U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,710,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
The dew point is only the temperature at which the current humidity will create fog or "dew". The Midwest has dew points in the summer time that are higher than they are here. A few years ago I was in Chicago in August, the dew point was 82, I don't remember ever seeing a dew point that high here. The issue with comparing the weather here to the weather up North is just the lack of relief in Florida. While they may have a week or so of 90+ degree weather with 70+ degree dew points, they usually get a few days break between heat waves, while in Florida it's those heat waves they get there for pretty much 4 straight months.
Disagree totally with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 PM

693 posts, read 1,775,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Disagree totally with this.
What exact part do you disagree with? And just because you disagree, doesn't mean it's not true. Some of the highest dew points ever record in the continental United States have been in Iowa, not Florida.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,568,503 times
82 is too oppressive to even go outside! Chicago's highest dew point is 83 degrees, recorded July 30, 1999. (Chicago Tribune)

This discussion really isn't about comparing one place with the other. The OP asked about water quality, referring to swimming. I said the water was too cold for me to swim in after Nov, although it has gone up since I posted 68 degrees. Currently the Gulf temperature is 72. (per NOAA) After a long period of dry weather, it's been raining a lot, so it's not really beach weather, but that can change in a minute.

I was thinking of this thread last night, because it was after midnight and I woke up sweating. I realize that this house is not well insulated, which makes a very big difference (and it might be hormones or I was having a dream about Richard Gere! lol) but I turned the A/C down to 75 to get the dampness out of the air and was able to go back to bed after watching a rerun of "The Closer" on TNT.

Anyway, I checked the weather online and it was 79 degrees, 88% humidity and the dew point was 74. Saying that's not miserably uncomfortable in the wee hours of the morning because, on rare occasions, Chicago has had very high dew points in the summer, is like saying when it's 30 F it isn't very cold here because it's minus 22 in Point Barrow. So what? When I wrote that the weather in SW Florida is hot & muggy, it wasn't a complaint, just a fact. Snowbirds are arriving in droves and they're all happy!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
82 is too oppressive to even go outside! Chicago's highest dew point is 83 degrees, recorded July 30, 1999. (Chicago Tribune)

This discussion really isn't about comparing one place with the other. The OP asked about water quality, referring to swimming. I said the water was too cold for me to swim in after Nov, although it has gone up since I posted 68 degrees. Currently the Gulf temperature is 72. (per NOAA) After a long period of dry weather, it's been raining a lot, so it's not really beach weather, but that can change in a minute.

I was thinking of this thread last night, because it was after midnight and I woke up sweating. I realize that this house is not well insulated, which makes a very big difference (and it might be hormones or I was having a dream about Richard Gere! lol) but I turned the A/C down to 75 to get the dampness out of the air and was able to go back to bed after watching a rerun of "The Closer" on TNT.

Anyway, I checked the weather online and it was 79 degrees, 88% humidity and the dew point was 74. Saying that's not miserably uncomfortable in the wee hours of the morning because, on rare occasions, Chicago has had very high dew points in the summer, is like saying when it's 30 F it isn't very cold here because it's minus 22 in Point Barrow. So what? When I wrote that the weather in SW Florida is hot & muggy, it wasn't a complaint, just a fact. Snowbirds are arriving in droves and they're all happy!
That's funny, turn the a/c down to 75 when the outside temp is 67. The humidity can be annoying, but after the summer I don't even notice it during the winter. I just turn on all the ceiling fans and the breeze keeps everything dry and cool. A dew point of 74 when its 75 is a huge difference than a dew point of 74 when its 92.

And just an fyi high dew points in Chicago are not rare, it is humid all summer long.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
That's funny, turn the a/c down to 75 when the outside temp is 67.
Where did I write that?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Where did I write that?
You said last night you turned your a/c down to 75 because you were sweating. The low last night was 67. So you turned your a/c down to 8 degrees above the outside temperature.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You said last night you turned your a/c down to 75 because you were sweating. The low last night was 67. So you turned your a/c down to 8 degrees above the outside temperature.
:smack

Billy, I wrote in my post that I checked the temperature and it was 79. I didn't just pick some random numbers out of the blue. I also have a thermometer/hygrometer outside on the patio.

I also don't understand the purpose of your post. It was hot in my house and I turned down the thermostat to 75. So what's your problem?

Right now it is 74 in the Fort Myers area, 98% humidity and the dew point is 73. There might be some variation by zip code of course. It also just started to rain heavily, so that can make a difference. But okay, you win..Florida is very dry, low humidity and dew points are always under 50.

Edit: Since this thread is about the Gulf of Mexico, I want to add that I can't find any current readings. Last time I checked the average water temperature reported in the Gulf was 72. I've seen reports in the past few days ranging from 71 to 75 degrees F. The warmest water temps are in Monroe County, averaging 81 degrees F.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: add water temperatures

Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
:smack

Billy, I wrote in my post that I checked the temperature and it was 79. I didn't just pick some random numbers out of the blue. I also have a thermometer/hygrometer outside on the patio.

I also don't understand the purpose of your post. It was hot in my house and I turned down the thermostat to 75. So what's your problem?

Right now it is 74 in the Fort Myers area, 98% humidity and the dew point is 73. There might be some variation by zip code of course. It also just started to rain heavily, so that can make a difference. But okay, you win..Florida is very dry, low humidity and dew points are always under 50.

Edit: Since this thread is about the Gulf of Mexico, I want to add that I can't find any current readings. Last time I checked the average water temperature reported in the Gulf was 72. I've seen reports in the past few days ranging from 71 to 75 degrees F. The warmest water temps are in Monroe County, averaging 81 degrees F.
No one ever said it was very dry, low humidity, and there are low dew points. I found it funny that at the time you turned your a/c down to 75 the outside temp was 67, it was not 79 degrees after midnight, the intelligent move would be to open up a window and flip on a fan. I was also simply explaining that high dew points with relatively low temperatures is a lot more comfortable than high dew points and low 90's. It amazes me time and time again when people complain about the humidity, you are in the subtropics,

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-23-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
the intelligent move would be to open up a window and flip on a fan.
No, it would be much less efficient on an evening when the air is saturated, especially if there wasn't a breeze. If my thermostat read 79 and turning on the a/c for 20 minutes brought the indoor temperature down to 75, it makes a lot more sense than opening up windows and turning on fans during an electrical storm. What's your problem? By the way, fans do not have any effect on the temperature in a room. Also, leaving windows open late at night while you're sleeping is not safe and the Lee County Sheriff's Dept advises against it. I just don't see why you continue to harp on this.
Quote:

It amazes me time and time again when people complain about the humidity, you are in the subtropics, if you want dry weather, move to Arizona.
Can you please show me where I "complained" about anything?

What is it with people on the SWFL forums? Someone can't say "the water was very murky today" or "it was very hot & muggy last night" without being told to leave the state because it's too much whining and complaining.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
No, it would be much less efficient on an evening when the air is saturated, especially if there wasn't a breeze. If my thermostat read 79 and turning on the a/c for 20 minutes brought the indoor temperature down to 75, it makes a lot more sense than opening up windows and turning on fans during an electrical storm. What's your problem? By the way, fans do not have any effect on the temperature in a room. Also, leaving windows open late at night while you're sleeping is not safe and the Lee County Sheriff's Dept advises against it. I just don't see why you continue to harp on this.

Can you please show me where I "complained" about anything?

What is it with people on the SWFL forums? Someone can't say "the water was very murky today" or "it was very hot & muggy last night" without being told to leave the state because it's too much whining and complaining.
There were 25 mph wind gusts. What do you consider breezy? You don't want to turn on fans during an electrical storm, but have no issues running an a/c unit that is outside and attached to hundreds of feet of metal duct work? lol I like that train of thought. Although fans do not directly change the temperature of a room they remove stagnated air and replace it will cooler air from another area. 1 mph of air movement can make you feel 3-4 degrees cooler, normal ceiling fans move air at over 4 mph, you do the math, this is the entire basis of wind chill. I am sorry you live in an area in which you feel unsafe if you leave your windows open at night while you are home, I however do not and enjoy the 68 degree nights whether or not the humidity is 10% or 100%. The Sheriffs Dept advises against a lot of things that are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area