closed my bedroom door and in my living room I could hardly hear my own stereo, but could still hear the thumping of their bass. (I was playing adult contemporary, and they were playing latin music). This is true BULL!!! I tried to call the guy that owns the property and the number rings, yet there is no answer and not answering machine or voicemail. I need to put up a fence for my dogs and thought about putting a 6ft privacy across the back, but that section of fence would cost me what my entire yard would cost to put in chain link. If I could get the owner to split it with me, that would be great, but I doubt he will even care. I do intend to find out who my city council member is to get this ordinance changed. I should not hear anyone else's music in my house with the windows closed.
Hey Maxter,

I actually went over and talked with the tenants, and I was pretty upset when I did so, so I think I scared them. They've been quiet as church mice ever since. Before talking with them though, I also decided to give them a taste of their own medicine, but I wasn't playing adult contemporary - I think I went with ZZ Top or Def Leppard. Definitely got the point across! If they are playing that music after 10pm, they most certainly ARE doing something wrong - they are breaking the city noise ordinance and are disturbing the peace. But even during the day, there's just no excuse for being inconsiderate of your neighbors, period. Try having a talk with them - you might be surprised at the results.

Hope it all works out -

Hemidancer

Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM

46 posts, read 90,426 times
Call made from a throwaway telephone;
"Hello police, I can hear a women screaming. It sounds like the guy is beating her, shes yelling 'help me'"

Old 09-07-2013, 07:01 PM

23,533 posts, read 12,190,605 times
Quote:
When I was in NJ a few years ago, I had the thump of the bass coming into my house at night.. I called the police.. It stopped...They went to the house and told them to turn it down.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,496 times
If you read the city ordinance, anything over 66db is too loud any time of day. I downloaded an ap to my phone and their music at my back door is 75db, so imagine what it is in their lanai. The police won't do anything because they choose not to. I plan on video taping what the db meter shows in the morning when there is no noise. Then record the db meter when they do the noise. I think that from my garage to the other side of the street is about the same distance, so I'm going to play my stereo until it gets to the same db level then record it and then go to the garage and show how loud it really is there. Once I get it, I'll take it to the police and tell them to fix it.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM

42 posts, read 159,209 times
Quote:
If you read the city ordinance, anything over 66db is too loud any time of day. I downloaded an ap to my phone and their music at my back door is 75db, so imagine what it is in their lanai. The police won't do anything because they choose not to (BBM). I plan on video taping what the db meter shows in the morning when there is no noise. Then record the db meter when they do the noise. I think that from my garage to the other side of the street is about the same distance, so I'm going to play my stereo until it gets to the same db level then record it and then go to the garage and show how loud it really is there. Once I get it, I'll take it to the police and tell them to fix it.

We had an incident in August with a neighbor who decided to throw a "child's" birthday party. They set up a number of tables on the front lawn complete with a canopy cover. They then put 2 3 foot speakers on one of these tables facing our house, about 50 feet from our front door. There had to be at least 100 guests (mainly adults) attending, which began at 3:30 pm and ended around 10:30pm. We could hear each song despite having our windows closed and A/C on, not to mention the thump of the bass. There's something about hearing Phy's Gundam Style late at night blaring thru the interior of our house that raises the blood pressure about 10 points.

We called Lee County Sheriff's department twice that day; twice an officer came by and asked them to turn down the volume. The music was at a reasonable level for less then 10 mins.; of course as soon as the officer was gone it was turned right back up again. By 7 pm we had enough and once more called the Sheriff's department, this time stating we wanted to file a complaint. Imagine our surprise when an officer told us a complaint would do us no good b/c of a Florida Supreme Court ruling last December regarding enforcement of a noise ordinance in Pinellas county.

The next day my husband spoke with the captain, thinking this officer's information was incorrect. Turns out the officer was right. The FL Supreme court ruled that loud music is a freedom of speech issue! http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/decisions/2012/sc11-1166.pdf According to what we've been told this ruling nullifies the noise ordinance. So if a neighbor wants to play their electric guitar at 3 am they would have the right to do so based on freedom of speech. This doesn't apply to Lee County alone, this would include the entire state of Florida. The captain said they recently wrote a citation for noise in Ft. Myers Beach only to have the judge throw out the charges based on this ruling. As it stands currently, an officer can ASK a person to tone down the noise, but if the person refuses there is nothing that can be done.

I wrote our state representative (Rep. Ray Rodrigues) who has been so kind as to check into this matter with the state's attorney general to seek clarification. I am waiting for a reply.

I can only add as ridiculous as this is the reality is it trumps disturbing the peace laws and screams "anything goes". So according to what we have been told it's not that an officer won't do anything with a noise complaint, it's that they have their hands tied by this ruling.

This post must seem crazy, but if you don't believe it talk to the Sheriff's department and you will be told the same. I will suggest contacting your state representative in order to correct this issue. And if you have good neighbors be thankful and hope they never move. Wish I had better news

Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,118 times
i would like to see anti woofer(loud vibrating speakers) signs posted in residential areas or none after 9 pm. my home windows vibrate well after midnite .i live on sw 8th street . cape coral .i think this intrusive noise: causing my home windows to vibrate and its constant! they dont allow this sort of thing in many places.i came to the cape for the suburb feel it has.

thanks ,your new neighbor,

from viginia

Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 10,118 times
if there arehuhreds or thousands of like minded peoples who feel extream bass speakers should be limited to a time and or dsitance from residentials and schools ,then please ,lets get to voting asap!we are take it to the state.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,706,618 times
Sheshells, the Florida Supreme Court decision you linked to regarded a Pinellas County statute regarding noise emanating from cars on roads or highways. Because their statute did not extend to commercial or political vehicles, it was thrown out. Further, the justices found it unconstitutionally overbroad, but not unconstitutionally vague. This is what Lee County used in justifying your call to them? Is it because of the hours of the party? Did you leap to the conclusion of noise at 3 a.m. being handled the same way as between the hours of 3:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m?

Here is some information regarding noise in Cape Coral.

Cape Coral Citizen Support Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area