Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's interesting, Samiamnh. Why do you go to Blind Pass instead of Bowmans, which looks much nicer on Google maps?
Actually we go in the Sanibel side....true it is much smaller but interesting.No crowds,good shelling,good fishing and a nice sand bar at low tide.We noticed that it has eroded a little this year which narrows the beach at high tide,but still a nice relaxing beach to hand out on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Actually we go in the Sanibel side....true it is much smaller but interesting.No crowds,good shelling,good fishing and a nice sand bar at low tide.We noticed that it has eroded a little this year which narrows the beach at high tide,but still a nice relaxing beach to hand out on.
Thanks for the advice. We will probably go to Sanibel several times and we will definitely check out Blind Pass.

I looked at the tide charts. As expected, there are two low tides each day, but the one low tide is MUCH lower than the other, and it comes just after the highest of the two high tides.

Is shelling the best at the lowest of the two low tides?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM

I don't shell much but wifey likes to shell on any outgoing tide

Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
OK, we will see you all tomorrow afternoon. We are staying near Santini Plaza for two weeks.

I was born in 1945. My dad was a farmer in Ohio, and every winter we would live in a trailer on San Carlos Island and I would attend the Beach School. It was a fun place to grow up. There were several other kids on the island and we had a lot of freedom. When I was 12, we moved into town.

We used to love hanging around the shrimp boat yards on San Carlos Island. One of my friend's father lived and worked at the one where the Parrot Key Grill is now, and I thought that was so neat - living in a shrimp yard. Could life be any more exciting?

I heard the owner of Santini Plaza is Truman Santini, one of my Little League friends. When I was about 13, we went bowling and I kept staring at a very beautiful teen-age girl on the next lane. I found out later it was Joan Santini.

When I was 10, I would ride my bike to the grocery store on FMB and read all of the comic books. When we were there last year, I noticed the building is still there, but it is now the liquor store.

One of my friends Jean Foster wrote a book "We Never Wore Shoes", which tells about growing up at FMB. Maybe we can find it in the library.

When I was home from college, I used to like going to Bunche Beach. One time I got a shell stuck in my foot and it later turned into a terrible plantars wart, which was hard to remove in those days. This time, I'm going to protect my feet better. From what I see on Google maps, Bunche Beach is just like it was 50 years ago.

After our trip, I'll let you know how it went.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wouldn't care if the water tasted like wine. It is 68 degrees in the Gulf of Mexico.

However, all the beaches are still beautiful! I agree. Magnificent sunsets too.
The Gulf is already that cool? I visited Miami-Fort Lauderdale Area just earlier this month and the water was 80F! Must be because the weather is cooling off slightly...

Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 AM

Nice srory,Hiker45......must have been nice growing up on the beach.Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 AM

BTW......Went for a cruise the other day and the water was still very murky around FMB but less so around Lovers Key and cleared up nicely as we got into Bonita Springs

Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The Gulf is already that cool? I visited Miami-Fort Lauderdale Area just earlier this month and the water was 80F! Must be because the weather is cooling off slightly...
Entirely different body of water. However, you can always get the coastal temperatures from NOAA. 11/29 water temperature in Naples - 68 F

[url=http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof_tmap.html]NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide[/url]

Interesting - the Sun-Sentinel reports water temp averaging 79 degrees in Miami.

[url=http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/marine/]South Florida Marine Forecast - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com[/url]

Edit: Maybe someone will have better luck searching, but I can't find any temperature listings in local papers. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

[url=http://www.naplesnews.com/weather/FL/Naples/]Weather Forecast and Radar for Naples Florida and the Surrounding Areas.[/url]

Okay - on the right there is a link to beach information. Good luck..I'm done searching, since I don't have plans to go to the beach!

Last week the evenings were cool for a couple of nights, briefly dropping into the 40s, so maybe that affected the water temperature. It's been a little warmer this week, however.

Have fun!

Last edited by justNancy; 11-29-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
^^^I know it's a different body of water, but I thought the Gulf Stream affected the Atlantic, so there would be roughly the same water temp.? Oh well...
Wow I didn't know the nights had gotten into the 40sF already. Interesting.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^^I know it's a different body of water, but I thought the Gulf Stream affected the Atlantic, so there would be roughly the same water temp.? Oh well...
Wow I didn't know the nights had gotten into the 40sF already. Interesting.
We get cold spells and then it warms up quickly. For example, it's 61 in Fort Myers now and it's after 2AM. However, I remember a couple of years when we experienced 40 degree lows in October. This time of year the weather is really nice most of the time. An average of 75-80 during the day, and 55-60 at night.

I just checked and the air temperature is 73 in Fort Lauderdale. Naples is 64. Fort Myers Beach is 61. As a full-time resident, I like it when the temp drops to 55 at night - no a/c! Right now it's very pleasant in Fort Myers, just a little humid. Dew point is 54.

Here's an article in the News-Press from earlier this month about the cold snap.

[url]http://www.news-press.com/article/20121109/WEATHER/311090025/Southwest-Florida-s-latest-cold-snap-will-short-lived[/url]

"Temperatures fell into the mid 40s inland early this morning as the latest cold front worked its way through Southwest Florida."

Last edited by justNancy; 11-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area