Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Those of you that have been around awhile know that I usually report when I see the snowbirds start heading through my area on I-75. They usually have Florida plates, sometimes in an RV and hauling their possessions for a winter stay. I don't know. After living in Florida I can spot a bird from quite a ways away.

Well, we've been seeing a steady stream coming through the past couple of weeks. This is my seventh year observing and it is by far the earliest I have seen them come through.

Yes, it became colder early this year. Even earlier than last year and that was a record breaker. But what is curious is that they started trooping through when the weather was nice; in fact unseasonably warm.

I hope that this bodes well for your neck of the woods. I think it does. I just got a feeling.

Either way, I always wave as they all come through my city. Folks must think, "Why is that lady with the young girl and big fat dog waving at us? Those Knoxvillians are a strange lot!"

Happy season to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 06:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
lolol Thanks for the headsup! I've noticed a bit of an increase in our ER, a sure sign that they slowing coming down. I love when snowbirds come, it's job security.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Sorry, gotta be the contrarian once again........

Most of my customer have typically arrived back in the first two weeks of October. This year they are getting here in the first two weeks of November....a full month late.

Hard not to notice that, but I'm thrilled they are getting here, none the less.........

YC.......

Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

Most of my customer have typically arrived back in the first two weeks of October. This year they are getting here in the first two weeks of November....a full month late.

Hard not to notice that, but I'm thrilled they are getting here, none the less.........

YC.......

I had my boat worked on two days before I arrived down. the guy that does my boat work said he is swamped , I made my appt 5 weeks ahead of time and still barely got it in.

anyhoo most of the resturaunts I went to during the week were very busy. but I'll talk about that on my vacation recap thread.

I got back to mass on saturday and we tried getting my son's last soccer game in.
Attached Thumbnails
The Snowbirds are Coming!-soccer-game.jpg  

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 AM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
I've noticed traffic pick up and a lot of right blinkers and left turns...if you know what I mean

Old 11-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRESI View Post
I've noticed traffic pick up and a lot of right blinkers and left turns...if you know what I mean

i've been meaning to get this to you, you had asked for a fall foliage pic
Attached Thumbnails
The Snowbirds are Coming!-foliage-street.jpg  

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 AM

646 posts, read 1,642,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
i've been meaning to get this to you, you had asked for a fall foliage pic

That is BEAUTIFUL Kev!! Thank you!!! I don't miss the snow one bit...but the changing from summer to fall, I miss dearly.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I had my boat worked on two days before I arrived down. the guy that does my boat work said he is swamped , I made my appt 5 weeks ahead of time and still barely got it in.
I tell my folks the same thing................I think it's called a "marketing" technique.

Whatever, one still tries to get things done as close to the time as the customer arrives as possible.......less time for birds ( and other facets of nature ) to do their thing, and make it look as though you hadnt been there at all.

I'm quite busy for the next couple of weeks myself.......

Funny how there is always more than one way of looking at things, eh? It's called "perspective" I believe.

YC.......

Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post

YC.......
It was pretty warm in October this year, above normal in Ontario Canada. That might be one of the reasons.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:42 PM

well in this area there are plenty of people wanting to throw in the towel. power is still out in almost 100% in this area. overnight temps are below freezing. even some that had generators found that gas stations can't refill gas cans if they don't have power. The whole town and all the town's surrounded were completely shut down. no atm's , grocery stores, or gas stations. If people weren't prepared for this storm they were in for a rude awakening.

as far as natural disasters go , this was 10 times worse than any hurricane that has ever hit this area. but yet still does not hold a candle to the destruction that the tornado did to the area back on June 1st. it is amazing there are any trees left between the 3 events.

but in a way it has all brought people together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area