U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM

199 posts, read 463,768 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

I live on a canal in Cape Coral, and my neighbors directly across the canal from me like to hang out on their concrete patio area every night and party, and they're pretty noisy. They also have a screaming baby who always seems to be outside.

I'm a pretty tolerant person. I have no problem with a neighbor occasionally having some people over and having a party and making some noise. But not every single night of the week! Now that the weather is nice and I have all my windows open, its becoming a really big problem. At night when I'm watching TV, I need to jack up the volume to hear the TV over all the ruckus. if I'm on the phone, I can barely carry on a conversation over all the hooting and howling coming from across the canal.

Last night I decided to go over there and try to talk to the people, but the only person home was a hispanic girl who didn't speak English, so I doubt I was very successful in communicating my point.

If this is all occurring before 10pm at night, do I have any recourse at all, or do I just have to suck it up and deal with it? The next time they pull their crap, I'm going to take my Bose Wave out there and start blasting some Stevie Ray Vaughn - that should get their attention. I hate to be like that, but what else can I do to get them to stop, or at least reduce the frequency of their noisy behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidancer View Post
hi folks,

i live on a canal in cape coral, and my neighbors directly across the canal from me like to hang out on their concrete patio area every night and party, and they're pretty noisy. They also have a screaming baby who always seems to be outside.

I'm a pretty tolerant person. I have no problem with a neighbor occasionally having some people over and having a party and making some noise. But not every single night of the week! Now that the weather is nice and i have all my windows open, its becoming a really big problem. At night when i'm watching tv, i need to jack up the volume to hear the tv over all the ruckus. If i'm on the phone, i can barely carry on a conversation over all the hooting and howling coming from across the canal.

Last night i decided to go over there and try to talk to the people, but the only person home was a hispanic girl who didn't speak english, so i doubt i was very successful in communicating my point.

If this is all occurring before 10pm at night, do i have any recourse at all, or do i just have to suck it up and deal with it? The next time they pull their crap, i'm going to take my bose wave out there and start blasting some stevie ray vaughn - that should get their attention. I hate to be like that, but what else can i do to get them to stop, or at least reduce the frequency of their noisy behavior?
lol

Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
lol
I'm glad you find my problem amusing, Equal - wish I could say the same.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,365,296 times
get 2 halogen 500 watt flood lights angle one directly at there concrete patio and the other directly at their sliders. put them on every night , either they'll get the point or they'll ask you to redirect them. If they ask you to redirect them, ask if they could refrain from outdoor parties every night, that way it becomes a win/ win. No one would want to be out there with bright lights shining in their eyes.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
I'm glad you find my problem amusing, Equal - wish I could say the same.
Well, it's sounds more like you are upset because somebody else is enjoying their life.
You sound like the perfect candidate for one of them thar "communities" Gated, fenced, exclusive kind where everyone thinks and acts alike.
Join the rest of them and then you can complain about your neighbors all the time, There are plenty of those "Communities" around, Choose one that doesn't allow noise, children, happiness, all must be quiet all the time Maybe your quality of life would be a little better, if you joined the party.
Celebrate life instead of complaining about it.

The Irish figured this out a long time ago therefor the toast,

Drink while you are living, Because you're a long time Dead

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Well, it's sounds more like you are upset because somebody else is enjoying their life.
You sound like the perfect candidate for one of them thar "communities" Gated, fenced, exclusive kind where everyone thinks and acts alike.
Join the rest of them and then you can complain about your neighbors all the time, There are plenty of those "Communities" around, Choose one that doesn't allow noise, children, happiness, all must be quiet all the time Maybe your quality of life would be a little better, if you joined the party.
Celebrate life instead of complaining about it.

The Irish figured this out a long time ago therefor the toast,

Drink while you are living, Because you're a long time Dead
Nothing could be further from the truth, Equal - I can see why you are so popular among this forum. You just open your mouth and spew whatever verbal diarrhea happens to pop into that tiny little brain of yours.

I am not upset in the least that other people are 'enjoying their life'. I am upset because they are preventing me from enjoying mine. These people are scum - they throw their beer bottles and cans all over the yard, and often times they land in the canal. They have no regard whatsoever for anyone but themselves and THAT is what upsets me. They are out there EVERY NIGHT for hours on end. As I said, I am a VERY TOLERANT person, and I am also a very CONSIDERATE person and expect the same others.

Do me a favor and stay out of my threads. I don't need your negative BS. Capiche?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
get 2 halogen 500 watt flood lights angle one directly at there concrete patio and the other directly at their sliders. put them on every night , either they'll get the point or they'll ask you to redirect them. If they ask you to redirect them, ask if they could refrain from outdoor parties every night, that way it becomes a win/ win. No one would want to be out there with bright lights shining in their eyes.
That is an EXCELLENT idea, nhkev - thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 AM

40,073 posts, read 19,418,994 times
Perhaps this problem will be time limited....they may be transients. Do they own or rent...you might try speaking to the land lord if they are renters.....but if so ....he/she is probably already trying to evict them.....from what you say they have little regard for the exterior property....they probably are not good tenants.

I would be very cautious about trying to use the halogen lights solution; that kind of self help can lead to more trouble. I would expect some sort of vandalism in retaliation....slashed tires or shooting out the lights.....be careful about starting a neighborhood war.

It is very unlikely that using yourself as an "aversive consequence" will get the desired response and that they will "see the light" and want to calmly resolve the differences amicably...it is highly probable that it will exacerbate an already unfriendly situation. After all the intent of their party is not to annoy you....it is their social life.....the sole intent of your halogen lights would be hostility directed at them.

Last edited by elston; 11-20-2012 at 04:19 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Perhaps this problem will be time limited....they may be transients. Do they own or rent...you might try speaking to the land lord if they are renters.....but if so ....he/she is probably already trying to evict them.....from what you say they have little regard for the exterior property....they probably are not good tenants.

I would be very cautious about trying to use the halogen lights solution; that kind of self help can lead to more trouble. I would expect some sort of vandalism in retaliation....slashed tires or shooting out the lights.....be careful about starting a neighborhood war.

It is very unlikely that using yourself as an "aversive consequence" will get the desired response and that they will "see the light" and want to calmly resolve the differences amicably...it is highly probable that it will exacerbate an already unfriendly situation. After all the intent of their party is not to annoy you....it is their social life.....the sole intent of your halogen lights would be hostility directed at them.
I know you're right, Elston - I don't want to make things any worse. They're definitely renters - the place is a pig sty. I'll find out who the landlord is and take that route. I also found out that there is indeed a noise ordinance in Lee County and that I can call the Sheriff's Office, even before 10pm. Hopefully we can settle this peacefully and without conflict.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM

154 posts, read 317,271 times
Default Ignore feature

I would probably try the subtle approach--talk to them, if they are renters talk to the landlord, if there is still a problem send them, and/or the landlord, a registered letter asking them to correct the problem stating that if the noise continues you will take whatever legal action is necessary.

If none of the above works, you could have an attorney send them a letter threatening to sue, whether you really intend to or not--that often gets someone's attention.

BTW, there is a way to "ignore" certain posters in your control panel. I use it occasionally on those who spew nothing but trash and it has made this board a better place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area