Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times

Advertisements

We are going to Fort Myers Beach next week and staying for two weeks. I have read that Red Tide has become a problem.

We are planning to visit all of the beaches (Bowmans, Bunche, Lovers Key, Barefoot, Wiggins). Will the water quality be about the same at all of them, or will the beaches closer to Naples have better water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:51 PM

23 posts, read 75,819 times
just walked the pier at ft m b and the water was real murky, real shame, don't think it was red tide, just runoff from colloosahatchee

Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
We are going to Fort Myers Beach next week and staying for two weeks. I have read that Red Tide has become a problem.

We are planning to visit all of the beaches (Bowmans, Bunche, Lovers Key, Barefoot, Wiggins). Will the water quality be about the same at all of them, or will the beaches closer to Naples have better water?
Haven't had any warnings or news of red tide in a couple weeks. The most recent tests are showing mostly very low to no signs, and the further South you go the better it is apparently. Bowmans is the closest beach to the highest concentration areas which are offshore of Charlotte county from what I hear.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
Water is still the color of coffee at FMB.....we've been going to Blind Pass at Sanibel when we want to hit a beach.Water is clear and turquoise.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Water is still the color of coffee at FMB.....we've been going to Blind Pass at Sanibel when we want to hit a beach.Water is clear and turquoise.
That's interesting, Samiamnh. Why do you go to Blind Pass instead of Bowmans, which looks much nicer on Google maps?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's interesting, Samiamnh. Why do you go to Blind Pass instead of Bowmans, which looks much nicer on Google maps?
In my opinion they are both gorgeous.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's nice to hear. Bowmans looks beautiful on the map, but Blind Pass doesn't look like much. However, we will be sure to visit it.

That's how trips are. I like to plan things out very thoroughly, but it is neat when we are surprised.

We were in Arizona 10 years ago, and one day we were going to drive from Mesa Verde CO to Zion National Park UT, most of the drive going across northern AZ. I thought it would be a wasted day driving thru a desert, but the country was absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed it very much.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I wouldn't care if the water tasted like wine. It is 68 degrees in the Gulf of Mexico.

However, all the beaches are still beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I agree. Magnificent sunsets too.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

However, all the beaches are still beautiful! I agree. Magnificent sunsets too.
My favorite area is across from Blind Pass Beach and the causeway on the Sanibel side. Lots of shells and stunning. It can get a bit scary when high tide is coming in, though, for swimming. But oh, so beautiful.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wouldn't care if the water tasted like wine. It is 68 degrees in the Gulf of Mexico.

However, all the beaches are still beautiful! I agree. Magnificent sunsets too.
Lakes up North don't get a whole lot warmer than that, so it won't be as shocking to them as it is for those of us that live here year around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area